Master Racings - what length i speed Supershape ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Master Racings - what length i speed Supershape ?

Postby Robert » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Dear PMTS skiers

Can anyone help? Diana wrote an interesting article suggesting the SS I speed as a possible ski for masters racing. I’ve read lots of PMTS posts on length section but can’t find the answer to my question.

I’m about to buy a pair of 2019 - ss i speed skis in 170 cm or 177cm as my primary ski for practicing PMTS (for masters racing) and also maybe use them as my ski for my once a year go at GS masters racing. I had the original supershapes and found them really fun but a bit too short at 12m radius and softer than I prefer.

I’ve actually quite enjoyed the stiffer Fischer World Cup RC. 175cm - 16m radius (about 2012 model) and presently ski all mountain (includiing reasonably happy in the moguls ) as well as the fact that I originally purchased it for masters racing and practice. The problem though is when practicing to be working on (my best go at) racing turns, I don’t get enough turns in per each bit of piste so a smaller radius makes sense for lots of reasons.

Is there an obvious reason to go 170 or 178 ? I don’t have a feel for 14m vs 14.9 metre radius. If the 170cm is really a better choice overall but not race usefu, I could still use the old Fischers for a bit longer just for the masters (especially since there is now a super G).

About my skiing ability.
I’m 61, very fit for my age since I ride a stand up paddle board in the surf through the year (so my fore-aft balance is considerably improved and I’m quite strong squatting). I’m not a great racer but most often get a silver medal on the Nastar course (very occassionally a gold or a bronze) and ski about 10 days a year. I’m 5’11 (178 cm) and 170lbs (77kg). Skiing in a (2017) Lange RS wide 130 flex boot.

Any advice appreciated.
Robert

Re: Master Racings - what length i speed Supershape ?

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 am

Are you running GS on a Nastar course or a Master's course? Around here they are different sets.
Max_501

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi Max,

Thanks for responding. Yes my question is about GS for masters racing which over here is also set differently to the Nastar (ie steeper and faster like the US I guess).
I know if it was just for Nastar I’d probably be happiest on the 170cm.

I suspect you're likely to recommend the 170cm as the best size for me ( then the question is if the 170cm would be long enough to still use in masters racing).
I'm assuming the 177 would be better for masters but maybe you might suggest it would be a good choice as well for my general skiing anyway.
Maybe I should be considering something completely different I haven't thought of (though to me - relying on PMTS advice - the new SS i speed sounds ideal for my normal skiing).

I'd really trust your advice and insight Max.

I will typically only own one pair of skis at a time, so my main issue is I don’t want to spoil my next ski (Head SS i speed) by choosing the wrong ski length for that ski type.

If there is a certain size SS i speed that is right for me, but not masters racing then my Fischer wc rc 175 might have a few more tunes left in them, and I could, as a fall back position, rent a ski for the 2 days I do masters each year ie GS & recently SG (last year was the first for offering a masters SG at Thredbo so was set only slightly faster and longer than the GS course ).
Robert

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 pm

IMO 170cm is too short for GS.

Note that I think its best to stay out of gates until you can consistently put your hip 8" from the snow with all of the Essentials being dialed. If you can't do that when free skiing then chances are good you'll be pivoting to stay in a course.
Max_501

Postby Robert » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Max,

Thanks for that.

Yes, I think I get that hastening into the masters race course isn’t the best plan from the PMTS skill development aspect, so at my stage of skiing I do it knowing that I won’t be executing it so well.

Could you offer an opinion as to whehter for general skiing and for practicing PMTS the 177cm ss I speed is workable ?
Robert

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Robert wrote:Could you offer an opinion as to whehter for general skiing and for practicing PMTS the 177cm ss I speed is workable ?

I have the 177 i.speed and the 170 SS kers. As a beginner in PMTS, I find the 177 i.speed MUCH more difficult to ski and perform exercises. Everything happens slower on the 177, so you have to be way more precise...which is difficult enough on the 170 kers. 7cm may not seem like much, but I will tell you...there are exercises that I can perform on the 170, that are impossible for me to perform on the 177. For me personally, the 177 is next to useless as a learning ski.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:15 pm

noobSkier wrote:I have the 177 i.speed and the 170 SS kers. As a beginner in PMTS, I find the 177 i.speed MUCH more difficult to ski and perform exercises. Everything happens slower on the 177, so you have to be way more precise...which is difficult enough on the 170 kers. 7cm may not seem like much, but I will tell you...there are exercises that I can perform on the 170, that are impossible for me to perform on the 177. For me personally, the 177 is next to useless as a learning ski.

Excellent post.
Max_501

Postby Robert » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks noobSkier & Max,

Just the advice I needed. Thank you both, I've just ordered the 170cm size.

regards Robert
Robert

Return to Gear