Stephane - MA Request

Re: Stephane - MA Request

Postby ToddW » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Speed control,

There are two sides to the MA forum: getting your turns analyzed and taking a crack at analyzing someone else's turns to test your comprehension of PMTS skiing. The latter is the main reason this subforum exists. The coaches step in if a major misunderstanding occurs, if there's something interesting and unusual in a video, or if they have free time in their busy schedules. (They may also connect with a skier via forum private messages and you'd never know.)

What you have here is a gift. Whether you choose to see the gift box as half full or half empty is up to you. True, you don't have a free priority hotline to Harald, but you do have more access to MA training material here than any level 4 or examiner in the non-PMTS world. If you want more, take a PMTS camp -- it's hard to get the coaches to shut up about MA and get back to skiing. To hone an already well developed MA eye into a great MA eye, work your butt off in the alignment technician training course.

Max_501 is not retired. He runs a specialized business in a highly competitive industry. I am grateful for his generosity and contributions to this forum. His amazing memory and attention to minute detail make him a unique and most valuable contributor.
ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Speedcontrol,

Here's a gem buried in two of HH's posts in this thread. If you find the common theme and Google the forum for more, you'll have a season of training laid out for your consideration. It's a focus that would benefit many of us. I think this was a nice New Year's gift from HH to the forum. You definitely got more than your money's worth :)

The first thing to address is the hands and arms, they have to get wider to loosen up

Is this easy? If you have stiffness in your body or are tight while skiing, of course not.
ToddW

Postby speedcontrol » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:00 pm

ToddW, this was exactly my point - to reach to these 2 important lines that you quote I needed to go through 30 political statements (and all this in MA thread) that went from the newly elected US president and his language to other ski systems etc. etc. and I already know all this and I don't log here to read it again and again. I log here for these 2 lines. As for your suggestion to try the camps , once I retire and family, kids, work and 5000 km are no more on the way , I'm sure I'll make it to the camps.
speedcontrol

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Mr. Speedcontrol, are you serious!! Your sense of entitlement is off the charts. Its your job to search for comments that will unlock things in your skiing, not mine or anyone else's.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby speedcontrol » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm

jbotti wrote:Mr. Speedcontrol, are you serious!! Your sense of entitlement is off the charts. Its your job to search for comments that will unlock things in your skiing, not mine or anyone else's.

I don't understand your point.
speedcontrol

Postby jbotti » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Not sure it can be said much clearer than the way it was phrased.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby milesb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Harald Harb is going to Make Skiing Great Again!
PMTS is Bigly!!
The phantom move is hyuuuge!
PSIA would be in jail!
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:12 pm

speedcontrol wrote:And here is my constructive idea : if Max_501 is a qualified PMTS coach he should be liberated from his role as a forum policeman in order to be on the front line, much more available as a coach in the MA threads and to react rapidly when someone posts a video with his own analyses rather then to react on other MA posters.

I should be more available to provide rapid MA's for free? No thanks, I already have a job and it even pays the bills!
Max_501

Postby speedcontrol » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 am

Max_501 wrote:
speedcontrol wrote:And here is my constructive idea : if Max_501 is a qualified PMTS coach he should be liberated from his role as a forum policeman in order to be on the front line, much more available as a coach in the MA threads and to react rapidly when someone posts a video with his own analyses rather then to react on other MA posters.

I should be more available to provide rapid MA's for free? No thanks, I already have a job and it even pays the bills!

If you are not willing to provide rapidly your opinion on somebody 's skiing for free , am I right to think that you are only payed to shoot rapidly at other people's MA attempts.( example this thread) And if all the coaches here share your viewpoint and are not willing to provide MA for free , then why this section of the forum should exist ? Logical question .
speedcontrol

Postby woomass75 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:10 am

My 2 cents. I don't post often on this forum often but I've been a long time reader. One of my favorite things about PMTS is it's consistency. From the very beginnings of this forum years ago through all the books, the message is the same. Max_501 and others have put a ton of time into helping keep that message consistent. He deserves thanks.
woomass75

Postby Obrules15 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 am

woomass75 wrote: Max_501 and others have put a ton of time into helping keep that message consistent. He deserves thanks.

100% AGREE!

Of course if you don't, you are also 100% allowed to not use this free resource which people voluntarily contribute their time and energy to keeping going and occasionally nudging things back on track. For the last seven months I have been gratefully pouring through every thread to learn as much as I can about PMTS and appreciate everything and everybody that has kept it going over the years. I've learned as much from the bad MA and responses as I have from the good and the nuggets that make the most difference for me may or may not be the obvious. Thank you, Thank you, and Thank you, again!! Please don't let ungrateful, self-involved types change how anyone approaches this forum. There are always 100x more quiet appreciators than loud complainers.

THANK YOU!!!
Obrules15

Postby sgarrozzo » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

ToddW wrote:Speed control,

There are two sides to the MA forum: getting your turns analyzed and taking a crack at analyzing someone else's turns to test your comprehension of PMTS skiing. The latter is the main reason this subforum exists. The coaches step in if a major misunderstanding occurs, if there's something interesting and unusual in a video, or if they have free time in their busy schedules. (They may also connect with a skier via forum private messages and you'd never know.)

What you have here is a gift. Whether you choose to see the gift box as half full or half empty is up to you. True, you don't have a free priority hotline to Harald, but you do have more access to MA training material here than any level 4 or examiner in the non-PMTS world. If you want more, take a PMTS camp -- it's hard to get the coaches to shut up about MA and get back to skiing. To hone an already well developed MA eye into a great MA eye, work your butt off in the alignment technician training course.

Max_501 is not retired. He runs a specialized business in a highly competitive industry. I am grateful for his generosity and contributions to this forum. His amazing memory and attention to minute detail make him a unique and most valuable contributor.

Ben said ToddW, this is a gem. :D And after all we like the gift box half full but we don't cry on the half empty. Everyone gives hthe contribution he can make.
The most important thing is that there is someone trying to make a contribution.
And then we like to have someone who can say his opinion when you come to nothing done:
"so many will point out that Harb is an asshole, but an asshole who can see what is to be fixed in skiing".............................. :D
sgarrozzo

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm

speedcontrol wrote:If you are not willing to provide rapidly your opinion on somebody 's skiing for free , am I right to think that you are only payed to shoot rapidly at other people's MA attempts.( example this thread) And if all the coaches here share your viewpoint and are not willing to provide MA for free , then why this section of the forum should exist ? Logical question .

I'd like to post this so there is no confusion... and let me be very clear... The coaches who post here are NOT paid. They are FREELY volunteering their PERSONAL TIME to help fellow PMTS skiers. They all have "real" jobs. They all have families. They are here because they want to be... not because an elitist poster thinks they are entitled be fed the cliff notes to every conversation on the forum.

As others have mentioned, the purpose of this section is to serve as a learning tool to those who want to practice PMTS movement analysis AND for skiers to submit video for analysis. When a coach responds the appropriate response is "thank you" as you've just received for free, advice that is worth thousands of dollars in-person coaching.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby ToddW » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:28 pm

To amplify upon Heluva's point, I do the Hintertux Camp and a week of private lessons with a black level coach each season. That's a major annual financial investment in learning PMTS. My wallet and I are blown away by how much the coaches give away online for free or for a $20 e-video download fee. Their participation here is a labor of love. What compensation they do receive is in the form of skier gratitude and anecdotes or video of skier improvements.

I sometimes ski or hang out in the locker room with highly regarded level 3s. Not one of them could give you the kind of useful guidance that amateurs do on this MA forum. I recently kept my mouth shut riding a chairlift as one of them did an MA of Shiffrin's GS runs at our hill back in November ... LoL. They're well-meaning and passionate about skiing, but for a million dollars they couldn't give you what you get here for free.

Please join me in thanking Harald, Diana, Skiersynergy, Max_501, Heluvaskier, Geoffda, RichK, and the other blue and black level coaches who have donated their time and wisdom to the forum over the years.
ToddW

Postby milesb » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 pm

speedcontrol wrote:
Max_501 wrote:

If you are not willing to provide rapidly your opinion on somebody 's skiing for free , am I right to think that you are only payed to shoot rapidly at other people's MA attempts.( example this thread) And if all the coaches here share your viewpoint and are not willing to provide MA for free , then why this section of the forum should exist ? Logical question .

Must be 10 minutes to Wapner....
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video