Is this the state of the art in Canadian ski teaching?

PMTS Forum

Is this the state of the art in Canadian ski teaching?

Postby h.harb » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:00 pm

I watched two videos this guy JF has put up on You Tube. Canadian Demo Team and tech staff. I commented on both videos on You Tube. This is beyond amazingly complicated with no direction or out come. Have a look at my comments.
h.harb

Re: Is this the state of the art in Canadian ski teaching?

Postby joco » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:33 pm

So let's do it! .......... Do what exactly?????????? What a load of drivel. I hope they weren't paying customers.
Just makes me appreciate pmts even more. Once again thanks Harald for creating such a great system to teach us how to ski correctly!
joco

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:18 am

He is a very confused guy about skiing in all his presentations. His language is totally inaccurate for the themes he is trying to present. Much of what he says is backward, because in his own skiing he has major issues. He tells everyone it's about steering the legs and in fact he doesn't use steering in his skiing, he locks out to a straight leg. Sure he brings lots of energy, and hard hits, but when you compare him to the two Australians, his technique is miles behind. I have to give him his due, he works harder to produce ski turns than anyone I know, but by the time he's 50; he won't be able to do it.
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:29 pm

Your comments don't show up for me, am I missing something?
CO_Steve

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:34 pm

You mean on You Tube? I just checked it, this is the first on the Comments list.

This is a long talk for a very simple transition idea: Release, transfer and engage. What is said here goes on and is a very confusing concept that skiers can't use when skiing. Why not describe movements and focus on the part of the body to move? Teaching a skier an effective movement, gets immediate results that would short cut this amazingly complicated session. This concept originated from a video that you even admit; you are not sure you have figured out. So why present something this confusing without an end plan.

I guess, in Canada bowling is a big deal, the marble in the bowl. Other comments in the video are; "climbing the bowl, with precision. Be careful how you unload and shot the bowl. It's from a Japan ski video, that I'm not sure about, what is going on."

I've never heard anything quite as ridiculous before in skiing.
Truly a great fairy tail. I guess a quick release, like on the world cup doesn't get you up the wall in Canada.
Not one movement is given to achieve any changes in anyone's skiing. No movement advise to achieve what he's trying to give them is presented. He doesn't even know what he's saying. This is euphemistically called "Guided Discovery" While in actuality it's totally unguided. Most of his teaching or training is the Guided Discovery approach, with all kinds of ridiculous analogies included. Everyone listening is so excited and complimentary, what ever is happening, is powerful in it's control over the audience, that's for sure, he has them mesmerized.
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:55 pm

This is the entire comment section that I get:

cordeauski 1 month ago
Like a car in a banked turn. When banking off the sides the skier hits on the end of the bump and skips the bottom of the rut.
Reply ·

saintrroy 3 months ago (edited)
You are a very patient instructor, and while you may already know this of course as you are an expert instructor with decades of experience ! On some blogs this is called the X-move, others in Europe view letting the skis run in the direction of motion while the upper body moves forward down the hill, i.e. hips and torso moving down the hill, as simply just plain old 'finishing the turn'. Interesting analogy of climbing, thought that applied to visualizing angulation , seen that elsewhere.
- seeing different expressions of a solid technical element of good skiing is interesting. Cultures are different, ideas the same!
Reply ·

Vaios K 8 months ago
I think you're talking about the completion of a turn before you start another one.
As much as you drive uphill by pushing the outside ski so much you gaining speed to help you initiate the next turn, thus maintaining your speed and accelerate in each turn.
Reply · 1

petite grignette 1 year ago (edited)
les vidéos pourrais pas être en sous titrés ?? cela doit être intéressant se qu'il explique ??
Reply ·

François Couturier 1 year ago
Intéressant, c'est la première fois que je vois ce mouvement expliqué de cette façon. Dans mes cours, il y a plusieurs années, on parlait d'extension des jambes vers l'extérieur, mais je n'ai compris ce qu'on voulait dire (je pense) que bien plus tard, par hasard, suite à l'achat de nouveau matériel qui m'amenait à skier beaucoup plus vite que d'habitude.

Mais peut-être que je me trompe. J'aimerais donc savoir si les sensations suivantes sont bien associées à ce concept. Je me souviens encore très bien de ce premier virage où mes skis se sont retrouvés loin à l'extérieur du virage malgré moi, en raison de l'inertie due à la vitesse, si loin que j'avais auparavant l'impression que j'en tomberais par manque de support si je les laissais aller jusque là. Mais non, ils sont revenus et je ne suis pas tombé, ils sont revenus avant que j'aie fini de tomber. Quelle sensation quand on rentre ainsi dans le virage, au retour des skis!

L'autre sensation, la clé je pense, est qu'il faut laisser aller les pieds droit devant, vers l'extérieur, les pousser même légèrement tout en se redressant, ce qui peut donner l'impression d'être en léger déséquilibre vers l'arrière, tout en se laissant tomber -en attendant de tomber, vers l'intérieur du virage, du fait de la perte de support. Et ensuite, les skis reviennent et ça coupe!
Mais j'associe cette technique aux virages à grand et moyen rayons. Est-ce aussi applicable au court rayon? Je me demande toutefois si ça ne cause pas trop d'inclinaison. 
Read more
Reply ·

Steve Bayne 1 year ago
What's the name of that Japanese video? I work with a ski instructor from Japan who could translate.
Reply ·

Jf Beaulieu 1 year ago
Hey Steve, I can not find the video. It is an old video with Takao Maruyama in it...
Reply ·
CO_Steve

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:57 pm

They probably blocked my comments and I still see them, but they aren't published to anyone else.
h.harb

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:58 pm

We are talking about comments on the video you linked in the first post right?

Yea, not there for me.
CO_Steve

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:03 pm

Maybe others can check?
h.harb

Postby theorist » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:14 pm

h.harb wrote:Maybe others can check?

Yeah, not there for me either. I only see the same seven comments that CO_Steve showed.
theorist

Postby VAskier » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:22 pm

Harald,
When I looked at the video shortly after you first linked to it at the top of this thread, your comment was there; however, it is now no longer visible for me.

Looks like someone couldn't handle your honest, critical comment. I guess only cheerleaders and misguided skiers are allowed to comment. "Warning: All useful and insightful comments will be removed"
VAskier

Postby CO_Steve » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Guided Discovery is where they "Guide" themselves into "Discovering" how deep your wallet is.
CO_Steve

Postby thatguy_onthehill » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:13 pm

5 minute talk on the hill with no actual skiing; 'nought said!
thatguy_onthehill

Postby h.harb » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:38 pm

"Warning: All useful and insightful comments will be removed"

Perfect!
h.harb

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System