l2ski motion analysis

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby RRT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Also, check out Diana’s “Touch down” exercise found in the eVideo on “Quick, Short-Radius Turns.” In it, she demonstrates a full proof technique to develop a sense of what it is like to get your weight on the little toe uphill edge while lightening, lifting and tilting the new free foot in making a turn. The 9:12 minute section and on is particularly relevant and should help a lot. A video mimicking what Diana is doing would be cool.
RRT
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:10 am

See next one below. Can this message be deleted?
Last edited by l2ski on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:17 am

RRT wrote:On eVideo, "Eliminate The Wedge, 3," starting at the 12:00 minute mark, Diana also methodically describes and demonstrates that which Max and Harald describe.


Here I see her switching to the uphill LTE and traversing on it before making the turn.
I have practiced this for traverses but should do it while skiing.

RRT wrote:Also, check out Diana’s “Touch down” exercise found in the eVideo on “Quick, Short-Radius Turns.” In it, she demonstrates a full proof technique to develop a sense of what it is like to get your weight on the little toe uphill edge while lightening, lifting and tilting the new free foot in making a turn. The 9:12 minute section and on is particularly relevant and should help a lot. A video mimicking what Diana is doing would be cool.


I've studied this as well.

The resort is busy this week due to the kids being on break.
I need a quiet weekday morning so I'll wait until the following week to take video of some of these type so drills.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:34 am

Max_501 wrote:IMO you are over analyzing and making this too complicated. Start on page 1 of book 1 and don't move to the next drill until you have the current drill mastered. Try to get video to confirm.

As far as timing goes. Lift/tip/tuck the downhill ski right BEFORE you want to start the new turn.


I know, I should keep it simple.

Here is a video from yesterday; the resort was too busy to accomplish anything.
I'll work on things on a quiet weekday morning. I took this with
the Soloshot 3.

I was trying to release at this speed by simply lifting and tipping the downhill ski
before the turn starts.
It looks like I'm BTE dominant here for almost every turn.
The first turn I deliberately raised the free ski completely and tipped to LTE.
I definitely see and feel that my left foot tipping is weaker.

How about holding CB in addition to CA when transferring to LTE? I think
that makes since the goal is to transfer from uphill edge to uphill edge.

l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 am

Compare your phantom to this video. Look carefully at the feet. What's different?

User avatar
Max_501
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby DougD » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 am

You're right about it being too crowded. It's not safe drillling unfamiliar movements with people almost skiing into you.

Your first turn was a good first try. One thing that will help, and can be practiced even when it's (somewhat) crowded, is one footed balance. Whenever you're gliding along a cat track or flat slope, balance on one ski. No need to lift the free ski as high as you did here, but hold it off the snow for a lengthy glide, then do the same on the other foot. One footed balance is essential for PMTS skiing.
DougD
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:22 am
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Max, are you referring to the first phantom attempt or the rest of the turns?

I see in the rest of the turns they are not true phantom moves because I'm on the BTE
of the new stance ski and already beginning the turn before the lift and tipping of the free foot.

Give me a change to analyse more if you are referring to the first turn.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:07 pm

l2ski wrote:Give me a change to analyse more if you are referring to the first turn.


Look at all the turns except the first. Do you have a lift, tip, tuck movement pattern? Put another way, are you managing the inside ski?
User avatar
Max_501
 
Posts: 3865
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:39 pm

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Max_501 wrote:
l2ski wrote:Give me a change to analyse more if you are referring to the first turn.


Look at all the turns except the first. Do you have a lift, tip, tuck movement pattern? Put another way, are you managing the inside ski?


No, there is definitely no tuck. It's more of a lighten, some tip and no tuck. I'm not bringing the inside ski in and pulling / holding it back.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:58 am

Hello everybody. Here is some footage of my practice:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OEqCsSDLTUa_utMxyovGapDd_Ke6-ncw

Double clicking on the video should automatically play it in the browser.

The free skiing video quality is not so good; there
might be some improvement visible in the turns near the end of the run, but
the feet are not visible.

Luckily it dumped about 2 feet of snow at the two main resorts where I ski,
so I do have some time left to keep on practicing.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby RRT » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:05 pm

If I may, as long as you have good fore/aft in check, i.e., well centered over the ski, it's easier to tip the foot, ankle and free ski when you are low and in an athletic stance. Check out a side view of Diana in the video that Max put up. Somewhere out there, Harald demonstrates the range of tipping while standing up vs tipping while bending. Experts, please add or correct as necessary.
RRT
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 am

RRT wrote:If I may, as long as you have good fore/aft in check, i.e., well centered over the ski, it's easier to tip the foot, ankle and free ski when you are low and in an athletic stance. Check out a side view of Diana in the video that Max put up. Somewhere out there, Harald demonstrates the range of tipping while standing up vs tipping while bending. Experts, please add or correct as necessary.


Thanks for comments. I agree that having the legs flexed helps with tipping; it also makes it easier to balance on 1 foot.

The free skiing video is probably not suitable for MA, but I'll just comment that at the top of the run
I left myself go so that I can pick up some speed. At the bottom of the run is where I started
making rounder turns.

I struggle with the TFR from stationary start. I'm thinking that I'm too heavy when I release.
I should think of pulling my feet up off the ground as I flatten.

I also figured out why I'm not releasing after reading the Instructor's manual and looking
at the picture on page GB-77.
I need to let the flattening
movements of my feet transfer to my knees and femurs
while holding my hips stable and counter-acted. The feet and legs
should move independently under the pelvis and that puts the uphill leg
in a better position under the hips to transfer weight to it.
That's something that I was focusing on in these videos.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:08 am

Here is one more video from the same day; Unfortunately I didn't pick the right location for the
camera. I see that I'm rising after flexing to release which I'm trying not to do.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16FHjlMWC85Rlzb6F0lJ9IHHRUnRvokAy
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby RRT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:50 pm

I hope you're not getting the idea that you are alone with your struggle. In trying to help myself, I like to work on the exercise in video 3 on eliminating the wedge where Diana stands on the uphill little toe edge while traversing and counts, "One thousand one" slowly. So, the old stance foot is released from pressure and held off the ground while traversing and balancing on the uphill little toe edge before the turn is made. Then, with a slight tip and tuck of the free foot, "Shazam," the turn happens and the wedge is gone...well, at least for the moment until it creeps back when free skiing.
RRT
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Re: l2ski motion analysis

Postby l2ski » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 am

RRT wrote:I hope you're not getting the idea that you are alone with your struggle. In trying to help myself, I like to work on the exercise in video 3 on eliminating the wedge where Diana stands on the uphill little toe edge while traversing and counts, "One thousand one" slowly. So, the old stance foot is released from pressure and held off the ground while traversing and balancing on the uphill little toe edge before the turn is made. Then, with a slight tip and tuck of the free foot, "Shazam," the turn happens and the wedge is gone...well, at least for the moment until it creeps back when free skiing.


Absolutely not! I would think that everybody who spends time reading this forum wants to get it.
Without attending a camp, the only hope is to obtain video and ask for help here. A partner to work
with is a bonus. I have been able to consistently get video only for this season and last.
I also ski a few times a season with a forum member (skijim). How much time you get to practice
is obviously another factor; I haven't not been able to ski enough this season.
l2ski
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:31 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest