PSIA teaching something similar to the phantom move

Tell about your PMTS camp experience. Find out how to sign up for a camp.

PSIA teaching something similar to the phantom move

Postby skijim13 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:03 am

We are here in Killington during the Pro JAM, noticed an examiner teaching a form of the move but missed many key points that makes it not effective.
skijim13

Re: PSIA teaching something similar to the phantom move

Postby DougD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am

Just as I saw and recently posted about from an Okemo instructor.

Some PSIA instructors are getting some PMTS ideas from somewhere. But without the whole package, fully successful outcomes are doubtful.

Several years before my first camp I had a (non-PMTS) instructor teaching me to tip the new free ski toward its LTE to start the turn. That was helpful, even revelatory. When I added foot pullback (remembered from Expert Skier 1) my bump skiing improved dramatically. But it wasn't the whole package and it didn't make me an expert skier.

It took a camp to demonstrate just how little my body actually understands about expert skiing movements. A TTS instructor would need that same experience of discomfort and relearning at least as much as I did, possibly more, since s/he has been indoctrinated with so many inefficient movements.
DougD

Postby Vailsteve » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:25 pm

Aaahh Doug...how right you are..the discomfort and relearning....3 years now, beginning the 4th -- and still painfully aware how far I have to go...

But I'm still trying <grin>!!

VailSteve.
Vailsteve

Postby DougD » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:39 am

Vailsteve wrote:..the discomfort and relearning....3 years now, beginning the 4th -- and still painfully aware how far I have to go...

But I'm still trying <grin>!!

Yep. After 35 years of skiing, 1 week at camp showed me just how limited my skiing really is... I felt and looked like a total dork! :oops:

18 months later... having learned to embrace discomfort and relearning... I finally nailed snail-speed TFRs. Then Summer happened... :(

My first (and so far only) day back on skis this season was truly painful... I have so much work to do just to get back to where I left off... I feel like Alice chasing the Red Queen! :cry:

Part of the problem was early season (NE) conditions and limited terrain that was too steep/narrow/crowded for safe, slow speed drills. But... our favorite nearby hill just opened its (perfect) practice slope. Can't wait to get out there and do some serious work! :D
DougD

Return to PMTS Camps, Find a PMTS Instructor and Related Links