Movement analysis for Skijim

Re: Movement analysis for Skijim

Postby DougD » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:17 pm

Thanks, Max. Duly noted.
DougD

Postby rwd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:42 am

Max_501 wrote:
rwd wrote:Harald covered this topic in Essentials, under the heading "when do we flex without releasing" and demonstrates it's effect with the "pole lean". Experiment with the timing of when you start flexing while still tipping - too soon and you lose ski bend, too late and it's difficult to tighten the arc. Good luck.

This is a black level movement mainly for racers or those that want to put their hip on the snow. Not something worth messing with until you find that you can't get your hip closer than 6" to the snow.

Max,
What movement do you recommend to tighten the arc in the low C?
rwd

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:08 am

rwd wrote:What movement do you recommend to tighten the arc in the low C?

Put some video up for MA and one of us will point you in the right direction.
Max_501

Postby rwd » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:40 am

Ski season's over here. I will try to get some video on rollerblades.
rwd

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 pm

In general, skiers that are unable to tighten the arc are deficient in one or more of the Essentials. Here's a list of common issues that block tight arcs.

1) Not enough inside foot tipping through the arc. [Tip, tip, and tip some more!]
2) The inside leg isn't flexed enough. [Suck that inside foot up and out of the way!]
3) The inside foot isn't held back through the arc. [Pull that foot back hard and hold it back throughout the arc!]
4) The inside ski is diverging. [Work on inside foot management!]
5) Lack of CB. [Tip hard and CB harder!]
6) Lack of CA. [Try to get that belly button pointed over the tip of the outside ski!]
7) Extending the outside leg too early. [Flex to release and hold the flex at the top of the arc, extend only to maintain contact with the snow, don't try to create pressure, let pressure be the result of excellent movements!]
Max_501

Postby l2ski » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:57 am

Max_501 wrote:
In general, skiers that are unable to tighten the arc are deficient in one or more of the Essentials. Here's a list of common issues that block tight arcs.

1) Not enough inside foot tipping through the arc. [Tip, tip, and tip some more!]
2) The inside leg isn't flexed enough. [Suck that inside foot up and out of the way!]
3) The inside foot isn't held back through the arc. [Pull that foot back hard and hold it back throughout the arc!]
4) The inside ski is diverging. [Work on inside foot management!]
5) Lack of CB. [Tip hard and CB harder!]
6) Lack of CA. [Try to get that belly button pointed over the tip of the outside ski!]
7) Extending the outside leg too early. [Flex to release and hold the flex at the top of the arc, extend only to maintain contact with the snow, don't try to create pressure, let pressure be the result of excellent movements!]

Thanks Max, I copied this into my PMTS notes. By the way, do you have any comments for the MA? I'm curious to hear your views.
l2ski

Postby Max_501 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 am

skijim13 wrote:I have been working on my skiing since the short turn camp. I believe that I CA better in the left direction than the right. My focus was improving my phantom move, holding onto the LTE, keeping my CA till I start on my new LTE. Any feedback would be welcome.
Jim

What was your SMIM at the end of the camp?
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:20 am

I had two keep tipping to the end of the turn, and hold counter till you start on the next set of edges
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:02 am

skijim13 wrote:I had two keep tipping to the end of the turn, and hold counter till you start on the next set of edges

Excellent movements to work on.

The video quality makes it difficult to see the movements so take the following with a grain of salt...

1) It looks like you need more CA (especially at the pelvis) on your right footers (when the right foot is the stance foot).
2) It looks like you could amp up the tipping of your inside foot so that you tipped earlier and stronger such that you'd see an O-Frame at the top of the turn.
3) If you want to build bigger angles then flexing the inside leg (as you tip) will help.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:06 am

Max, great advise this is what I have been working on. Lorie and I also spent the past three weekends skiing with a pole between our two skis poles to work on our CA as well as angry mother drills. The pole between the ski poles give us excellent feedback when we are losing our CA in turns and make a conection to CA when we put our poles back into our hands. Dianna video on the drill is excellent and really helps in seeing how to do the drill correctly. I know that losing the CA will also cause me to have a heel push to get into the next turn and I have been losing it in some of my turns. Lorie also has a similar problem in her turns that she worked on in camp. When I hold it correctly it is a great feeling my skis just turn freely and my arcs looks great from the lift. Our season ended yesterday so we will go back to dryland training over the summer on the tipping board. Postive feedback from fellow skiers saying the turns look good and we are first for them ever to see someone use such a drill on the mountain.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:40 pm

We have 4 new downloadable videos coming up on our web site. One of the new videos I just got finished filming, will be up in May. It's a new approach to retraction. I call it, "edge retraction" exercise. I'm finding that skiers don't use the edge rebound energy, to retract, at the end of their tipping. Using this new exercise made a huge difference with TODD. (Note my latest Blog description of Todd's skiing changes.) it's mostly about developing CA, but the retracting movement was a big part of that stronger edge angle Todd achieved.

Although I didn't talk much about the exercise in the post, Todd responded really well to the exercise, his turns became quicker in transition and this ski tails didn't drop down, as far across the fall before he was able to release and retract. Of course, if you have the movements and still aren't executing to your desires use "target tipping"; (edge change without direction change). Jim, I find reducing the time the skis are flat in transition brings higher performance. All this of course is undoing years of PSIA steering and pivoting.
Fundamentally, you are making the right movements, but in certain areas like edge to edge change, the new edges for the new arc, are late coming up to angles. This increases flat ski skid and delays onset of ski engagement. Remember how I say skiing isn't about turning your skis. Skiing is about getting the ski on an angle, so the skis turn you.
h.harb

Postby ToddW » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:49 pm

I absolutely hated the "edge retraction" exercise at first, which made me smile because I knew that meant improvements were on the way!

When the video comes out, pay careful attention to the timing and details of the exercise. Speaking from experience, it would be easy to practice something that's not quite right.
ToddW

Postby skijim13 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:52 am

Harald, thanks for your input. I will look for those videos in May, so much to learn with so little time to train in the Northeast due to our short winter. I will be ready to work on those as soon as ski season starts again.
skijim13

Postby rwd » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:28 pm

h.harb wrote:We have 4 new downloadable videos coming up on our web site. One of the new videos I just got finished filming, will be up in May. It's a new approach to retraction. I call it, "edge retraction" exercise. I'm finding that skiers don't use the edge rebound energy, to retract, at the end of their tipping. Using this new exercise made a huge difference with TODD. (Note my latest Blog description of Todd's skiing changes.) it's mostly about developing CA, but the retracting movement was a big part of that stronger edge angle Todd achieved.

Although I didn't talk much about the exercise in the post, Todd responded really well to the exercise, his turns became quicker in transition and this ski tails didn't drop down, as far across the fall before he was able to release and retract. Of course, if you have the movements and still aren't executing to your desires use "target tipping"; (edge change without direction change). Jim, I find reducing the time the skis are flat in transition brings higher performance. All this of course is undoing years of PSIA steering and pivoting.
Fundamentally, you are making the right movements, but in certain areas like edge to edge change, the new edges for the new arc, are late coming up to angles. This increases flat ski skid and delays onset of ski engagement. Remember how I say skiing isn't about turning your skis. Skiing is about getting the ski on an angle, so the skis turn you.

Harald: You recommend reducing the time "the skis" are flat in transition. In chapter 6 of ACBES 2 you recommend holding the new stance ski back during transition, and state that "The stance ski will change direction more easily as a result of free foot tipping if it is kept flat to the snow". Am I correct that it is important to tip the releasing ski strongly and promptly to its LTE, but that one can choose to let the new stance ski follow the tipping for early engagement, or hold it back for delayed engagement (brushing?)? Could you clarify when to choose early vs. delayed stance ski engagement? Do you recommend mastering early engagement before attempting release with delayed engagement? Thanks.
rwd

Postby h.harb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:08 pm

Your question has two answers. One is if you are learning use the delayed outside foot engagement. If you are aware of the delay and want more energy and rebound follow up strongly with the outside foot tipping. It is also situational, in off piste skiing, I use both in the same run.
h.harb

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video