What are you skiing?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: What are you skiing?

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:12 am

Basil j wrote:SLX is a fun ski that just works. I know people who still look for the pre- amphibio version.

IMO its rather stiff to use for developing PMTS skills. Once you have the Essentials down it rocks.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:22 pm

This thread got me thinking about the skis that I have that I don't ski. Here is a partial list:

K2 Hardside 181 (a plank)
Icelantic Shaman 184 (heavy skis and I am worn by the end of the day skiing these in pow. Serious tanks)
Head ISL RD 165 (for racing which I am doing no more. I am tall so I much prefer slalom carvers in the 170 length)
Head i.Speed 180 (great cheater GS ski that I used in gates but I am no longer racing)
Head Rev 105 191 (fun ski but overkill for all but the deepest of pow days, would need 2-3 feet of fresh to take them out)
Fisher Watea 94
Fisher Watea 84
Kastle MX 78 (fun carver but on the stiff side for off piste skiing and the White Out dusts it)
Head Peak 84 (just too much overlap and like the Blossom White Out better)
Head SS Kers (its old and worn but with sentimental value))
Head IM 78 177 (really worn with no camber left but has huge sentimental value)
Rossi race room GS ski 182 (at 35mph it comes to life and at 45mph it just rocks but I am trying not arc at those speeds).

It's been a fun thread. Very limited originality (by most) which is a good thing!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby DougD » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

jbotti wrote:This thread got me thinking about the skis that I have that I don't ski. Here is a partial list:

Head SS Kers (its old and worn but with sentimental value))
Head IM 78 177 (really worn with no camber left but has huge sentimental value)

It's been a fun thread. Very limited originality (by most) which is a good thing!!

On that note, I'll also list my K2 Fours/188. Bought them the first half season they hit the market. Amazing ski for their day.
DougD

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:36 pm

Basil j wrote:Have you tried any of the Curv series yet? I demoed the 72mm waist and 80mm waist versions and they were both excellent carvers. I also tried the Dynastar Speedzone ti12 in a 174cm and it was also very good.

I haven't skied them yet. I almost bought a pair in Italy last year on closeout and then again this past fall (The Curv). The problem is that they are stiff like a race ski and 75mm wide. I have a bunch of skis at 77mm wide that really like to bend and are ideal for softer snow and variable conditions that a wider ski warrants... so a stiff 75mm ski doesn't have much of a place in my quiver. If the snow is firm and groomed, I'll be on a GS or SL ski. If I were to add a waist width it would be in the 85-88mm range, but even that is unnecessary given that I have the MTN 95 which gives up little in carve performance to those waist ranges, but has much more off-piste top-end. As for the 80mm version of the ski... I have no doubt it is great (Fischer makes great skis) but I seriously don't see the utility behind an 80mm wide stiff carving ski.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:55 pm

B.Mulligan wrote:How often are you on the whiteouts?

I haven't been willing to take them out with the light coverage this season but we probably have enough to bring them out now. I'd guess I'll ski them the majority of the time that I'm not focused on drills or chasing deep pow. When I ski with jbotti I steal his when he's not looking. They are so much fun.
Max_501

Postby skiffie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:Fischer RC4 WC SL Medium 165
Fischer RC4 WC SL Stiff 165
Fischer RC4 WC GS Master 191
Fischer RC4 WC RC Pro 185
Fischer RC4 WC RC Pro 175
Fischer RC4 WC SL Medium 165
Fischer RC4 WC GS Master Stiff 188
Fischer MTN 95 186
Fischer MTN 95 178
Head Monster 98 184
Blossom White Out 176
Blossom White Out 182
Blossom Wind Shear 180
Blossom Snoras 180
Blossom White Out 176
Nobile SL 165
ZAG Z-One 184
Elan SLX WC 165
Fischer RC4 WC SL Medium 165
Fischer Progressor 9+ 175
Head GTO 200
Head GTO 180
Nordica Hellcat 186

Just wondering, the same ski is on your list multiple times... the Fischer RC4 WC SL Stiff 165 shows up 3x for example. Was that intentional? Lol.

not a single ski I would recommend for a skier who is learning PMTS (except maybe the Nobile SL)

Just curious why is that? Too stiff, too race-y, too much / not enough sidecut, etc.?

meanwhile, I am super stoked that I just found apparently the last pair of 156cm iSpeeds ON THE PLANET at half price! Super excited to hopefully try them out this weekend.
skiffie

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:16 am

skiffie wrote:Just wondering, the same ski is on your list multiple times... the Fischer RC4 WC SL Stiff 165 shows up 3x for example. Was that intentional? Lol.

not a single ski I would recommend for a skier who is learning PMTS (except maybe the Nobile SL)

Just curious why is that? Too stiff, too race-y, too much / not enough sidecut, etc.?

Yes, I have multiple pairs of the same ski.

All of my skis are too stiff/aggressive or not enough side cut for the majority of PMTS skiers.

HeluvaSkier

Postby skiffie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:45 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
skiffie wrote:Just wondering, the same ski is on your list multiple times... the Fischer RC4 WC SL Stiff 165 shows up 3x for example. Was that intentional? Lol.

Yes, I have multiple pairs of the same ski.

All of my skis are too stiff/aggressive or not enough side cut for the majority of PMTS skiers.

Ah ok thanks for explaining. I assume since you use them though they're still good for PMTS... just not for people learning? :-)
skiffie

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:54 pm

skiffie wrote:Ah ok thanks for explaining. I assume since you use them though they're still good for PMTS... just not for people learning? :-)

For an expert level PMTS skier, many of my skis work very well - especially when on very hard snow or ice. Fischer and Blossom skis especially, have very easy, predictable and consistent flex patterns (though they are likely stiffer than what would be ideal for a skier who is still developing). I actually find Head RD product to be too stiff for my liking, so ski Fischer instead as their race room stuff runs much softer, in general.

HeluvaSkier

Postby skiffie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:22 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote:
skiffie wrote:Ah ok thanks for explaining. I assume since you use them though they're still good for PMTS... just not for people learning? :-)

For an expert level PMTS skier, many of my skis work very well - especially when on very hard snow or ice. Fischer and Blossom skis especially, have very easy, predictable and consistent flex patterns (though they are likely stiffer than what would be ideal for a skier who is still developing). I actually find Head RD product to be too stiff for my liking, so ski Fischer instead as their race room stuff runs much softer, in general.

Thanks for the info :D
skiffie

Postby oggy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Wow, for a change I now feel out of place for having too few and too old skis, rather than being the weird guy with too many skis.

Fischer Race SC 165cm, 2010 or such
Blizzard Sigma X-Race something something, 182cm, unknown vintage, but old
Movement Jam 182cm (I think), 2013 model or so (the green one)
Correupt Pow 186 (I think)

I love the Fischers - don't know if I'm just used to them, but I'm still to come across a slalom-ish ski (14m TR) that I like better. Blizzard - don't know much about this one, it was an done as an add for Teekanne, an Austrian tea company :mrgreen: I think it's some kind of an old RD ski (>21m radius suggests that). But it bends surprisingly well on a good day, and it's as stable as a truck.

Jams I use for touring and off piste. I like them quite a lot, but my fore-aft obviously needs some work, as I tend to nose dive with them occasionally in powder, especially when going from fluffy to sticky stuff. I put Tyrolia's Ambition bindings on it, I'd stay away from those - they ice over like crazy. Nothing better than hiking up to a windy summit and then removing the ice for 5 minutes before you can go down. Bonus points if you forget your pocket knife.

The Correupts haven't seen any use in a while, as I changed my boots to a size smaller and haven't remounted the bindings since. I can kind of get in by maxing out the forward pressure, but then they open like crazy. Anyway, I like the ski but I think the default mount was too far forward at dead center as it's a park ski. Nose dives again. But probably the user, Candide seems to be doing fine on them ;)
oggy

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 pm

skiffie wrote:
HeluvaSkier wrote:

Thanks for the info :D

I have fisher RC4 SL how do you tell the stiffness of it. My skis are slightly bent @ the tip. Would a softer or stiffer ski be more likely to get bent ? (softer probably less metal to bend out of shape though would bend further) I took the plates off for binding mounting to put on knee bindings would that soften the ski much ? Also have a pair of Head none RD ISL both skis have .5 base & 3 degree side angle the fishers hold better on ice would it be practical to put 4 degree side angle on the isl to try to make them hold as good an edge as the fisher sl racing skis. Is it practical to put a sharper edge angle on a ski with less torsional stiffness so the ski would hold an edge as well as a race ski?
Darren

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 am

Darren wrote:
1) I have fisher RC4 SL how do you tell the stiffness of it. My skis are slightly bent @ the tip. Would a softer or stiffer ski be more likely to get bent ? (softer probably less metal to bend out of shape though would bend further)

2) I took the plates off for binding mounting to put on knee bindings would that soften the ski much ?

3) Also have a pair of Head none RD ISL both skis have .5 base & 3 degree side angle the fishers hold better on ice would it be practical to put 4 degree side angle on the isl to try to make them hold as good an edge as the fisher sl racing skis.

4) Is it practical to put a sharper edge angle on a ski with less torsional stiffness so the ski would hold an edge as well as a race ski?

That is a lot of questions...

1) Real race skis bend easily... so if you ski bumps on them, there is a good chance any flex race ski will be bent.

2) You what? :shock: You took the race plate off a WC race ski and put a gaper binding on them? Why bother with a race ski at all if that's what you're going to do with it... Just buy a recreational carving ski.

3) If the Head i.SL RD is a black version of the ski, it will never compare to the Fischer performance no matter what you do to it... That said, the base bevel has more of an impact on the grip than the side... Start with a fresh base grind and a .5 degree base bevel.

4) A tune can help a non-race ski grip on ice, but a tune won't take the place of construction that promotes edge hold, dampness, etc.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Darren » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:33 am

Thanks HeluvaSkier The knee bindings still allowed the ski to flex freely. Though the plate probably would have reduced vibration & (stiffness ?) I thought the added height might have been to much as with knee binding the boot sits 1.25 inches above the ski another .5 inches probably would not have mattered ?
Darren

Postby John B » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:17 am

Agree on the observations about Fischer. I just picked up a set of Fischer RC4 SLs. I am really enjoying this ski, absolutely superior to the last FIS ski I tried [Head iSL RD]. I noticed also, that the quality of the finishing job on the bases is just outstanding. I have a number of high end skis and the Fischer bases waxed up amazingly well. With the flex on this ski, I would thing it would be a good PMTS ski. As a disclaimer, I'm on the heavier side of the weight spectrum.
John B

PreviousNext

Return to Gear