Super Phantom-Observations and Questions

PMTS Forum

Super Phantom-Observations and Questions

Postby ComprexX » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 pm

Been working on the Super Phantom move, thought I would share a few insights:
1- It's really easy to work on this regularly by taking advantage of traverses, cat tracks and mild slopes. My home resort has a lot of intermediate slopes connected by cat tracks, there are a few traverses I take pretty much every time I get off the lift on my way to a steeper side hill. I use these traverses/cat tracks as a little warmup and do the Super Phantom on my way to the side hill, usually 5 or 6 turns. I often get 50 or more Super Phantom drills in a day by doing this.

2- I find that using the Super Phantom is a good way to get started on very steep hills also, particularly because it requires commitment to one ski, and commited movement/tipping into the new turn. If the hill is particularly steep, I may "break up" the hill by using 3 or 4 Super Phantom turns, then rest a bit and assess my performance.

3-Seems to be that the process of tipping the inside ski is what really makes the phantom work-in fact it just kind of happens without too much extra thought.

Question-is the Super Phantom primarily intended to be used on steeper slopes and/or turns with a more "round" shape/finish?
What if any are the advantages of the Super Phantom on shallower slopes and/or turns that are relatively straight in shape?
Is the Super Phantom intended to be used mostly in SL sized turns?
ComprexX

Re: Super Phantom-Observations and Questions

Postby Erik » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:52 am

ComprexX-

Harb Ski Systems has a downloadable ($10) 16-minute eVideo on their website entitled "Short Quick Turns". In that video, you will see how lift-and-tilt is applied to these turns. It is available here http://harbskisystems.com/collections/evideos/products/short-quick-turns-evideo. Much of the demonstation/lesson is done on very moderate terrain.
Erik

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:55 pm

Max_501

Postby ComprexX » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks Max-you always have a link or two I had not previously seen.

I am a bit confused- several of the links, Erik's video reference what I understand to be the "phantom".

Based on this forum post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4288 and several HH blog posts, I understand the Super Phantom to be a Phantom with transition to the LTE of the the inside ski (which is soon to be the new outside ski)-not merely "lift and tilt". Is this understanding correct?
ComprexX

Postby A.L.E » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Correct.
A.L.E

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:38 pm

ComprexX wrote:Based on this forum post viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4288 and several HH blog posts, I understand the Super Phantom to be a Phantom with transition to the LTE of the the inside ski (which is soon to be the new outside ski)-not merely "lift and tilt". Is this understanding correct?

From one of the links above:

h.harb wrote:The Phantom Move is the same thing as the Super Phantom. The only reason there is such a thing as a Super Phantom is because skiers thought they were doing a PM, but they were still pushing the uphill, old inside ski to the big toe edge, before lifting the stance ski. Therefore, I had to describe the PM in more detail and I called it the Super PM. The SuperPM puts emphasis where it should be, on standing on the old inside ski, the LTE, before the stance leg is flexed and stance ski lifted.

Do you have Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 2 (Book and DVD)?
Max_501

Postby Erik » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:03 am

I am a bit confused- several of the links, Erik's video reference what I understand to be the "phantom".

I posted the reference to the Short Quick Turns video because it applies the Super Phantom in short turns. I mentioned the lift-and-tilt because that is a major emphasis of the video.

There is no part of the Super Phantom that gets discarded to make a short quick turn. The Short Quick Turns e-video definitely teaches that the establishment of the little toe edge balance, before the lift-and-tilt move, is an essential component of the short parallel turn.
"Without it you just get a faster snowplow." - DR

Both the short and the quick part of Short Quick Turns are temptations to hurry and rush to the big toe edge.
"Be quick, but don't hurry." - John Wooden
Erik

Postby ComprexX » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:08 pm

I do have books 1 and 2, but not the video.
I've studied Harald's blog quite a bit front to back and quite a bit on the forum also.
Essentials and that video are on my list.
ComprexX

Postby Max_501 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:42 pm

ComprexX wrote:I do have books 1 and 2, but not the video.
I've studied Harald's blog quite a bit front to back and quite a bit on the forum also.
Essentials and that video are on my list.

Study Book 2 and get the video.
Max_501

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System