Kneissl

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Kneissl

Postby blackthorn » Fri May 18, 2018 2:35 pm

My first skis were Kneissl - wooden with screw on edges, 210cms. So, lots of nostalgia, including watching the Kneissl helicopter hovering over the downhill in Kitzbuhel in 1977.
Does anyone have any experience with their modern range especially those suitable as a PMTS piste carver? This is just out of interest really as I have recently purchased a pair of SZ14, but those returning from Hintertux may have seen some around.
blackthorn

Re: Kneissl

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu May 24, 2018 10:16 am

I haven't seen a 'modern' Kneissl since 2007 I think... Have they made any skis in the last 10 years? Not sure I'd risk buying without a demo, or finding out who is building for them... Unlikely they have their own factory.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby blackthorn » Thu May 24, 2018 1:54 pm

They have a website http://www.kneissl.com and I understand they sell direct through this website. They describe their skis as being handmade. Kneissl have an illustrious history but lost their way, financial problems, various changes of ownership etc. As far as I can determine they are currently run by a member of the Kneissl family. Some of their skis might well be good on piste carvers but, as you say, would best be skied first before buying. Hence my wondering if anyone recently visiting Austria had tried any.
blackthorn

Postby jbotti » Thu May 24, 2018 4:07 pm

I looked at their website when you first posted about them. They look like they make some nice skis. Unfortunately there are a lot of European indie ski cos that make skis that have specs that look fantastic. But specs mean little when it comes down to a how a ski skis. The Head SS Titan is a great example. The specs look amazing. 80 underfoot with a super tight radius. What's their not to love. But we know from HH and others that have skied it that its too stiff and can't be bent so it teaches people to ride the tight sidecut.

I am not saying that these new Kneissel skis might not be great. And we will all love you for ordering a pair and playing guinea pig so you can tell us how they are. But know before you order that they may actually not be good.

Having said all this, the new owners of the Kneissel name have spent some money wisely, because you already view their start up ski company in a positive light. I think we can all say that was money well spent by them to purchase the name. But none of this means their skis are any good (which isn't to say that they aren't, we just don't know).
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Return to Gear