Ski instructors teaching a hacked phantom move

Friends get together

Ski instructors teaching a hacked phantom move

Postby skijim13 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:43 pm

One of my friends who is also an instructor showed me what he learned in clinic. The move was very similar to the phantom move. However it was done wrong, to high of a tail lift, no tipping and started with the uphill ski flat. While at Killington last week the PSIA was running the Pro Jam we saw an examiner teaching his students the same move again doing it wrong. The sad thing was his students could no even keep their balance when lifting the tail.
skijim13

Re: Ski instructors teaching a hacked phantom move

Postby DougD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:02 am

skijim13 wrote:One of my friends who is also an instructor showed me what he learned in clinic. The move was very similar to the phantom move. However it was done wrong, to high of a tail lift, no tipping and started with the uphill ski flat.

That's what I saw an Okemo instructor doing a few weeks ago... a perfect shortcut to a false Phantom. At least they're being consistent. :roll:

While at Killington last week the PSIA was running the Pro Jam we saw an examiner teaching his students the same move again doing it wrong. The sad thing was his students could no even keep their balance when lifting the tail.

It's unlikely that anyone knowledgeable has checked their alignments, which are presumably all over the place.

As for maintaining balance while lifting the tail, starting with Expert Skier 1, Page 1 would help. :mrgreen:
DougD

Re: Ski instructors teaching a hacked phantom move

Postby h.harb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:08 am

It's not about lifting the tail, it's about lifting the whole ski level to the snow or the ski tip slightly higher. This engages the core, lifting just the tail of the ski, doesn't engage the core.
h.harb

Return to Social Chatting