2017 Skis for Learning PMTS: Dynastar Speed Zone or Others

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

2017 Skis for Learning PMTS: Dynastar Speed Zone or Others

Postby andy2667 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:59 am

Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to learning PMTS. I am an intermediate level skier (maybe advanced intermediate) and started self learning PMTS in last season. I only skied approx 12~18 days a season and usually ski in Japan with reasonable amount of powder. I have been skiing for a number of years and and is approaching 50. 170cm 75kg. Not ski fast.

My previous ski was Volki RTM 75. It was sufficient for an intermediate skier. However, as I skied faster, I felt the RTM was not stable when the speed increase. It was particularly not stable when skiing in crub and thicker ungroomed snow. Therefore, in last season, I upgraded my ski. Knowing that I will need to handle some powder, I wanted a wider all mountain ski. 85~90mm wide has been the recent trend and I bought an 169mm Atomic Vantage 90CTI ski. It is a good ski. Easy to turn, reasonably easy in powder and quite grippy in hard snow for its width. However, after reading comments in this forum , I note that a 90mm wide ski will not be good for learning PMTS. As I have just started learning PMTS, I want to get a good tool for leaning. I have searched this forum and understand that the Head SS Speed is a good ski for PMTS. Not sure if the new 2017 modle which is stiffer is suitable for me as an advanced intermediate.

Apart from the SS Speed, I also read good comments on the Dynastar Speed Zone 14 but read some not very good comments on the Speed Zone 12. It is no way for me to get ski locally and I have to buy ski online. I searched a number of online shops and noted that it is easier to get the Speed Zone 12 instead of the 14. In addition , the Speed Zone 12 seems to be more suitable for a less skilled skier. Any particular issue for the Dynastar Speed Zone for learning PMTS? Or it is better to get the Speed zone 14? I only one find one online shop carrying the Speed zone 14 but luckily it is now on sale in that shop at quite a good price. If Speed zone 14 is better, I may buy it right off that shop. If the Speed zone 12 is more suitable for an intermediate skier, I will spend a little bit more to get that one.

Or you would advise me to get the 2017 Head SS Speed? If I buy it online, it would be far more expensive than buying the Dynastar.

Apart from the Head SS Speed and Dynastar Speed Zone, any other recommendations?

How about those narrow waist craving skis from Atomic, Volki....etc?

I want to get it before end December to prepare my first ski trip in mid Jan

Thanks advance for your advices.
Last edited by andy2667 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
andy2667

Re: 2017 Skis for Learning PMTS: Dynastar Speed Zone or Othe

Postby Obrules15 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:20 am

I was going to suggest a forum search as I swore I'd read that the Dumont shop would be carrying only the SZ 12 but when I looked I couldn't find that post. The posts I did find were either not specific enough or were contradictory. You might consider calling/emailing the shop to make sure you're getting accurate info. But if you haven't definitely make sure to read the posts on the 2017 gear, they have some great insights/information.
Obrules15

Postby jbotti » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:12 pm

The Speedzone 12 and 14 are the same skis just with different set ups. One comes with a system binding (I believe its the 14) and has a higher delta on the binding that most liked better (and the 12 comes flat). Bear in mind that you could easily find a binding for the 12 with a higher delta and replicate the set up of the 14 it but it might not be a look binding (I know nothing about Look bindings other than the ones they were putting on the 12 had minimal delta).

For most PMTS skiers that have tried it, the SZ 14 is the preferable ski so if you if you have found a pair at a good price you should grab them.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby zuschauer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:18 pm

John, the Speed Zone 14 comes with a Race Plate (Similar to a Head Isl) and is sold with Look Racing binding with the better delta and you can pad out toe or heel when mounting to change the delta. The plate is of course drilled for look bindings.

The SZ 12 has a slide on adjustable binding that you cannot change the delta on. This will be the more common and easily found unit. Harald liked the 14 when I saw him at the show last year. More options with this version, plus you'll be a little higher up on the plate
(have the 12 in store) but recommend the 14 for PMTS

Richard
zuschauer

Postby jbotti » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby zuschauer » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:28 pm

And yes, you are correct, exactly the same (SZ 12 vs SZ 14 other than the binding set-up)
zuschauer

Postby theorist » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:45 pm

How stiff is the race plate? If it's substantial, it should make the 14 feel like a stiffer, higher-performance ski than the 12. [Note: I'm not saying stiff; PMTS eschews stiff skis. I'm saying stiffER.]
theorist

Postby Basil j » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:12 pm

I demoed the SZ 12 last year and found it to be a very good ski. The 14 has a plate so you have better leverage that the fluid binding set up, but i would imagine the 12 would be fine.
Basil j

Postby andy2667 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:25 am

Thanks all for the information and input. I now know more about the differences between the SZ 12 and SZ 14. Seems both skis are fine but the 14 may have flexibility for adjusting the Delta.

As for the race binding of SZ 14, forgive my ignorance, could it be adjusted for mid-point (i.e. a bit forward of the mid or a bid backyard of the mid) like that of the SZ 12 binding on rail?
andy2667

Postby zuschauer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am

Mount point can be adjusted, just move the bindings forward or backward on the predrilled holes (about 10 mm apart from each other) The new Look Racing binding uses the mount point of the Look pivot binding (very short toe to heel distance) in an effort to minimize the stiffening effect of the mounted binding on the skis. The race is available in 12, 14 and 18 din variants

Richard
zuschauer

Postby theorist » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 am

Note, however, that 10 mm increments may be too large to enable proper adjustment of fore-aft position. By comparison, the Head PRD bindings offer 4 mm increments. Don't know what the increments are with the binding on the Speedzone 12.
theorist

Postby zuschauer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:02 am

Key word "about" I can't measure it from where I sit. Maybe it is just 4 mm, point is: you can move the binding fore aft.
zuschauer

Postby andy2667 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:57 am

Hi all,

Thanks for the information. Decision made. I will go for tge Dynastar Speed Zone SZ. Either SZ 12 or SZ 14 is fine bit will lean toward the SZ 14.

Will get the 166cm length for my skill and size.
andy2667

Postby Saney » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:18 pm

Hi all,
It would be very interesting to get wide description regarding the difference between Head WC iSl 2017 and previous one 2016 especially from colleagues who skied both of them.

Thanks in advance,
Alex
Saney

Postby chris719 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 pm

Saney wrote:Hi all,
It would be very interesting to get wide description regarding the difference between Head WC iSl 2017 and previous one 2016 especially from colleagues who skied both of them.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Through a mistake I actually picked up a pair of 2017 iSL (non-RD) which the seller mislabeled as 2016. I haven't used them yet, but one very noticeable difference is the plate.

The old plate was the Speedflex 13 plate. The new plate looks much more like the RDX race plate. In fact, I think it uses the same mounting method and jig. It also has a brushed aluminum piece in the middle that links the two sections of the plate.

chris719

Next

Return to Gear