Getting ready for first day of green/blue camp

Friends get together

Getting ready for first day of green/blue camp

Postby tigernbr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:46 am

I spent 2.5 hours with Diana yesterday getting my boots. I can’t say enough about what a great experience that was. The time just flew by. I learned things about my feet I never knew. Woke up at 5:00 this morning and it is snowing pretty hard. Looks to be about 4 inches. It’s going to be an awesome camp!
tigernbr

Re: Getting ready for first day of green/blue camp

Postby DougD » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:29 am

Congrats! Isn't that the most amazing experience?

Diana did my boots too. I'll never forget her opening line (after, "Hi Doug"). As I walked across the shop she asked, "How did you injure your R knee?"

I nearly fell through the floor in disbelief. I'd strained that knee 37(!) years earlier while cycling. A dozen ski shops and instructors had never been able to assess, help with or even see the problem. Diana spotted it - unprompted - 10 seconds after I walked through the door, still in long pants and street shoes. To say I was flabbergasted would be an understatement... I was apparently dealing with a genius or a magician... possibly both.

When I described the cycling episode she explained the mechanism of the injury and what she could do to mitigate it. The moment she got my R boot properly canted I knew she'd succeeded. In one visit she eliminated the pain I'd skied with for 30+ years. Since then, my R footers have gone from my weaker turn to my stronger (as they should be, since I'm R side dominant).

Diana also demonstrated how my L foot pronates more than my R and that I needed two different footbeds. By that point, if she'd advised me to get two different feet I'd have said, "Start cutting." :wink:

Have a GREAT time at camp!
DougD

Postby ToddW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 am

I hope you had a great first day at camp. Set aside your adult ego and your fear of making mistakes publicly. It's going to feel awkward and downright wrong as you start to ski better.

Diana is an alignment/bootfitting genius (ski coaching genius, phenomenal skier, and brilliant person too). Her boot work will play a big supporting role in your improvements this week. She's setting up my next set of boots in 5 weeks and I can't wait.
ToddW

Postby h.harb » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Diana is obviously a great boot fitter, however everyone who works for us has these skills. Our boot fitters are athletes, we have all been through injury and rehab. We can see from the way people stand, let alone walk, what their issues are with injury, leg length, basic alignment etc.

We have developed the most comprehensive technical "Alignment Manual" in the ski industry for evaluating people, their feet and how to best fit them. This has developed over a period of 25 years, with over 20,000 evaluations. We keep adding and developing more understanding from year to year. Our alignment course is the best in the business. I don't understand why people don't research boot fitters and alignment centers more throughly. Most skiers just go to a big box store and get a boot slammed onto their feet. Within Harb Ski systems, we don't operate our ski shop to sell boots, we operate a ski shop to make better skiers.
h.harb

Postby tigernbr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 am

It felt so great to be back on skis after so many years. I can’t even begin to describe it. First day of camp was great. Lots of nice people in the camp, all the coaches are fantastic. First day was mostly learning how to ski on one ski and then incorporating some counteracting. Looking forward to today. It snowed like crazy again last night.
tigernbr

Postby milesb » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 am

h.harb wrote:Diana is obviously a great boot fitter, however everyone who works for us has these skills. Our boot fitters are athletes, we have all been through injury and rehab. We can see from the way people stand, let alone walk, what their issues are with injury, leg length, basic alignment etc.

We have developed the most comprehensive technical "Alignment Manual" in the ski industry for evaluating people, their feet and how to best fit them. This has developed over a period of 25 years, with over 20,000 evaluations. We keep adding and developing more understanding from year to year. Our alignment course is the best in the business. I don't understand why people don't research boot fitters and alignment centers more throughly. Most skiers just go to a big box store and get a boot slammed onto their feet. Within Harb Ski systems, we don't operate our ski shop to sell boots, we operate a ski shop to make better skiers.

Well to be fair, it requires much more of a time commitment to visit your shop than their local one. Plus the information on the superiority or even the existence of your shop is not widespread among the general skiing public. In conversations with random skiers on the lifts, many have heard of you, but nobody knows about your shop. Maybe you could feature it more prominently in your YouTube videos if you want it to have more exposure.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Return to Social Chatting