MA (& alignment) request for nothing Clever

MA (& alignment) request for nothing Clever

Postby NothingClever » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:44 am

Hi Everyone - been a long time since i saw myself ski, and in new boots this year. Video is doing a few turns with no pole swing (find it helps me retract turns more consistently). Have 2 MA requests...
#1 Alignment. I'm comfortable skiing the boots with no canting adjustment but wonder if the stronger setup limits the right body movements so trying the boots with a softer setup... In this video both boots are at .75 degrees with the thick side out (e.g. "soft"). My right turns look a little better than the left turns so (i) i'm wondering if i'm too soft on the right boot compared to the left, and (ii) does it generally look like I'm in the ballpark at .75 degrees on the left boot.
#2 General MA: I need to make a consistent effort to get video as it really highlights the difference between what you think you are doing vs. actually doing! I know i'm too static when i ski, and need to develop all the PMTS skills to improve my skiing. (i) What are suggested drills I focus on for video feedback, and (ii) anything specific you can see from these few turns?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fPvM9Q ... e=youtu.be

Thanks everyone!
NothingClever

Re: MA (& alignment) request for nothing Clever

Postby mardale » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Can you try super-phantom with touch-tilt?
mardale

Postby rnordell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:57 am

Yes, the right foot is a little weaker than the left. You can see the right knee consistently drop in during right turns a little more than the left knee. Ski the right foot flat and keep the left tipped in 0.75 (maybe come it to a full 1.0). Have you purchased a copy of the alignment tech manual? There are a set of good exercises to do that isolate alignment at low speeds from an individuals technique. You really need to do all of them, (straight run lifting a foot, traverses both directions, one turn phantom...) to accurately cant the boots so they are not too far in, and yet not too far out.
rnordell

Postby NothingClever » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:00 pm

Thanks RNordell. Appreciate the additional set of eyes. 1-foot traverse on uphill edge is the drill I find is easiest to guage and feel how the alignment is. On the old boots the uphill edge had a consistent clean edge and feel (as well as being easy to balance on). I'll pay extra attention to the finer differences between left and right boots. I'll experiment more on both boots and then get additional video (including mardale's super phantom suggestion!). Thanks!
NothingClever

Postby rnordell » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Don't trust your feelings, unlike Luke Skywalker (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIrOE_fnl8) believe your eyes and ignore your feelings, they will deceive you "like the dark side"... Get someone to shoot video of you doing the alignment tests that are in the tech manual and make your evaluations from that. I forgot to mention that Diana put together a nice video this past year (https://harbskisystems.com/collections/ ... ent-evideo) that is a nice companion to the tech manual. This is great for those that have not been to, or are not able to, make it to the Alignment Tech Training camp (a great way to spend a week in October!). The video goes over many of the visual cues you are looking at when you are putting a complete alignment analysis together.

I also forgot to mention to check your cuff alignment before you get too deep into sole canting. Check without canting under the soles, liners out of shells, and footbeds in the shell. Your initial setup should have the gap between your leg and the cuff symmetrical around your calf. Adjust the cuff so the gap is uniform and then proceed to the under boot sole canting work.

Cheers
RN
rnordell

Return to Movement Analysis and Video