MA Request Jeet 2018

MA Request Jeet 2018

Postby Jeet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Hope you're well and having a good season so far? I was hoping I can get some feedback from a run that friend filmed. Looking at the video I see the pole tap is too close to the body and I need to open up the wrist?

Would love to hear your thoughts on how I can improve further. I have put it on youtube in slow motion.

Thanks in advance

Jeet
Jeet

Re: MA Request Jeet 2018

Postby Lester » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:42 am

Hi Jeet, I will try to give you MA with my inexperienced eye and more experienced guys
will correct me if I'm wrong .Your skiing looks pretty nice , but....
1.Your inside hip is not included in CA and CB.
( You are squared to skis at hip level and do some CA with upper body/arms )
2. Your inside arm drops down after pole plant ( I wouldn't call this " strong inside arm")
Strong inside arm will also help with your CA/CB.
Improving CA/CB by including inside hip,
will help with keeping pole tap away from your skis.
Lester

Postby noobSkier » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi Jeet,

This is just my opinion and subject to correction. I like your skiing, but It seems to me like you are pushing the tails to help get the skis around. In a turn that's initiated strictly with tipping movements, flexing begins immediately after the apex of the arc. When the tails are pushed, your flexing can only start much later because you have essentially rushed through the entire arc. With your flexing being this late, almost all rebound from the ski is lost and thus you are forced to push the tails again to start your next turn.

With all that said, making short turns at such low speeds is supremely difficult. I would suggest something easier like a medium radius phantom turn with emphasis on progressive tipping to initiate every single turn.
noobSkier

Postby Jeet » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:09 am

Lesta and noobSkier thanks for taking the time to view the video and commenting. I will take all your comments on board for my next session.

Thanks

Jeet
Jeet

Postby DougD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:11 am

Jeet,

Lester and noobSkier both made good observations about your skiing, with which I agree. But trying to think about this many things while skiing is counterproductive. To ensure progress you need to (1) identify your SMIM and (2) select a drill which focuses on that movement.

SMIM
CA and hand position are among the Essentials, as you know, but if noobSkier is correct that you're finishing turns with tail pushing (and I think he is), then your SMIM is Tipping. HH and other coaches repeatedly state that Tipping must continue AND INCREASE throughout the turn... right up to the moment of release into the next turn. In PMTS, Tipping is a more basic movement than CA or hand position... and that leg extension kills Tipping.

DRILL
Which drill is appropriate to improve this skier's Tipping skills, particularly in the second half of the turn? I suggest an old favorite, the Super Phantom with Touch Tilt (SPwTT).

To do the SPwTT you must keep the free ski lifted off the snow for the ENTIRE turn. Its inside edge should touch the rivet of the stance ski boot. Tip, tip and tip that free ski. When you've tipped it as far as possible... tip it more. Never stop tipping.

Keep tipping until your stance ski begins to hook up and is about to shoot cross the slope. At that instant your lifted and tipping LTE should brush the snow. That's your trigger to relax the stance leg and Transfer balance to the LTE of the uphill ski (without extending that leg, and still TIPPING!). Glide on that tipped LTE for a mental count of 1... 2... 3..., then tip the new free ski to begin the new turn.

To emphasize the second half of the turn you can do SPwTT's garland style, turning uphill, then releasing and repeating across the slope.

VARIATION
Make each complete SPwTT to a complete stop. Do as above but when the free ski LTE brushes the snow don't relax the stance leg. Just keep tipping and turning until you stop, balanced entirely on the stance ski, free ski still lifted and pressed against the stance boot (and Tipping!). This is a good checkpoint to confirm that CA and CB are maxed out and that your outside pole tip has just tapped the snow well behind your binding. Do this EVERY time you come to a stop on skis - all day - every day. As HH has said, the last turn you make is the most important turn you make - because these movements will stick in your muscle memory.

noobSkier wrote:With all that said, making short turns at such low speeds is supremely difficult. I would suggest something easier like a medium radius phantom turn with emphasis on progressive tipping to initiate every single turn.

Disagree. Skiing very slowly challenges balance, but that's the point of doing drills. Jeet is actually skiing too fast.

Momentum enables ineffective movements. Jeet needs to do drills like the SPwTT at MUCH SLOWER speeds until he owns the balance and movements. Once a skier owns correct movements at very slow speeds, it's easy to ramp up speed gradually without disrupting the correct movements. Trying to learn new movements at faster speeds usually doesn't work.
DougD

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:08 am

DougD, just to clarify my statements, I'm not suggesting Jeet should speed up his skiing. I just think it's counter productive to practice short turns in this way if you need to push the tails to get the skis around. I agree with your MA though.
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm

noobSkier wrote:DougD, just to clarify my statements, I'm not suggesting Jeet should speed up his skiing. I just think it's counter productive to practice short turns in this way if you need to push the tails to get the skis around.

Agreed, noobSkier! As HH discussed in his latest blog post, if we're going to ski more like Hirscher, we need to push less and tip (and flex, and CA, and CB) more.

My own 30+ years of pre-PMTS skiing were a textbook example of what not to do :oops:. After being shown at camp just how much I had to unlearn, I stopped all free skiing to focus on SMIM-focused drills. Two years later and my ski day still begins with specific drills on easy greens (mostly short radius turns at slow speeds).

I do this all morning. After lunch I'll do one or two more such runs to confirm that whatever I'm working on has "stuck". If that goes well I reward myself with one or two free skiing runs on tougher terrain at higher speeds. A solid morning of drills usually helps that go well, and I call it a successful day. If I can't repeat a drill run cleanly then I don't free ski at all. Practicing sloppy movements is not helpful (or even fun).
DougD

Postby Jeet » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I managed to get some more video. It seems a bit better to me... What do you guys think?

Jeet

Postby DougD » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:21 am

This is a bit better... and MUCH slower! :lol:

Still need to work on keeping that free ski unweighted until the turn has finished. You tend to place it back down near the apex. That's too early (though at least it's touching down tip first... showing that free foot pullback is being maintained through the turn). Early free ski touchdown tends to kill tipping, which is why your turns are unfinished (skis not completing the arc, no "zing" from the stance ski to help move you into the new turn).

In the Super Phantom w Touch-Tilt, the entire length of the free ski remains off snow until the turn is finished. Think of free ski touchdown as your TRIGGER to start the next turn. The INSTANT the free ski LTE touches snow, flex the stance leg and transfer weight off of it. No hesitation. Since mid-turn is not where you want to transfer your weight, you must consciously work to keep that inside ski off snow until the turn is finished.

More (more! more!) CB, CA and Tipping would improve your one-footed balance, especially in the middle and end of the turn. For this, Angry Mother (which will also improve your pole touch position and help control arm movements). Outside pole tip drags might also reinforce the desired movements.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:30 am

DougD wrote:Still need to work on keeping that free ski unweighted until the turn has finished. You tend to place it back down near the apex. That's too early (though at least it's touching down tip first... showing that free foot pullback is being maintained through the turn).

Only if the skier intends to keep the inside ski off the snow, such as working on the Super Phantom w Touch-Tilt.
Max_501

Postby Jeet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:16 am

Guys,

Let me give you the full story, it just wouldn't be fair if I didn't. Again, I want to thank everyone who chipped in with their thoughts, very much appreciated (Max_501, DougD, noobSkier and Lester)

At camp I got my footbeds made for the stock head raptor liner. The feeback on my skiing was good tipping, good cb and fore aft. I needed to work on a flex to release and then CA. As some of you maybe aware I moved to the Pro Tongue, as this liner is much narrower compared the stock, the arch was hitting against the side wall meaning...

1. Behaving also like a rigid footbed (i guess to some degree)
2. Inverting my feet (throwing the cuffs out and using up my tipping range?)

and hence the skiing was like it was in the first video I posted. I then trimmed the footbed slightly and then took a video which is the latest video i posted. After I had some guidance from Diana it seemed the like footbed was still not sitting perfectly, so today I trimmed further now it looks perfect (i can depress the arch with my finger now). The next video will be on the weekend which I will share with you guys, I will not make any further changes to footbeds (not too long to camp) and then I can start concentrating on movements that need improving.

@DougD - I am going to test how long how i can keep the inside skii off the snow and see if I can keep lifted and tilted throughout the turn. So doing what Max said, intending to keep the inside ski off the snow, such as working on the Super Phantom w Touch-Tilt.

Also big thanks to Diana for giving me the advice.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby DougD » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:23 am

Max_501 wrote:
DougD wrote:Still need to work on keeping that free ski unweighted until the turn has finished. You tend to place it back down near the apex. That's too early (though at least it's touching down tip first... showing that free foot pullback is being maintained through the turn).

Only if the skier intends to keep the inside ski off the snow, such as working on the Super Phantom w Touch-Tilt.

Max_501, thanks for clarifying that an expert won't necessarily keep the free ski lifted throughout every turn. The SPwTT is a drill to help the student learn free foot movements and improve balance. "Lifting is for learning, lightening is for experts". :)

Jeet, this video on the stationary TFR also includes great shots of Diana demonstrating how these turns should be finished. Compare the bottom half of her turns to the bottom half of yours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC1pt7pHXCY
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:31 am

DougD wrote:Jeet, this video on the stationary TFR also includes great shots of Diana demonstrating how these turns should be finished. Compare the bottom half of her turns to the bottom half of yours.

That's a drill. Jeet is skiing so his finish doesn't need to be the same unless that is what he is working on.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 am

Max_501 wrote:
DougD wrote:Jeet, this video on the stationary TFR also includes great shots of Diana demonstrating how these turns should be finished. Compare the bottom half of her turns to the bottom half of yours.

That's a drill. Jeet is skiing so his finish doesn't need to be the same unless that is what he is working on.

I believe that's what he was intending to work on (based on the discussion above).
DougD

Return to Movement Analysis and Video