MA for Robert

MA for Robert

Postby Robert0325 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:01 am

Hi all
I managed to get my son to film me this year so thought it would be worth posting for some MA
In hind sight I think i should of chosen a slightly steeper run to force me to make tighter turns giving more opportunities for critical MA.
It's hero snow conditions so I have no excuses for poor technique
A couple of things I think I've spotted are
1. Slightly in the back seat
2. not flexing properly to release and/or a slight up movement

Robert0325

Re: MA for Robert

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 am

I'd suggest spending time mastering the Super Phantom.
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Max, thanks for the quick response
I thought I already had the Super phantom mastered, oh well never mind.
Should I post video of me specifically concentrating on the Super phantom, rather than just free skiing?
Robert0325

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 am

Robert0325 wrote:Should I post video of me specifically concentrating on the Super phantom, rather than just free skiing?

Yes.
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 pm

ok, will try and do that although might need to wait till next season now.
Can you tell me what you saw in my skiing that has led you to the conclusion that i need to concentrate on the super phantom?
Robert0325

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Do you see a "Release, Transfer, and Engage" movement pattern in your skiing?
Max_501

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Max_501 wrote:I'd suggest spending time mastering the Super Phantom.

Max,

If you have a moment, could you elaborate on why you recommended that he master the super phantom vs. just one component like tipping or free foot pullback?

I'm trying to figure out why some people's SMIM's are complex drills & others are asked to focus on one movement.

Thanks!
Obrules15

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:37 pm

Obrules15 wrote:If you have a moment, could you elaborate on why you recommended that he master the super phantom vs. just one component like tipping or free foot pullback?

I hinted at the answer to that question earlier.

Max_501 wrote:Do you see a "Release, Transfer, and Engage" movement pattern in your skiing?

What does Book 1 teach?
Max_501

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Obrules15 wrote:If you have a moment, could you elaborate on why you recommended that he master the super phantom vs. just one component like tipping or free foot pullback?

I hinted at the answer to that question earlier.

Max_501 wrote:Do you see a "Release, Transfer, and Engage" movement pattern in your skiing?

What does Book 1 teach?

I understand the big picture (sort of, at the level I'm capable & w/ limitations) and re-read the book last week. I'm more trying to understand the decision tree on assigning an SMIM.

Looking at old posts I swear there are people who also don't have a r/t/e who are given just tipping (which is obviously part of the super phantom). But I just don't understand who might be given the SP from the appearance of video. I just am not good enough at seeing the minute details to appreciate the distinctions you see.
Obrules15

Postby milesb » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:25 am

I'll take a stab at this. There is some tipping going on, in the latter part of the turn. Not much, but it's there. The transition is the problem, the new stance ski is on the big toe edge before the old stance ski releases. In addition, the skier extends off the new stance ski to get into the turn. The super phantom combines all the things this skier needs for a proper pmts transition. It involves all the things that are lacking- stance ski release through flexing, little toe edge balance, and lifted strong inside ski tipping to get the skis on edge.
I suspect that if the video of the skier were on a steeper slope, we would see a lot more twisting the skis, and no tipping. In which case the solution might be different-work on tipping. But this is what was presented, so it's probably best to go with the super phantom.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Robert0325 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 am

Max thanks for the feedback. I'd just like to understand my errors in a bit more detail. As I see it from the image below I'm Releasing and transferring balance to the LTE of the uphill ski as per a Super Phantom, am I correct?

As I see it the engagement is where it goes wrong. I don't seem to be engaging be tipping the inside edge first. Indeed I don't seem to be doing much tipping at all in the upper C. Is my analysis correct?
Robert0325

Postby DougD » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:53 am

Robert0325 wrote:As I see it from the image below I'm Releasing and transferring balance to the LTE of the uphill ski as per a Super Phantom, am I correct?

This skiing does not include much Releasing. When there's no Engagement (due to no Tipping) there's nothing to release.

These two images are from near the end of a turn to the right.
- The first image shows that the inside (R) ski was lifted mid-turn (but not tipping toward its LTE).
- The second image shows that the R ski was placed back down on the snow (not by flexing the L stance leg, but by extending the R leg). The skier then leaned to the R to create an equally weighted, two-footed stance (compare the torso angles in the two images).

This is not a Release. It's a shift from a (non-tipping, unengaged) one-footed stance to a (non-tipping, unengaged) two-footed stance.

I don't seem to be engaging be tipping the inside edge first. Indeed I don't seem to be doing much tipping at all in the upper C. Is my anaysis correct?

There isn't much Tipping at any point in these turns.

The Super Phantom that Max_501 recommended addresses all of these issues... as milesb also explained above.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:25 am

DougD wrote:The Super Phantom that Max_501 recommended addresses all of these issues... as milesb also explained above.

Exactly!

Master the drills in the order they are presented in Books 1 and 2 to build the rock solid RTE movement pattern seen in HH's excellent demos of the SP.

Here's something I wrote back in 2010.

If you are already making PMTS movements but not doing enough of a movement then the MA will tell you to tip more, CB more, or whatever more. However, if you aren't making the movements then the MA will suggest working on drills for tipping, counter acting, etc. Generally there isn't any short cut of 'just do X' and you'll be doing the PMTS movement. Now, you might be doing something minor that is inhibiting a PMTS movement, for example dropping the inside hand which causes you to lose the CB you had or stopping the tipping to the LTE which causes you to lose the tipping you had. But in those cases the PMTS movement was already there and then lost due to X so the MA can address this. But, if a skier is starting a turn with a slight stem the fix is to move to tipping rather than stemming. There are various drills one can do to learn tipping and the books have detailed step by step instructions on how this is best accomplished. Therefore, you'll often see the MA say go back to Book 1 and work on the drills in the book and verify the outcome of those drills with video (because we can't rely on feeling).

Harald has provided a detailed road map to expert skiing. Its up to each skier to decide how diligent they want to be in following Harald's system to attain the expert skiing level. There aren't any short cuts. Follow the steps in book 1 and then book 2 if you want to be making PMTS movements on advanced terrain. Use video often to verify the movements you are making. Post video on the forum if/when you need additional feedback. Be open to MA that states the movements shown are not PMTS movements and more work is needed at the fundamental level.

Note that The Talent Code explains why deep practice (PMTS drills) works and also why skiing advanced terrain before you have mastered the fundamentals can delay your progress. Practice makes perfect and if you are using incorrect movements you'll end up with a perfect set of incorrect movements. Freeskiing terrain that is more advanced than you are ready for will inevitably lead to non PMTS movement patterns (generally a mix of active rotary and extension movements).

Note the bold sentence above.
Max_501

Postby Robert0325 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:12 am

Wow! In 16 years of skiing spread over the last 33 years I’ve never had such good feedback on my skiing.
Max, Miles and Doug thank you!
I must though specifically credit Doug for the clear analysis, which I totally got and leads me to understand why in my case the concentration of the Super Phantom that Max suggests is so important.
Pity it's the end of the ski season now, so will have to probably wait till next year before I post anything more for MA. Will try and concentrate on the SPM in the indoor ski center over the summer
Thanks once again.
Robert
Robert0325

Postby DougD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:01 am

Your willingness to post video and accept feedback with an open mind is what makes an MA thread useful.

I'm sure Max_501 did the whole analysis that I did, and more. He just didn't bother to post unecessary details. His first two posts said all that was really necessary. The lengthy followup MA addressed some misperceptions, but you already had your instructions from the coach. Focus on those.

Max_501's final bolded sentence may seem like a non-sequitar. It's not. Review your initial post and you'll see why he added this comment.
Last edited by DougD on Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougD

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video