New Video of Technical PMTS Free Skiing

PMTS Forum

Re: New Video of Technical PMTS Free Skiing

Postby mountainbum » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:15 pm

Ah, so I gather that CA can enhance CB but is no substitute for it....is that a correct understanding?
mountainbum

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:29 pm

mountainbum wrote:Ah, so I gather that CA can enhance CB but is no substitute for it....is that a correct understanding?

No movement is a substitute for any other movement... that's why they are called ESSENTIALS of skiing... not the OPTIONALS.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby mountainbum » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:41 pm

I like that! the five "optionals"...have fun skiing without them! :lol:
mountainbum

Postby milesb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:16 pm

There is a grace to your skiing that was not there last year. I like it!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby HeluvaSkier » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Thanks Miles!

HeluvaSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Let's be clear, we aren't talking about 100/0 weight distribution here... That relationship changes through the entire turn

HeluvaSkier, can you share your experience about how that relationship changes throughout the turn?
noobSkier

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:21 pm

noobSkier wrote:HeluvaSkier, can you share your experience about how that relationship changes throughout the turn?

You're better-off focusing on balancing on the BTE of the stance ski and not worrying about weight distribution. If you're focused on being in balance, the weight distribution is inconsequential. I rarely, if-ever, think about it, while I'm thinking about how well I'm balanced to maintain a slicing outside ski all the time.

HeluvaSkier

Postby tarnaby » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:01 pm

Fantastic stuff. World cup movements. Transitions are fantastic from BTE of stance ski to LTE of uphill ski. New inside foot is getting pulled back. Great tipping (if I were skiing behind you, I'd be able to see your bases at the top of the turn in the high C/before the fall line). What I find so impressive is the flexing of the inside leg. So efficient. You are using the skis exactly as they were designed. You're pulling that inside foot back, tipping that inside foot and flexing that inside leg. You end up with long leg/short leg - BUT not b/c you've pushed on that o/s foot but rather as an outcome of the previously mentioned movements. (CA and CB are also outstanding.) You look like a world cup ski racer free skiing. Well done and thanks for sharing.
tarnaby

Postby Roundturns » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Superb as usual for sure. As great as the skiing is the person operating the camera is a Heluva cameraman! Holimont snowfall this season exceeded Vail's. Too bad you couldn't have more vert to keep turning on.

I'm just curious on a typical day of free skiing how many runs would you make ? I'm guessing with your coaching you don't have that much time to free ski yourself, which makes what you are able to do all the more impressive.

I grew up skiing in WNY and although the snow conditions in the video look very good, there are plenty of icy scratchy days on the hill Heluva had to ski on to get to this level. I am fortunate to now ski a good bit in Colorado, and it's a lot more forgiving conditions IMHO.

Good work. Unfortunately here in this neck of the woods we're done for the season even though here in the Pittsburgh suburbs tonight it's snowing!
Roundturns

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:09 am

Roundturns wrote:I'm just curious on a typical day of free skiing how many runs would you make ? I'm guessing with your coaching you don't have that much time to free ski yourself, which makes what you are able to do all the more impressive.

Hi Roundturns,
Thanks for the compliments... I always say when skiing in WNY, you have to learn to ski on the bad snow snow first before you can graduate to the good snow!

I've actually started coaching MUCH less than I was 6-8 years ago. I decided after we joined Holimont that my time on snow was MY time, not someone else's. I still coach kids and adult racers from time to time, but they are people who are friends and who are truly interested in what I have to offer and I do it around my skiing schedule so I can maximize my quality snow time.

A typical day on snow for me is ~15 runs (remember, short runs) in the morning before lunch, a 1-1.5 hour lunch, followed by ~10 runs in the afternoon (sometimes ~15 in the afternoon if the snow is good). The morning runs are almost always on black terrain at high speeds (see the SL/GS video) and the afternoon runs are usually on more mellow terrain at lower speeds on less performance-oriented skis.

I do find that the better shape I'm in, the more quality runs I get in the afternoon. This was one of the first years that I was skiing video-quality runs in the afternoon... Usually my skiing would deteriorate as my legs got more tired.

HeluvaSkier

Postby geoffda » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am

Great skiing Heluva! Thanks for posting to the group. Really impressed with the progress that you've made with your CA work.
geoffda

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue May 01, 2018 10:00 am

geoffda wrote:Great skiing Heluva! Thanks for posting to the group. Really impressed with the progress that you've made with your CA work.

Thanks Geoff. I'm happy to read you noticed the CA... that's been a long time coming. :x

HeluvaSkier

Postby l2ski » Wed May 02, 2018 7:24 am

HeluvaSkier,

Your skiing is just beautiful. I appreciate that you post the videos
and the drills; even before you temporarily took the videos down, I
was watching your skiing as an example of great technique.
And I believe I see a slight o-frame is some of those short turns when I slow
them down.
l2ski

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed May 02, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks l2ski, very kind comments, and yes, there is noticeable O-frame in several runs, especially the GS turns where the tipping needs to be more aggressive to get the early engagement (I hope it is there anyway! I try to practice what I preach!).

I took the channel down last season because I was growing tired of the constant attacks from various groups. Through the spring/summer I realized how many people actually were using the channel (messaging me to bring it back, etc.) so I put it back up and made an effort to generate some more content.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:53 pm

Questions like how much weight on the inside ski are irrelevant at this level of skiing. Non is the answer, however, you have to manage what you are dealt from turn to turn at this level, there are no fixed parameters, you change as is needed and you change what isn't working.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System