MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:17 pm

DougD wrote:Firmly enough so the tips aren't knocked backwards while brushing the snow. This is just a drill to train correct hand/wrist position. No need to drag the tips heavily if that could exacerbate injuries.

Ok, I think I was skiing too aggressively for this exercise because it was already quite hard on my wrists. Anything apart from the poles you would care to comment on? This is what I have so far: CB is worse on left-leg turn and flexing is still a bit inconsistent. It seems to me like my tipping is on point though.
noobSkier

Postby mardale » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 pm

Can you ski those turns but at two cat track widths, so you spend some time balancing on the outside ski? In the last run, you seem to me to be reacting to pressure, throwing the skis side to side between edge sets. Because of that, it's unclear to me what exactly puts the skis on edge.
mardale

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks for your input. I was lucky enough to have this video analyzed by a very high level PMTS coach, and the conclusion was that there is more CA than tipping on my left side (skiers left). The prescription was find the right balance between CA and tipping on the left side, and to experiment a little bit with my boot setup. My next videos will be focusing on the BPST.
noobSkier

Postby willwingpang » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:32 pm

Hey Noobskier

Last video you posted up, the skiing was awesome. I wonder how your skiing will if you hold CA during in the release like Marcel Hirscher does?
willwingpang

Postby noobSkier » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:05 pm

willwingpang wrote:Hey Noobskier

Last video you posted up, the skiing was awesome. I wonder how your skiing will if you hold CA during in the release like Marcel Hirscher does?

Thanks for the compliment, holding CA is something I'm working on. Whats tricky about it is that the timing needs to be perfect, because you sort of have to flex just the right amount so that the energy from the ski doesn't disturb the upper body. I haven't yet developed enough finesse do to this consistently.
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Hi again!

Like I mentioned in a previous post, my next videos will be focusing on the BPST. This video is the first in that series. The video turned out short because the cameraman lost his balance, and its also the only take because it started raining shortly after; apologies in advance. I know my licence to pole-plant has be revoked, but I thought I'd add in a pole-tap to see if the restriction should still be in effect!

All MA/comments/suggestions welcome!

https://youtu.be/Vmb7qjFqgVA
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:02 pm

noobSkier wrote:The video turned out short because the cameraman lost his balance, and its also the only take because it started raining shortly after; apologies in advance.

I don't like to guess for an MA and its difficult to see the actual movements in this footage. As a reminder, for MA video...

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x-12x zoom which will help with image stability. Disable the digital zoom in the camera menu. If your camera has an optical zoom that exceeds 10-12x try to find a function that locks the zoom at 10x (or as close as you can get).
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am

Max_501, welcome back to my thread, its great to have you! I had hoped there was enough turns in there for some general-purpose MA, but if you feel like the video is unusable I will film something more suitable (possibly next week).
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am

Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

Max_501 wrote:Have you done much work on pelvis movement?

I'm always trying to improve it. Im not a naturally flexible guy, and I have difficulty with internal femoral rotation; I stretch constantly. I find it easier when I have some momentum, like when I'm practicing edge-locked carving. I think there has been some improvement if you compare this video https://youtu.be/VOyu1-lJbdM to this video https://youtu.be/ZOMs5CLcPoA. In any case, I find it a lot more challenging when I'm practicing turns with very little momentum, like the BPST.
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 am

noobSkier wrote:In any case, I find it a lot more challenging when I'm practicing turns with very little momentum, like the BPST.

There is a lot of momentum in a properly executed BPST. That said, I don't think its momentum that is making it seem easier. My hunch is that its the edge locked ski which creates a strong platform you are able to brace against.
Max_501

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

Max_501 wrote:My hunch is that its the edge locked ski which creates a strong platform you are able to brace against.

You just put my feelings into words...that's exactly it. If I can extrapolate on that a little bit, I now need to work on creating correct pelvic movements with muscular efforts rather than relying on the platform of a locked ski as a crutch?
noobSkier

Postby Max_501 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

noobSkier wrote:If I can extrapolate on that a little bit, I now need to work on creating correct pelvic movements with muscular efforts rather than relying on the platform of a locked ski as a crutch?

Yes sir. And much of that can be done via dryland training. This device helped me develop CA.

Max_501

Postby DougD » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:05 am

Extraordinarily insightful MA & guidance, Max_501. Thanks for sharing your hard earned expertise.
DougD

Postby tigernbr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:44 am

Max, what exercises do you do with your Infinity 8?
tigernbr

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video