Video equipment for MA

Video equipment for MA

Postby rwd » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:34 pm

In a previous post by Max, he recommended using a camcorder with a viewfinder. I understand why, as I tried a camcorder on bright slope today with LCD screen and could not see image at all, only reflection of my face. Looking online for camcorder with viewfinder, I see mostly large pro-style camcorders which would not be practical. Jay's info on his website re using a compact digital camera is several years old. Anyone have any good solutions with currently available equipment? Thanks.
rwd

Re: Video equipment for MA

Postby CO_Steve » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:05 pm

I've got something I think is going to work out. Do an ebay search for "LCD viewfinder loupes magnifier"

Basically it's a metal frame that attaches to the tripod mount on your camera. Magnets in a rubber hood attach to the frame. Inside the hood there is a lens allowing you to view the image from close up. All external light is blocked and you can use whatever digital camera you have that takes movies. I have a Pentax Q and it allows me to zoom while shooting, very handy. Another side benefit is with the eyepiece pressed to your face it helps stabilize the image for smoother shooting.
CO_Steve

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:17 pm

There are reasonably sized camcorders with a viewfinder.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HC-X920 ... 00AW54Z7C/
Max_501

Postby rwd » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:13 am

I found online a folding sunshield for the LCD screen. Anyone have any experience with these?
rwd

Postby Max_501 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 am

rwd wrote:I found online a folding sunshield for the LCD screen. Anyone have any experience with these?

That might help with the sun but doesn't help with stability which is one of big advantages of using a viewfinder.
Max_501

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:34 pm

CO_Steve

Postby rwd » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm

We solved the glare issue with a partially homemade sunshield. Experimented with video on the mtn. yesterday.
Questions for the one shooting video:
Do you remove your skis before shooting?
Do you stand facing uphill and just try to pivot your neck and torso to pan as the skier passes you, or do you stand sideways to the slope so you can pivot equally
up and down the hill?
Any other practical tips appreciated.
rwd

Postby CO_Steve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Skis on. Face across hill. Pivot to look up and then down. Be prepared to zoom. You can usually stay zoomed in until the skier is pretty close but then you have to act fast as they go by and then zoom back in as they leave. Finding the right spot to film is important. A moderate hill that flattens is best. Stand in the flat a few turns below the steeper spot. Youtube is your friend. If your video is shakey upload it to youtube. They have a post processing anti-shake that is fantastic.
CO_Steve

Postby Hobbit » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:58 am

Just found this (through google ad :) ), looks very cool:

https://soloshot.com/
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby skijim13 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 am

looks great, would worry about it getting stolen. My wife and I work together to video, use ham radios to tell each other when we are ready. Use a digital camcorder that records both in AVH and MP3 and then send it to the ipad by wifi that is built into the camcorder.
skijim13

Postby Hobbit » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:02 pm

Yes, the original Soloshot was designed for windsurfers and setting it up on remote beach is less dangerous.
But even in your setup (2 people making alternative runs) it can offer benefits due to automatic zoom and tracking. Few people can zoom and track the moving object, I think it is a high skill. The robot tracker can potentially do much better. I am not going to jump right away but will wait for the Amazon availability and appropriate customer reviews history. If it's OK I will consider getting this setup.
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby Max_501 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:41 pm

CO_Steve wrote:Finding the right spot to film is important. A moderate hill that flattens is best. Stand in the flat a few turns below the steeper spot.

For MA purposes it's best to stand about half way down the run so you can get at least 5 turns coming at the camera and then 5 turns as the skier goes past the camera. Examples in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2590#p33596
Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video