Jeet MA Request - 18092016 - SMIM = Flex to release

Jeet MA Request - 18092016 - SMIM = Flex to release

Postby Jeet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:45 am

Hi Guys,

Me again:) My SMIM = Flex to release. My last two videos still showed some extension (with some improvements, but not 100%). I have mainly been doing the knee touch exercise to try and rid the extension move. (The way Max501 advised me to do it) I think they maybe some turns that an extension maybe apparent (I am paranoid, if I don't see an obvious flex to release then I just mark it as an extension).

I am bracing for a "Sorry, still some extension" so go for it, please MA me, I can take it :)

My video

Alignment observations
Love to get your thoughts on this too.

Right leg - Slightly soft (Maybe ok for my ability)
Left leg (I am not sure, my instincts tell me the alignment is still modest for my ability level)

Jeet
Jeet

Re: Jeet MA Request - 18092016 - SMIM = Flex to release

Postby Obrules15 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:41 am

You are such an inspiration, thank you continuing to post and show us all what can happen with perserverence, and attention to detail!
Obrules15

Postby Jeet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks Obrules15 for you lovely comment. I hope others also start uploading more often. You must remember, I skii way more than the average skier (not on mountains, mountains it will once or twice a yar) but hey. Posting constant videos + everyone's input (especially the more seasoned PMTS skiers, like Max501 and I am eternally thank full) has been a major contributor.

I think people don't upload too often (except the fact they may not be doing much skiing so no new footage) but the fear of being heavily critiqued of what you believe to be good skiing. I have changed the way I think about this. Critique makes space for improvement. This video, I think I am decent but I am also prepared for comments that say "flexing is still you SMIM, sorry" or "closer, but your not there yet" or "there is a slight extension on your left turns", BUT I know if I follow the advice the next footage will be better.

Note: I played the video again and I think the rate at which the video plays is faster than it was recorded. (This was not intentional :D ). I am not going as fast as the video suggests.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:17 am

It's hard to tell if this applies to you ... because of the video editing ... but I think it does to a small extent. Instead of starting out standing up and aiming right down the fall line, I've found it beneficial to start at an angle to the fall line and already in a flexed position. In other words, I start out as if I were in a transition between turns. This to avoid "sinking down" to perform the first turn which is un-PMTS-like. In tight quarters like you are experiencing, you can start out at an angle and flexed and essentially (two-footed) release into a new "transition" going the other way and then turn.

Looking at the vid it appears you are pretty much trying to do something like this but maybe it would be good to mentally and physically start in a position of how you want a transition to feel.
Last edited by NoCleverName on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoCleverName

Postby Jeet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:21 am

Do you mean how Harald Starts his turn in the video with him and Reilly "Harald Harb with Reilly McGlashan! Two generations, 37 years. Has skiing changed???? " at 16 seconds into the video?

Jeet
Jeet

Postby NoCleverName » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:30 am

While you were typing that I was actually looking at that same vid to see if he started more or less in that fashion ... I noticed his first turn was kind of a feint to the right which put him in "transition mode". I'm thinking he looks at turns as starting with transition, not so much starting with tipping. Look like hes releases into the FL to get some speed, then the little move to the right, then away they go.

I'd also like to point out, as I have before, that getting off the lift is an excellent opportunity to practice starting off flexed and release, and tip. As HH says, "You are always practicing, whether you know it or not." So don't practice bad moves anywhere.
Last edited by NoCleverName on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoCleverName

Postby Jeet » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 am

It's a great point. I guess it would also mean I wouldn't look like a mad man heading straight down the fall line and get more turns in on the limited size of the slope.
Jeet

Postby deicreo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:46 am

Hi Jeet,

I will not adress FTR in my MA I would like to point out some differences between turns:
Your turn to the left (when the right leg is the outside leg) is very good. You are starting it with early tipping
and lifitng of the ski which is helping with early CB. CA seems to be appropriate, there is some carving left in that turn.
However the turn to the right (when the left leg is the outside leg) is quite different. You are not lifting the old stance leg as you do with other side.
Thus your CB comes late and in some turns there is very little of CB. Then comes the insufficient CA on that side and that is what I would emphasize as the SMIM to improve.
So, work on the LTE capabilities of your left leg so you could lift that right leg in more pronounced way, so your CB comes earlier in the turn. Once you progress with it focus on your left side CA, which appears to be
the hardest movement to learn especially in short brushed turns.

Good to see skiers improving on their own.
deicreo

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:37 am

Thanks deicreo for your MA and your suggestions for further improvement.

This is what I noticed when looking at the vids in more detail (good to know my MA is getting better). A marked difference from right to left turns. I like my turns to the left and not so much for my right turns.

Let me consider the factors that could cause this... (there is probably lots more than what is listed below)

1. Technique ( that's where your comments comes into play and I will put what you say into practice as number 1 priority (work on the LTE capabilities of my left leg)

2. Hip mobility and flexibility (My left side of my hip, it feels stiffer and less flexible so I already started with exercises which will help me improve mobility and flexibility as from last night)

3. Alignment? Now am not sure if you agree but I feel the left leg is slightly too strong compared to the right, so I could experiment reducing the canting on this side. My question is, if one is slightly over canted on a leg does that make counter balance and/or counteraction slightly more difficult to achieve? You may ask why do I think the above is true, well I am thinking that a Knock-kneed skier generally displays too much counter so it could possibly means the reverse for over canted skier (where they would have to lean in first and then get late CB from the hips which generally too late for mortals like us (I mean that stronger and world cup athletes can achieve this).

I believe my left foot is slightly more rigid then my right foot. Left foot seems have some pes cavus properties. I also seem to have a slight tibia varum on the left leg. I know you cannot advise me much on this as there are no pictures, videos or measurements. I thought I just mention it just in case anyone has any ideas on things I can try/experiment with my setup.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:49 am

Not sure what FTR stands for?
Jeet

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:11 am

Jeet wrote:Not sure what FTR stands for?

I'm guessing "flex-transfer-release"
NoCleverName

Postby deicreo » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 am

Jeet wrote:
Not sure what FTR stands for?

NoCleverName wrote:
I'm guessing "flex-transfer-release"

Sorry, for making confusion here: "FTR" I meant flexing to release.

I can not elaborate about alignment since I am not alignment technician.
However, I would play with the canting as you described it, but then I would take the video to judge if the change is right or wrong.
I would not rely on the feeling.

The last video that you have presented seems to be speed up ? The snow conditions in indoor places tend to be wet, sticky slash, that is hard to release the ski from.

The turns that you are making are very quick. You are quick with your tipping but getting quickness with moves like CA takes a lot of practice.
In edge locked turns CA is easier to make, it is also true when the turn radius is bigger. What I am trying to say is that you have to probably make some longer turns to learn the CA thing.
deicreo

Postby Jeet » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:34 am

Thanks for clearing that up. For about 3 hours the snow is fresh first thing in the morning where I will practicing this.

Jeet
Jeet

Postby Obrules15 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:23 pm

Jeet,

What are you seeing/reading that makes you think knock-kneed skiers are over countered?
Obrules15

Postby Obrules15 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Jeet,

I just wanted to mention what happened to me in terms of alignment, as it might be helpful. I am knock-kneed and was originally aligned by an outside shop who gave me a one degree plate in my left boot and a two degree plate in my right boot which worked well and my skiing improved significantly. I then started skiing in a rigid knee brace which caused me to have excruciating pain in my right knee when in canted boots. It was so bad I had to get the canting plate taken out on that side. Once I finally found my way to Diana she realized the problem was the strength of the cuff against my leg due to my significant tibia valgus, not the sole canting. With my cuff adjusted I easily tolerated a 1.5 degree plate.

HH has often talked about the effect of cuff pressure against the lower leg in his blog (I think he pointed out problems w/ a Shiffren set up a few years back), so if you've only compensated for knee location with sole canting but made no cuff adjustments to accomodate your tibia varum it might be worth thinking about.
Obrules15

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video