2017 Skis for Learning PMTS: Dynastar Speed Zone or Others

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: 2017 Skis for Learning PMTS: Dynastar Speed Zone or Othe

Postby marsound » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:51 pm

So the SZ 14's are a good PMTS ski, and the SZ 12's are less desirable but OK? Or is the binding difference great enough to eliminate them altogether?

The SZ 12's are easy to find and relatively cheap.
marsound

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:04 am

I've been skiing the SZ12 this season. I've never been on the 14. I really like this ski, especially it's ability to do almost everything well.
Great grip, not too stiff, and even skis powder well considering it's size. I've done several foot+ days with no complaints.
You can shim the mounting plate that the binding slides on if you fell it's needed. I've got 2mm in mine.
CO_Steve

Postby marsound » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Thanks CO_Steve, very helpful. Looking to replace my Fischer Progressor 8 with something more substantial - I find a 72mm WW a good all rounder in Tahoe when we have some snow :?

How hard is shimming the plate? I've never mounted/unmounted bindings.
marsound

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 pm

So the binding pieces move independently. Each will slide off the track. The track is attached with four screws in the heel area. Take them out and add a shim to the back two. Depending on how much you shim you may need longer screws.
CO_Steve

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:36 pm

jbotti wrote:The Speedzone 12 and 14 are the same skis just with different set ups. One comes with a system binding (I believe its the 14) and has a higher delta on the binding that most liked better (and the 12 comes flat). Bear in mind that you could easily find a binding for the 12 with a higher delta and replicate the set up of the 14 it but it might not be a look binding (I know nothing about Look bindings other than the ones they were putting on the 12 had minimal delta).

For most PMTS skiers that have tried it, the SZ 14 is the preferable ski so if you if you have found a pair at a good price you should grab them.

What is the delta on the speedzone 14? On what length of ski boot is the higher delta best for ? Thanks
Darren

Postby JMD » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 am

The stock delta on the Speedzone 12 with the track binding and Speedzone 14 with the race plate is both 2mm. Look/Dynastar sells a easily installed 3mm or 5mm shim kit with included longer screws that mount under the heel on the race plate. Shimming the track plate is not recommended but can be done by 2mm.
JMD

Postby Vailsteve » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:01 pm

You can also consider adding a spoiler in the bottom of the liner. I have a 3mm lift that Diana recommended under my heels.
Works great.
Vailsteve

Postby HighAngles » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 am

Vailsteve wrote:You can also consider adding a spoiler in the bottom of the liner. I have a 3mm lift that Diana recommended under my heels.
Works great.

I think you're referring to a heel lift. Keep in mind that anything added inside the boot will impact the fit. Heel lifts may move your ankles outside of the ideal position for your foot to mesh well with the shell, thus losing the ability to keep your foot positioned correctly while skiing.
HighAngles

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:36 am

Let's be clear: internal boot adjustments (zeppa, cuff spoilers) do not accomplish the same outcomes, nor address the same issues as external boot adjustments (binding/boot delta, cuff angle). One is not a replacement for the other, meaning: the need for a higher external delta angle cannot be satisfied by increasing the internal zeppa angle.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby dougtee » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:58 am

if people were to recommend one all mountain pmts ski would it still be this one?
dougtee

Postby jbotti » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:57 am

I have not skied this ski but I have spoken with HH and Diane about it. It's a carver with some all mountain versatility. Many PMTS skiers love it all over. I think the SS I.Speed is slightly more user friendly off piste. For something a little wider HH and Diana like the Blossom White Out which is a great ski but requires solid PMTS skills to ski it well and properly.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Ken » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:09 pm

All mountain PMTS ski...Stockli Laser AX. Good in fresh snow up to 6". Really good in all other conditions. Interestingly, the feel is very similar on any snow conditions. Not as narrow nor as tight a radius as a pure PMTS groomer ski, but remarkably versatile.

For shimming---eBay has 3mm (1/8") and other thicknesses of plexiglass in a variety of sizes and colors. Cut the acrylic with carpenter's saws. Tognar.com has binding screws of various lengths for about 50¢ each. I've had good results using waterproof yellow carpenter's glue in the screw holes.
Last edited by Ken on Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby ErikCO » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:31 pm

I have skied the predecessor to the Speed Zone (and Diana has said the ski I have skied is very similar to the current one) and found it to be a bit stiff for off piste. That would be my opinion on the White Out as well (having skied it a lot last year). I don't like either of them very well in bumps as I find their stiffness really throws me around if my balance is off by even a little bit (my fault for not having perfect technique and balance, but having a ski that is a little easier to recover from mistakes on is not a bad thing). The White Out is pretty good in crud and a few inches of powder over a hard base but I certainly wouldn't classify it as a great off-piste ski and what jbotti said is absolutely true. Make sure you have good PMTS fundamentals before hopping on a pair or you will not be happy with the video of yourself!

I'd probably say that the SS I.Speed is a better choice if you are looking for a true all-mountain PMTS and the Dynastar and White Out are more carving oriented with some all mountain ability. Haven't skiied the Stockli so I can't give an opinion there.
ErikCO

Postby HighAngles » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:41 pm

Ken wrote:All mountain PMTS ski...Stockli Laser AX. Good in fresh snow up to 6". Really good in all other conditions. Interestingly, the feel is very similar on any snow conditions. Not as narrow nor as tight a radius as a pure PMTS groomer ski, but remarkably versatile.

I have skied the 1st generation of this ski and the 2019 version. I can't agree about this ski being something I would recommend to other PMTS skiers. Stockli did not get the tip rocker profile correct on this ski; leaving it with very "fishy" tip engagement at the top of the turn. It does not reward strong PMTS technique.

I have been on other similar width skis that have tip rocker that do not have this same issue. I'm a fan of Stockli skis, but not this model (even though it seems to get all the buzz).
HighAngles

Previous

Return to Gear