Nice Win for Schiffrin

Nice Win for Schiffrin

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:11 am

Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Nice Win for Schiffrin

Postby theorist » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Her second reindeer!
theorist

Postby mountainbum » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:18 pm

Anybody notice something funky with her boot alignment?
mountainbum

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:31 pm

She won but it's not great skiing. For her standard!
h.harb

Postby sgarrozzo » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:49 am

Amazingly I thought the same thing when I saw her skiing. Maybe can it depends on how much has become big? She has her thighs like those of Hirscher!! :D
sgarrozzo

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:54 am

I'm pretty sure man thighs did not destroy her skiing.
Obrules15

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:46 am

It's mostly the boot set up, it would end up biting her but the rest of the field is so weak, she can still win. It still might though, on a certain courses or pitches.
h.harb

Postby Obrules15 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:55 am

So mountainbum is right, she does have funky alignment. I thought that got fixed when you had her get back into her old boots.

What exactly is the deal w/ athletes being obligated to wear certain gear even if it hurts their chances of winning? I seem to remember you mentioning Hirsher not skiing to his potential because of the team being obligated to ski on a certain brand of skis. Why can't they just sticker the gear and use whatever works best.
Obrules15

Postby jbotti » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:19 am

They actually can ski any gear they choose but not after signing multi million dollar equipment contracts.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby theorist » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:02 am

Actually, the big stars can generally ski any ski or boot they want. It just has to be disguised with their sponsor's cosmetics. I have heard independent reports from three individuals with direct knowledge of the WC circuit that Hirscher was on Nordica boots for at least part of last year (and may have also been on Nordica skis, though they weren't as certain on that count).

The one exception is bindings, which generally can't be disguised. That's why it was such a big deal when Hirscher convinced Atomic to let him use the Marker piston plate (after denying the same latitude to Janka, even though Janka was also a star — one overall title and one discipline title — though obviously not as big a star as Hirscher). I guess Atomic decided the marketing downside of a few enthusiasts knowing that Hirscher was on a competitor's binding setup was less than the upside of him having the equipment he needed to continue to win. Of course, with boots and skis, it's a much simpler proposition — their athlete gets what he feels he needs to win, and the sponsor gets the same exposure from the disguised equipment.

And even in the event the specific reports of Hirscher having been in Nordica boots happen to all be wrong, the above publicly-known occurrence with the bindings illustrates that angling-to-get-whatever-equipment-helps-them-win (irrespective of brand) is something WC skiers do — a practice strongly facilitated, for skis and boots, by the ease with which they can be disguised with someone else's cosmetics.

I told one of my European contacts that a comprehensive report on this practice would make a great article for a European investigative sports journalist — identifying, for each big-name skier, what brand(s) of ski and boot he/she actually uses (and thought such an article would make a big splash there, since skiing is so big in Europe). He agreed, but said most of the print journalists that cover skiing in Europe are pretty lazy — they just show up and don't do much beyond the obvious reporting.
theorist

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:02 am

The belief that hirscher switched to a nordics mid season, that is about as accurate as me switching to Full tilt boots, in mid season. If you believe this you and your sources have no idea what a world cup skier goes through to adjust to a ski tune, let alone a boot change!
I told one of my European contacts that a comprehensive report on this practice would make a great article for a European investigative sports journalist — identifying, for each big-name skier, what brand(s) of ski and boot he/she actually uses (and thought such an article would make a big splash there, since skiing is so big in Europe). He agreed, but said most of the print journalists that cover skiing in Europe are pretty lazy — they just show up and don't do much beyond the obvious reporting.
theorist

No, it's not because they are lazy , it's because they have absolutely no proof.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:10 am

On Schiffrin, now they have screwed up her left foot boot completely. It used to be only the right one. These guys at Atomic are totally messed up. They are fortunate to have good athletes that can survive in spite of their bad boot work.

I'll do a photo montage of the recoveries that Schiff had to make at Levi that she has never been close to making before this slalom. I've had my feet into Atomic 150 WC boot it's diabolical, it would require a total rework just to be able to fee ski in it. These guys heads are off to the crazy side, they are totally locking up the foot. Notice how more and more racers are doing well in the Dalbello?
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:45 am

h.harb wrote:The belief that hirscher switched to a nordics mid season, that is about as accurate as me switching to Full tilt boots, in mid season. If you believe this you and your sources have no idea what a world cup skier goes through to adjust to a ski tune, let alone a boot change!

I never said he switched mid-season. One of my contacts said he saw him skiing on a non-Atomic, and likely Nordica, boot during a particular race last year, so I was simply using careful language to avoid claiming he was on Nordicas for the entire season. It could well be he was on that boot for the entire season.

h.harb wrote:No, it's not because they are lazy , it's because they have absolutely no proof.

Are you asserting that WC skiers don't ski on disguised equipment from other brands? It's my understanding, from multiple sources, that this is not an uncommon practice.
theorist

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm not asserting anything, I saying what it is to live up to your contract on the world cup! You have to be pretty naive to think that Atomic is going to allow Hirscher to ski on anything but a boot or ski product made by Atomic. Even a hint of that could totally damage their reputation and their creed. Please don't continue this line of total subjective banter unless you have proof. It advances nothing. I already stated Atomic is terrible at boot set up. I have proof of that.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:50 pm

The whole premise and bringing this discussion here, is absurd. Even the binding issue is absurd. Do you think someone, who is an advanced skier will change the plates on an Atomic ski and install a Marker plate because Hirscher did it? Do you really think skiers are going to paint their Nordica boots, red and black just because there is a rumor that Hirscher did it to be able to ski on Nordica boots, in one race. He would have tested this in summer and known if he was faster on Nordica, well before a certain race in season. How stupid do you think these people are? This is just childish banter, and advances nothing.

However, the fact that Atomic has screwed themselves, by not understanding technique and alignment for critical adjustments for their top racers, now that is a topic of discussion that has merit. I hope you can understand the difference..
h.harb

Next

Return to Racing