what SS iSpeed length for me?

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Re: what SS iSpeed length for me?

Postby LiquidFeet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 am

Max, it's out in the car. Why are you so interested in the FXs?

I've been on them, and an earlier softer version, for about 4 years. The soft ones were too soft. These are stiffer (longitudinally) than the earlier versions were, and on halfway decent snow act very nice. On bumps they are good. On ice, well. Not so good, but I can get them up on edge and make clean turns. I'd rather not have to wait; 84 is slow to get up on edge (with me on them, that is).

I'm interested in moving back to a frontside carver, and the experience I am having on the race skis is telling me I really want a narrower waisted ski that can act more like the Redsters do, but will not give me headaches in the bumps. That's all. I figured this board would have the knowledge I'm looking for. You guys rock at carving, and you've got very precise knowledge about the skis you view as perfect for PMTS turns. I value that knowledge.
LiquidFeet

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

LiquidFeet wrote:Max, it's out in the car. Why are you so interested in the FXs?

The length of your current skis, and how you perform on those skis, provides information that can be useful for selecting the size of your next pair.
Max_501

Postby LiquidFeet » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:01 am

I don't have video to post. So you'll have to take my word for how I ski, and I doubt you'll feel comfortable doing that.
You're welcome to guess how I ski, if you like. I took a camp a few years ago, Super Blue, and was in Harald's group but I doubt he remembers me.

You were right, the FXs are 168s. Before that, I was on Salomon Tornados, the red ones, and they were definitely 170s. That was a while back.

For short turns I have the FIS Atomic Redsters, slaloms, at 155. Love them, but can't see using them daily here in the east.

And a pair of MX70s at 152. They feel very, very short; I prefer the Redsters.

Those Redsters are setting my priorities right now. Skiing on them the other day on ice was a revelation.
LiquidFeet

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:01 pm

163cm as has been suggested... Side cut and stiffness combo compared with the 84 will feel like a much more substantial ski underfoot, and the added length will give more stability with a slightly more use-all-day radius compared with the 155 SL.

Guys like Max_501 are skiing the 170 in this ski and... don't be offended when I say this... he is a vastly more proficient skier than you are.

FWIW, my wife is 5'7" 145 lbs and I would put her on a 163 in this ski as well. Right now her favorite ski is a 168 Super Joy.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby LiquidFeet » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:58 am

That's exactly what I was looking for.
Of course Max is better and more aggressive than me.
Thanks. Done!
LiquidFeet

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:48 pm

I have a question about the iSpeed. Is the 177 length suitable for moguls and trees? Or would the 170 be better for that?
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:22 pm

noobSkier wrote:I have a question about the iSpeed. Is the 177 length suitable for moguls and trees? Or would the 170 be better for that?

Jbotti and Max have noted that...

1. SL(-ish) skis are better skied shorter than longer.

2. Ski length is as much about ability as height or weight. Note that...
- Harald and Max don't ski this in a 177
- Few WC SL racers ski on such long skis. I believe Hirscher skis 165 in SL.

My takeaway... unless one is a better and bigger skier than Harald or Hirscher, the choice for most adult males for this ski is between 163 and 170. The 177 would only suit a strong expert skier who's also tall and/or heavy.

FWIW, Diana debated 163 vs 170 for me. My height (5' 10") argued for 170 but my weight (just 130lb) pushed her to recommend 163. I wouldn't want any longer. 177 would be too much ski, especially in bumps/trees.
DougD

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I skied all of last season on my 177 iSpeeds. After educating myself a little bit, I bought a pair of 170 KERS supershapes; I found that I MUCH prefer the shorter ski. With my newly acquired flexing skills, it's like a whole new world of skiing has opened up to me, so I'm wondering if it would be ok (or not detrimental) to used the 177's as my beaters. Im 6'1", 170lbs.
noobSkier

Postby jbotti » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:09 pm

I ski many skis on the 177-185 length. There is nothing wrong with skis in this length, just don't expect them to ski like slalom carvers. And has been said ad nauseum on this site the preferred tool for all PMTS skiers for learning, practicing and improving is a slalom carver with a tight TR. So the SS i.Speed in the 177 length has a wider TR than we are looking for and its really no longer a slalom carver in that length (and from memory its got a 15+ TR). But in today's universe of skis its still a very responsive ski with a sub 70mm waist.

To answer your question Noobskier, I personally don't think you are going to hurt your skiing going out on the 177 from time to time as long as you ski it the same way you ski the 170 SS Kers. The carved arcs will not be as tight but one can ski this ski quite well with correct PMTS movements. Its will probably just take you more focus. As long as you bring that focus you will be alright.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby noobSkier » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:52 am

Right on, thanks jbotti.
noobSkier

Postby l2ski » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:11 am

jbotti wrote:I ski many skis on the 177-185 length. There is nothing wrong with skis in this length, just don't expect them to ski like slalom carvers. And has been said ad nauseum on this site the preferred tool for all PMTS skiers for learning, practicing and improving is a slalom carver with a tight TR. So the SS i.Speed in the 177 length has a wider TR than we are looking for and its really no longer a slalom carver in that length (and from memory its got a 15+ TR). But in today's universe of skis its still a very responsive ski with a sub 70mm waist.

To answer your question Noobskier, I personally don't think you are going to hurt your skiing going out on the 177 from time to time as long as you ski it the same way you ski the 170 SS Kers. The carved arcs will not be as tight but one can ski this ski quite well with correct PMTS movements. Its will probably just take you more focus. As long as you bring that focus you will be alright.

I wish I had done my research when I first began learning PMTS.
I have been on Super Shape I.Speed @ 177 cm (2014-2015 model) since I started studying PMTS and I definitely agree that this length
makes it harder to learn.
It's especially harder to do the drills where lifting the ski entirely is required. I'm 5'11 @ 180 lbs. I'll probably get something @ 170cm next year.
l2ski

Postby noobSkier » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Just a quick follow up. After skiing half a day on my 177 i.speeds, I can say this with certainty: If you are trying to learn PMTS on a longer ski, you are crippling your progress. This may be subjective, but It felt like the ski was reacting much slower, which increased the "surface area" for mistakes. Jbotti said it best, it takes more focus. I can't believe I skied the 177 every day last season...probably explains my pitiful progress that year.
noobSkier

Previous

Return to Gear