Re: MA for young Tommi

Postby Ancient » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:58 am

Here are some turns by Tommi and Andre during last summer:

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby DougD » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 am

After 5 years, its great to see one of your boys (orange jacket) finally attempting a PMTS drill (Phantom Move attempts at 1:26...).

The lifting & tipping begin too late, his weight is back on his heels and he lacks the balance to maintain a one-footed stance through the whole turn. In every turn he is still pushing & extending. Still... this is a beginning.

The mission now is to get the boys to do the drills to MASTERY... at much slower speed. This will require following the instructions in ES1 and then ES2. Two turns at speed won't build the balance and movements they need to advance.

Still, these are the FIRST ever PMTS-inspired movements you've posted... so huzza! Is this Heluva's influence at work?
DougD

Postby Ancient » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:48 pm

DougD wrote: Is this Heluva's influence at work?

Surely but also my inputs to my kids.

Thanks DougD!
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:12 am

Opening Training Day of the season for Tommi:

Ancient

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 am

Here is Tommi on the second day of slalom training of the season. The previous day he practiced several PMTS drills with a Slovenian Coach, of which, unfortunately, I haven't got the video; sorry. I hope that the results are visible:

Cheers.

Ancient
Last edited by Ancient on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient

Postby Ancient » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:14 am

This is Andre (14 years old), who practised the same Tommi's PMTS drills with a Slovenian coach a few days ago. Can You see the results?

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:04 am

Hi Ancient,

I'm not a PMTS coach, just an enthusiast, so take this as it should be taken! I really like Tommi's skiing, particularly his narrow stance and ability to fully weigh the outside ski. It seems to me like he's developing early edge angles by tipping and flexing to release. In my opinion, he weighs the outside ski so well that he sometimes has difficulty controlling the rebound, which is usually remedied by holding the counter longer + aggressive flexing.

As far as Andre, I think he's steering the skis to some extent, so that prevents him from getting all of his weight on the outside ski. Because of that, there isn't enough rebound from the ski to help him flex and tip into the next turn, so he must continue steering to clear the next gate. Phantom move for Andre.

Again, just my opinion, and subject to correction!
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi again Ancient one! :lol:

First, I agree with Noobskier. Tommi is showing more PMTS inspired movements than Andre.

Many of Tommi's turns to the R (L foot = stance foot) show a nice O-frame at the top of the turn. This indicates he's initiating with strong, early tipping of the free (R) foot. His turns in the other direction do not show this. Either he needs to concentrate more on releasing/tipping his L foot early in turns to the L, or there may be an alignment issue. I lack the MA skills to say more.

Andre is not consistently starting each turn by releasing and tipping. There's also insufficient CA or CB for these kinds of turns. Since releasing and tipping are more basic movements than CA or CB, I'd suggest his SMIM is tipping. For a specific drill, have him practice the Phantom Move with Touch-Tilt, including a gliding phase on the LTE of the new stance ski before the edge change (very important). This cannot be practiced in gates.
DougD

Postby Ancient » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:49 pm

DougD wrote:Hi again Ancient one! :lol:

First, I agree with Noobskier. Tommi is showing more PMTS inspired movements than Andre.

Many of Tommi's turns to the R (L foot = stance foot) show a nice O-frame at the top of the turn. This indicates he's initiating with strong, early tipping of the free (R) foot. His turns in the other direction do not show this. Either he needs to concentrate more on releasing/tipping his L foot early in turns to the L, or there may be an alignment issue. I lack the MA skills to say more.

Andre is not consistently starting each turn by releasing and tipping. There's also insufficient CA or CB for these kinds of turns. Since releasing and tipping are more basic movements than CA or CB, I'd suggest his SMIM is tipping. For a specific drill, have him practice the Phantom Move with Touch-Tilt, including a gliding phase on the LTE of the new stance ski before the edge change (very important). This cannot be practiced in gates.

DougD and Noobskier,

First of all thanks for sharing the opinion that some PMTS inspired movements start to appear in Tommi's skiing. Surely more work needs to be addressed but I'm confident that more improvement will come following also your advise and working hard with their coaches.

Surely I'll post new videos as I feel that some improvement has been reached in order to get your valuable opinions.

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby mardale » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:16 pm

I think I can see Andre changing towards PMTS and it's a good change... I see him trying to tip but he still has a push to release the skis - I think he needs to keep working on flexing to release (at the right time) and tipping. As he changes these, his race training may suffer in the short term, though. It is good if he's not getting conflicting messages from his coaches!
mardale

Postby Ancient » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm

I can see some improvement in closing the ankles angle by Tommi:

Your comments are always appreciated.

Cheers.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby DougD » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 pm

What direction are Tommi's ski tails moving in the early portion of the turns in this video? Why is this happening?
DougD

Postby Ancient » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:05 am

DougD wrote:What direction are Tommi's ski tails moving in the early portion of the turns in this video? Why is this happening?

Hi DougD,

do you mean he's drifting too much?

Thanks for your response.

Ancient
Ancient

Postby DougD » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:40 am

He's not drifting. Look again... at the top of his turns. Do his ski tails always follow his ski tips?
DougD

Postby Ancient » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:28 am

DougD wrote:He's not drifting. Look again... at the top of his turns. Do his ski tails always follow his ski tips?

Probably he pushes out the tails, correct?
Ancient

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video