Olympics Mens Slalom QUESTION

Olympics Mens Slalom QUESTION

Postby BrettBPotter » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:55 pm

So when Hirscher skied out and Kristofferson in the second run as well, Bodie kept saying they couldn't "push off" hard enough to change edges quickly enough. Now I have never skied one gate in my life and wouldn't have a clue what forces are taking place on this or any course but I have to wonder if this is correct analysis. Did Bodie ski with PMTS movements and does he have this wrong, as opposed to flexing to release?

I found it fascinating that the two best males Slalom skiers couldn't do what less successful WC skiers were doing.
BrettBPotter

Re: Olympics Mens Slalom QUESTION

Postby HeluvaSkier » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:35 pm

I'd interpret that as "they can't get off the skis" as-in - the skis may have been too sharp for the snow... in PMTS terms, they were having trouble releasing.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:47 pm

It was hard to tell from the camera angle what caused Hirscher to almost go over the handlebars. Could have been too aggressive a tune, not likely too weak (too much de-tuning) especially on Atomics. Bode missed a number of technical gems. However, he did say once, "He is tipping to high angles early, above the gate". No commentator I've heard on TV has ever said that which is a huge observation.
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:21 am

One of the British TV commentators - Chemmy Alcott, said (when asked about why Hirscher so so good - what is he doing that other skiers aren't) "you can see the base of his skis at the top of the turn"...

looks like she inadvertently described tipping and the high C...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 am

Good comments, we often tell students to show the bases to the side of the slope. I'd rather show them to the top of the slope.
h.harb

Postby skiffie » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm

I heard some of the Canadian commentators say that Hirscher said that missed the gate because he couldn't see it because the wind was so strong it was blowing snow across the course. I didn't catch the race sadly so can't comment on whether this was true.

Edit: never mind! I just tracked down a replay and it was fairly clear. there were some clouds though so maybe he just meant it was flat light?
skiffie

Postby willwingpang » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:17 am

h.harb wrote:Good comments, we often tell students to show the bases to the side of the slope. I'd rather show them to the top of the slope.

Do I detect a joke here?
willwingpang

Postby NoCleverName » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:06 am

willwingpang wrote:
h.harb wrote:Good comments, we often tell students to show the bases to the side of the slope. I'd rather show them to the top of the slope.

Do I detect a joke here?

I doubt it ... HH takes the High-C to a ridiculous extreme.
NoCleverName

Postby DougD » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 am

willwingpang wrote:

Do I detect a joke here?

Not at all. New PMTS students are rarely capable of getting upside-down before their skis begin to turn. Most come to camp with little or no tipping ability, and even fewer have any clue about CA/CB. Showing their bases to the top of the slope, while the ultimate goal, would be impossible at this stage of development. They don't have the movements required, so asking them to do it would only cause frustration.

Showing their bases to the side of the slope is a sensible, achievable intermediate goal along the path to the ultimate goal.

Even before that, showing your bases to the bottom of the slope is a critical instruction. Newbie skiers who've not yet discovered their edges have no idea how to even stand still on a slope. Getting them to show their bases to the bottom of the slope (and thus achieve edgehold) is a sensible, achievable beginning goal to keep the novice from falling over or sliding hopelessly downhill. Many of the early exercises in Expert Skier 1 (including some skis-off exercises) are designed to teach exactly this.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Maybe I should have said shiny side down, rather than black side uphill, for people to understand early tipping.

https://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2018/02/shiny-side-down.html

h.harb

Postby willwingpang » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:31 pm

:idea: Ding!

I will be practicing that for while :twisted:
willwingpang

Return to Racing