TTS - A Zero Theory

Friends get together

Re: TTS - A Zero Theory

Postby DougD » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:45 am

bmoose21 wrote:Each time I talk to someone with the credentials I've been disappointed by their skiing -- was hoping these folks would really be able to lay it down but to be honest the most impressive thing I've seen so far is a perfectly smooth, slow-motion wedge christie. I guess I should give some credit though where it is due, my wedge has improved considerably...

Exactly. This is why, when my partner decided to take up skiing again after a disastrous first experience with a PSIA instructor, I kept him as far from them as possible. Learning dead-end, joint-sressing skills was not going to help him ski with me, or enjoy skiing at all.

I taught him PMTS (as best I could) for a season until he could attend Green/Blue camp for real coaching. Now he's got a solid foundation AND specific movements to work on. He makes real improvements and enjoys the progress.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:23 pm

I love the credentials part. I posted in another thread, I've thrown away all the stuff I earned from PSIA. Why, because it has no meaning or a false meaning, inflated people in high positions, without the capabilities. I don't want to be associated with those type of credentials, they are worthless.
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Skiing has got to be the only sport in the world where status is more valuable than skill. Harald, I think you should start a new YouTube series. Take a bunch of videos of instructors skiing terribly (I can provide plenty of footage), and post it on youtube with hilariously scathing commentary. Watch it goes viral.
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:45 am

Everyone in PSIA and on the demo Team watches and reads everything I write, post, you can be assured they know my distain for their abilities and performances. Yet do they strive to better, themselves, no! It's a lost culture.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:56 am

They have such big egos with all the pins they have that they believe they ski at a high level. Lorie and I tried to get a demo team member from my home mountain ski one run with us and he would not do it. I sure that he believed that we were so far below him in skills that he would be wasting his time with us. All my friends in the PSIA value your skiing based on the Level pin you have. I ski with many Level III skiers that can even make turns as good as people I skied with in our camps.
skijim13

Postby DougD » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:09 pm

skijim13 wrote:Lorie and I tried to get a demo team member from my home mountain ski one run with us and he would not do it. I sure that he believed that we were so far below him in skills that he would be wasting his time with us.

Pathetic. The WC skiers I've met (Harald and others) are happy to ski with anybody. Do demo teamers believe pins make them better skiers than that?

Reminds me of a story about U.S. Grant. In the middle of the war, after weeks of tough campaigning in brutal field conditions, the general in charge of all US troops had a layover between trains. Badly overdue for a haircut and shave, he headed for the town barber shop.

When Grant walked in the barber was serving a young lieutenant - who goggled at this unexpected presence and leapt out of the chair, offering his place to the general-in-chief.

"No, no", said Grant. "I've no more right to to a shave than you or any other man. Finish your business, I can wait."

Grant's modesty stood in commendable contrast to the pretensions of less skilled officers who flaunted their badges of rank - like lesser skiers flaunt their pins?
DougD

Postby CO_Steve » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:44 pm

I have a new theory. PMTS style skiing takes a lot more space on the run than a bunch of straight liners pushing their tails around.
Ski schools are told by management not to teach anyone to turn, it takes up space and reflects to the bottom line.
Fewer turns, more skiers, more money.
CO_Steve

Postby ToddW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:45 pm

CO_Steve wrote:I have a new theory. PMTS style skiing takes a lot more space on the run than a bunch of straight liners pushing their tails around.
Ski schools are told by management not to teach anyone to turn, it takes up space and reflects to the bottom line.
Fewer turns, more skiers, more money.

That's a nice sounding theory. But our own Geoff Darst proved it wrong in 2011 in this post
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3525&p=35954&hilit=drainpipe#p35954

It's a long post. Search for the word drainpipe or the phrase "go against his better judgement".

Apparently in tech camp Harald teaches short turns suitable for skiing down a drainpipe "to complete the line that started on the roof of your condominium complex."

geoffda wrote:However, it turns out that in the PMTS universe, turns of a radius that would be made in a typical FIS slalom course are MEDIUM radius. Short turns are the radius that you use when you have to ski down a drainpipe. Because how else are you going to complete the line that started on the roof of your condominium complex? We all know how Harald feels about big air. So Harald demonstrated what he meant by short turns and in case anyone is wondering, the man is BACK

Geoff's had 6 years and counting to practice his drainpipe turns, so I've decided to ask him for a public demo this spring at Hintertux :mrgreen:
ToddW

Postby jbotti » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Nice post Todd. To respond to some previous ones: In contrast I have skied with demo team member Eric Lipton a number of times. He is a super nice guy and was happy to ski with me, and I am pretty sure he is that way with everyone. I also know a level 3 examiner well and he is about the nicest most unpretentious guy you will ever meet.

I am not saying there aren't a lot of people with pins that are full of themselves (as I have met my fair share) but to be fair not all of them are like that.

Some secretly admire PMTS and what HH has laid out even if they can't or won't admit it publicly.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:10 pm

There are a lot of nice guys, however they teach not so nice. And they believe in what's not so nice, and even if they might like what I invented, they just don't get it. And I know they sure can't teach!
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:14 pm

h.harb wrote:There are a lot of nice guys, however they teach not so nice. And they believe in what's not so nice, and even if they might like what I invented, they just don't get it. And I know they sure can't teach!

100%. Theres a certain arrogance in trying to teach something that you yourself are terrible at...doesn't sit well with me.
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:18 am

ToddW wrote:[quote="geoffda]
Short turns are the radius that you use when you have to ski down a drainpipe. [/quote]

Or the "Misery Whip" trail at Sugarloaf. It's an old T-bar line, no wider than it needed to be and surrounded by impenetrable trees & scrub. The only way out is down. An entire run of non-stop turns within a ski length.
DougD

Postby Robert0325 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 am

or one long snow plough for me I fear :(
Robert0325

Postby DougD » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:24 am

Robert0325 wrote:or one long snow plough for me I fear :(

:lol: I've never seen anyone attempt that on MIsery Whip (or in a drainpipe!). I hope I never do. The trail is too steep and bumped up for a snowplow... err, snow plough!... to be effective.
DougD

Postby Marc » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:22 am

Unskilled and unaware of it, the Dunning–Kruger effect

See Fig 3 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3931539/figure/fig03/

from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23781887

Edit:
blackthorn wrote:The Dunning-Kruger Effect is real.
Marc

PreviousNext

Return to Social Chatting