PHANTOM permanent base glide by DPS ?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

PHANTOM permanent base glide by DPS ?

Postby Darren » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Phantom by DPS anyone try this product ?

A one time application base penetrating formula that forever eliminates the need for waxing skis & snowboards. Sounds to good to be true.

Thanks for replies
Darren

Re: PHANTOM permanent base glide by DPS ?

Postby jbotti » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:40 am

Agree that it sounds to good to be true but it might be something that would last much longer than a hot wax and brush. I will check it out and can report back after using it. This is the first I have heard of it. Maybe someone else has tried it and will respond.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby tigernbr » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Here's a youtube vid on how to apply it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jgFo4qIhEM
tigernbr

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm

I read the reviews. I was less intrigued until I read that you can also apply wax on top of the coating. In Montana we get some wicked cold temps. You either have to have no wax (at least 10 days without waxing on the skis) or super cold light blue or light green wax with extreme cold powder if you want to enjoy the skiing. Even with the right wax you still go slow but with the wrong wax its misery. Its possible that this coating would handle to cold temps but you can't know for sure in advance. Same thing for Spring slush. So knowing that I can add the right wax when I need to makes the product more usable.

Having said all that $99 per pair of skis seems high. I can wax every 3 days for the life of a ski with training wax for maybe $10-15. I think this pricing is aimed at guys that pay $15-20 a pop to have their skis waxed. For them it makes immense sense.

Still I will try one set up and see how I like it on some skis. Maybe they will drop the price after a while.
jbotti

Postby BrettBPotter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

In Mammoth we often get heavy wet snow and gliding has way more to with base structure than the wax. We don't suffer the extreme cold requiring the blue or cosmic blending of floors. Personally I would love to see how this would work in wetter warmer stuff because again without an extremely coarse structure the ski is going to suction to the snow like two piece of wet glass.

As for penetrating the base, unless you have a sintered base which is porous, how could anything penetrate plastic (p tec) bases. Just last week I had a summer grind put on a pair of tt80s and it was amazingly effective in the wet snow. Plus, I enjoy honing my edges and waxing my stuff. With a good roto brush, it only takes a few minutes.

Lol my first post. I don't know yet how to ski well but I am very good at having my bases and edges perfect.
BrettBPotter

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

BrettBPotter wrote:In Mammoth we often get heavy wet snow and gliding has way more to with base structure than the wax.

So true! I have skis that are set up with a course spring structure and I rarely bother to slap a coat of wax on them.
Max_501

Postby Darren » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:47 pm

The main reason I was interested in the product is my ski bases seam to wear down very fast right next to the metal edge. Which results in having to file down base edges to keep up with the wear on ski base right next to the metal edges resulting in shorter life expectancy of ski.
Darren

Postby DougD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:10 am

Darren wrote:The main reason I was interested in the product is my ski bases seam to wear down very fast right next to the metal edge. Which results in having to file down base edges to keep up with the wear on ski base right next to the metal edges resulting in shorter life expectancy of ski.

Interesting. The only skis I've ever had do that turned out to be non-flat (railed) from the factory.
DougD

Postby Darren » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:41 am

Doug I never had the problem with the older straighter skis & before our ski club started making snow. I like to ski slower with a tighter line weigh about 180 ski on 150 cm head isl none RD & fisher RC4 sl race ski. I live where it is often cold Kenora On ( close to Winnipeg which is often called coldest city in the world) with wind chill in -40s today. We do not get a lot of new snow.The man made snow seams to fuse together becoming very hard.

I probably have a few factors out of the ordinary causing extra wear.

To help keep feet warm today I warm my boots with a hair dryer, wrap mylar blanket (space blanket) around liners of ski boots & use thin chemical toe warmers for toes. By doing this I can be out side my guess 2 - 3 times longer
Darren

Postby tigernbr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:57 am

Is there a verdict on this product?
tigernbr

Postby DougD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:54 am

Darren wrote:Doug I never had the problem with the older straighter skis & before our ski club started making snow. I like to ski slower with a tighter line weigh about 180 ski on 150 cm head isl none RD & fisher RC4 sl race ski. I live where it is often cold Kenora On ( close to Winnipeg which is often called coldest city in the world) with wind chill in -40s today. We do not get a lot of new snow.The man made snow seams to fuse together becoming very hard.

Actually, Kenora ON isn't "close" to anywhere! :lol:

Skiing on ice or hardpack shortens ski life, both base and edges, and your ice/hardpack is at the extreme. The opposite extreme is Utah powder... you know, where they tune their skis every 5 years whether they need it or not?

BTW, why such short skis? If you have the skills to ski those models, your weight would typically indicate something closer to 170. A 150 in those models would be far too short even for me at 130lb.

Sorry for the OT...
DougD

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:34 pm

tigernbr wrote:Is there a verdict on this product?

They guys in my shop in Montana have used it on some skis. I forgot to ask last time I was there. I'll be there next week and I will ask and maybe ski on one with the coating.
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:19 am

jbotti wrote:Having said all that $99 per pair of skis seems high. I can wax every 3 days for the life of a ski with training wax for maybe $10-15. I think this pricing is aimed at guys that pay $15-20 a pop to have their skis waxed. For them it makes immense sense.

I agree on the pricing. Plus I rarely wax because I find the base structure makes a bigger difference.
Max_501

Postby Darren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:40 am

Thanks guys for info & thought

I contacted DP & they said the shore hardness of the base increased aprox 10% which is not a lot but helps some. Not sure if it is worth the cost 10% is not much increase in hardness

Though if base slides with less resistance there would most likely be less friction to cause wear.

My major focus for base structure is base structure that would result in the least amount of base wear along the edge of the ski next to the edges. Which my guess would be base structure for cold weather as the base would be smother.

Was watching the Olympics & the announcer said for one of the courses in the practice runs the snow was wearing down the base of the skis next to the edges causing problems for the technicians that prepared the skis.

Using the .5 degree beast bevel I had to make the base of the ski .5 degree bevel for about .75 inches away from the edge of the ski so base & edge would be flush. Before I did this if I ran my finger nail across the base my finger nail would catch the edge was the edge was not flush with the base.

It is about a day of travel to get a stone grind plus cost to have had a stone grind to have made edges & bases same height which might have produced best results for ski performance ? Though it would not take long to have the same problem again after skiing 11 days over Christmas the skis were no fun to ski on anymore unless in soft snow.
Darren

Next

Return to Gear