MA request for noobSkier

Re: MA request for noobSkier

Postby blackthorn » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 am

in an earlier post Max 501 said. "Your inside foot management is good but your feet are too locked together. HH suggests the Power Release and Javelin drills to help with that."
While there are some problems with the turns shown in your video, I see a need also to develop balance -in addition to what you are doing now.
I am not an expert, nor even a PMTS coach, but this is my 2P.
blackthorn

Postby l2ski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:19 am

While there are some problems with the turns shown in your video, I see a need also to develop balance -in addition to what you are doing now.

I'm also new and learning as you are, but I agree with this. I think you're not counter-balanced enough based on your inside hip, arm and shoulder
positions relative to the stance side.

I would re-read geoffda's post carefully again (I'm sure you have many times);
if you don't regain fore-aft balance in transition by pulling back during the release, then
it becomes harder to transfer balance and develop early counter-balance during the transition as well; it's logical that imbalance in any direction
will impact the other movements.

I believe that pullback during the release and working on early transfer and counter-balance will also help with outside leg extension
as the turn develops.
l2ski

Postby noobSkier » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks for the comments guys. I believe I'm capable of better CA/CB than I'm showing that video...but I agree with your analysis. Outside leg extension and feet locked together are two weaknesses of mine that prevent me from releasing correctly. I just need to know if theres any improvement with regards to the release...even if its just in a few of these turns. I know these turns are in no way perfect, but my only measuring stick is myself. When Max_501 commented on my inside foot management and feet locked together, it was for my very first videos, which in my opinion look significantly different from my current skiing. For context, here is what I was doing last season:

noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:22 am

The steps to getting bigger angles more control on steeps:
1. A rounder turn, more curve in the turn, more finish across the falline.
2. This requires more tipping and inside leg flexing.
3. This will require more leg flexing at the release.
4. Notice in your short turns the upper body leans in the same direction as the ski angles, this should be reversed, for CB.

So there are some movements to work on. All are in the Essentials of skiing. Notice the word "more" is in almost every sentence in the list???

A good exercise "also" would be the power release, ("Essentials of Skiing") as your feet are too much glued together. I as many do, ski with my feet close however they are not glued together, that's different.
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks coach...I will put in the work!
noobSkier

Postby NothingClever » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Did you have to do anything with your alignment? Noticed you one-ski videos from a while ago, and curious if you had to do anything.
NothingClever

Postby noobSkier » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:18 pm

A couple clips from today...still trying to develop a release. I was really focusing on the power-release drill for the last few weeks. Conditions here were very challenging for me; we got 15cm of HEAVY snow...very different than what I'm used to! Please MA me :D

https://youtu.be/5piBMY5q6NQ
noobSkier

Postby h.harb » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 am

Notice your poles go back on the inside of your turn, the inside ski side, LTE side? That pole tip should be moving forward, to create CA. Stop pole planting and keep both poles on the snow. Work on the strong arm as in Book 1. No one seems to read that chapter. Better CB than the previous videos.
h.harb

Postby noobSkier » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks Harald! I will re-read that section in book 1...and follow your prescription. I've been on a steady diet of power-releases and pole drag. What I found interesting was that my edge-hold improves when I'm pole-dragging but degrades when I start to pole plant...now I know why! Thanks again coach.

NothingClever wrote:Did you have to do anything with your alignment? Noticed you one-ski videos from a while ago, and curious if you had to do anything.

Just played around with some heel lifts and spoilers. Skiing with a 5mm heel lift currently.
noobSkier

Postby rossymcg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:38 pm

Just played around with some heel lifts and spoilers. Skiing with a 5mm heel lift currently.[/quote]

hello noobskier.
why the heel lift? I'm struggling with dorsiflexion due to an ankle injury(anterior impingment) and have been recommended a heel lift. to help stop my knees collapsing in and feet splaying out to get good ROM
rossymcg

Postby noobSkier » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:37 pm

rossymcg wrote:hello noobskier.
why the heel lift? I'm struggling with dorsiflexion due to an ankle injury(anterior impingment) and have been recommended a heel lift. to help stop my knees collapsing in and feet splaying out to get good ROM

Definitely get the alignment manual if you haven't already. Very enjoyable read if you like technical manuals.
https://harbskisystems.com/collections/skier-alignment/products/alignment-technician-course-manual
noobSkier

Postby noobSkier » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi all! I know it hasn't been long since my last video, but I just want to make sure that I'm practicing the correct things. I stopped pole-planting completely and now I'm working on the strong inside arm. Please MA me :D

https://youtu.be/ZOMs5CLcPoA
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:01 pm

Your pole tips are still dropping back.

As Harald advised, hold the poles with the tips brushing the snow throughout the turn. Stop them from dropping back AT ALL by active and continuous engagement of the wrist muscles... you must constantly push the tips forward, resisting the pressure of the snow.

Once you've dialed this into muscle memory - it may take months - you can start planting the poles without having them pulled backward (which tends to unwind CA, as Harald noted).
DougD

Postby noobSkier » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks DougD,

How firmly must one hold the poles? I have weak wrists from injuries and I tend to hold the poles pretty loosely. Also, Merry Christmas!
noobSkier

Postby DougD » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:48 pm

noobSkier wrote:Thanks DougD,

How firmly must one hold the poles?

Just firmly enough so the tips aren't knocked backwards while brushing the snow.

This is just a drill to train correct hand/wrist position. No need to drag the tips heavily if that could exacerbate injuries. You could try just holding the poles vertical, tips just above the snow, but eventually you'll have to be able to hold them from sliding back after the pole touch.

At least the NSPP avoids a heavy pole plant, which could hurt your wrists further.

Also, Merry Christmas!

... to all!
DougD

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video