Stockli Laser AX vs Blossom White Out

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: Stockli Laser AX vs Blossom White Out

Postby John B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:48 am

Update on the update of the journey of buying Blossom Whiteouts. The skis arrived yesterday 3/23, making it one month plus a few. Gennaro of Blossom Canada told me the final delay was due to a weather related backup entering the U.S. The USPS says otherwise, as the skis were detained in customs for almost a week. The good news is that the great ski shoot out between the Stockli Laser AR 183 [AX] and the Blossom Whiteout 182 will take place this weekend in nice spring conditions. I am looking forward to finding out if the Whiteout will replace my trusty ARs in the all mountain category. When speaking to Gennaro, he told me that sales were quite slow until January of this year. Interestingly, he said that he has sold 19 pair since.....coincidence?....I think Gennaro owes the starter and contributors of the thread a token of appreciation. I now have 5 ski days for this leap of faith experiment. John
John B

Postby lakespapa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 pm

jbotti wrote:.

Next time i get Harald out to Montana I will get him on these. My guess is that I don't get them back the rest of the visit. He really liked my Kastle MX 78 and thought it was only slightly stiff but certainly suitable for him as on off piste ski. Harald has skied another Blossom ski that he absolutely hated as I understand its a much stiffer ski than the White Out and evidently the tune was also railed. You would not want a lot more stiffness in a ski made this way.

Pardon the bump, but I believe I own the very skis — the very pair — that HH hated, Blossom Fleres. I’m surprised to hear he thought them stiff, but perhaps I outweigh him (170 lbs.) As for the tune, I can’t say. I had them stone ground in order to change the base bevel to a radial .7-.5-.7, so if they were railed, they are no longer. An absolute gem of a ski, but a little too soft for crazy speed.

I was happy to find this thread, though, because I was thinking of replacing my older FX84s with a pair of White Outs but was hesitating over the AX. No longer hesitant, though, thanks to you. The price difference makes the White Out a no brainer. (Now for the binding choice — and the plate.)
lakespapa

Postby John B » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:23 am

If anybody is interested I have the set of Blossom White Outs that I purchased late last spring available. They are 182s with Head PRD 14s mounted. The Head PRDs can be adjusted with ease to fit virtually any boot, or more importantly you can experiment with the fore/aft position. They have no signs of usage and are in perfect shape. $550.00 plus shipping. They are in all respects superior to the Stockli Laser ARs that they replaced. Call me crazy, but for my size and style I prefer the newest Laser AX. PM me if you are interested. John
John B

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:34 am

lakespapa wrote:

Next time i get Harald out to Montana I will get him on these. My guess is that I don't get them back the rest of the visit. He really liked my Kastle MX 78 and thought it was only slightly stiff but certainly suitable for him as on off piste ski. Harald has skied another Blossom ski that he absolutely hated as I understand its a much stiffer ski than the White Out and evidently the tune was also railed. You would not want a lot more stiffness in a ski made this way.

Pardon the bump, but I believe I own the very skis — the very pair — that HH hated, Blossom Fleres. I’m surprised to hear he thought them stiff, but perhaps I outweigh him (170 lbs.) As for the tune, I can’t say. I had them stone ground in order to change the base bevel to a radial .7-.5-.7, so if they were railed, they are no longer. An absolute gem of a ski, but a little too soft for crazy speed.

I was happy to find this thread, though, because I was thinking of replacing my older FX84s with a pair of White Outs but was hesitating over the AX. No longer hesitant, though, thanks to you. The price difference makes the White Out a no brainer. (Now for the binding choice — and the plate.)

I really like the knee binding I could be wrong though I do think it reduces chances of ACL injury
Darren

Postby kulesal » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm

If anybody is interested I have a pair of Blossom White Outs that I purchased last October for sale. They are in 170cm with Head PRD 14s mounted. The bindings can be adjusted with ease to fit virtually any boot and you can also experiment with the fore/aft position. They practically have no signs of usage and are in great shape. I'm selling these skis only because it turned out that they are longer than I would like. So, I ordered Blossom White Outs in 164cm and now I need to sell the 170cm.
I think $550.00 plus shipping is pretty reasonable price for these great skis.
kulesal

Postby Arkady » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:55 pm

How about comparison of Stockli SC and SL? Skied SL (non-FIS) and loved it in short turns, but was told that SC might be more universal. Will ti compare O'K for short turns?
Arkady

Postby dfski » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:51 pm

kulesal wrote:... I'm selling these skis only because it turned out that they are longer than I would like. So, I ordered Blossom White Outs in 164cm and now I need to sell the 170cm....

Would you share how tall you are and how much you weigh?

I currently ski a 165 Head im 78 that I bought new, and really enjoy it. Since it‘s getting older I’m considering replacing it and the Blossom White Out or Hart Striker sound like a good replacement.

I’m 61 years old, between 5’6” and 5’7” tall and weigh about 155 - 160. Should I stick with the 164. Would a 170 be too much?
Thanks
dfski

Postby lakespapa » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Darren wrote:
lakespapa wrote:

I really like the knee binding I could be wrong though I do think it reduces chances of ACL injury

KneeBinding is an interesting topic (probably for another thread). The company that produces and sells them ousted the engineer (and company founder) who designed them (and who was never satisfied with their safety), and the two have been frequently to court. Anecdotal evidence suggests only that the bindings work as advertised. I'm personally aware of only one ACL injury suffered with the binding in use (not that I know that much); that injury was caused by a mechanism the binding isn't designed to counteract. The problem (if there's a problem) is there's no way to assign supportable DIN numbers to the lateral release. DIN numbers were designed to prevent bone fracture, not ligament damage, and they're the result of a great deal of cadaver research. So far, none of that work has been done on KneeBinding, and TÜV doesn't certify them. The question is whether the bindings are vulnerable to pre-release.

The binding's designer, Rick Howell (a former Geze designer), is marketing his own version, which he says are better than KB: https://howell-ski-bindings.myshopify.com They start at $800, however.
lakespapa

Postby jbotti » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm all for new technology but $888 for the binding that I would use is obscene! And they aren't adjustable. I guess if one skis one pair of skis with one mount point that you know is correct (when you mount) it could make sense. For everyone else, no shot. I am sure they compare their (and Knee Binding) prices to retail prices for standard bindings but very few people I know actually pay retail for bindings when last year's models are always around for 40-60% cheaper.

I have lived this long skiing with this "ACL tear risk" and so far so good. I think I am like many skiers in that I know there is always risk every time I click in. The real key is having no accidents or if I have any make sure they are at speed (where the bindings release).

So there you have it, ski faster and worry less :D :D
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby lakespapa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:44 am

Ha! That's one way to look at it. :D

It's really the kind of fall that's at issue, though, not the speed. My wife blew her ACL at speed. Someone else I know blew his by falling in a lift line. My wife bought KB after the ACL event (seems a common reaction), but the bindings on her current skis are Marker K12 CTis.
lakespapa

Previous

Return to Gear