Technical comparison of 4 Demo Team skiers

PMTS Forum

Re: Technical comparison of 4 Demo Team skiers

Postby DougD » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:04 am

h.harb wrote:If your car's alignments is out of whack, does changing tires improve it? No, it just ruins the new tires.
:mrgreen:
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:59 am

Blue Mountain is Eric's home mountain, like mine, I wish he knew that he was off alignment. I am sure if I told him this it would not be taken well. Eric has good natural ability. If gets his alignment corrected and changes his method of skiing he would be making excellent turns.
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:32 am

That would be about a 2 season serious effort, ask Helluva??????
h.harb

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 am

skijim13 wrote:Blue Mountain is Eric's home mountain, like mine, I wish he knew that he was off alignment. I am sure if I told him this it would not be taken well. Eric has good natural ability. If gets his alignment corrected and changes his method of skiing he would be making excellent turns.

That's what makes him stand out from the other US Demo Teamers as well. Or maybe he's just younger? Whatever the reason his skiing is noticeably different from the skiing of his teammates. He could probably pick up PMTS pretty quickly.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby theorist » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:19 pm

This year Interski had a GS competition, which was a qualifier for a dual-slalom. Qualification for the slalom was based on individual, not team, times. Anyone have access to the times for the GS race, the bracket results for the dual-slalom, and/or videos of either? I think these would be a valuable addition to the free skiing for doing a technical comparison of the different countries.

[I'm not sure if they filmed the races -- here's a video snippet to show what the GS looked like, obviously taken by a personal camera: https://www.facebook.com/Interski2015/v ... 803198443/]

I did find the final results for the dual-slalom: The two 4-person teams that made the final consisted of 2 Brits + 1 Italian + 1 Japanese vs. 2 Swiss + 1 Korean + 1 Hungarian. The Swiss/Korean/Hungarian team won.
http://www.basiinterski.org.uk/interski ... y-11-sept/
theorist

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:20 pm

h.harb wrote:That would be about a 2 season serious effort, ask Helluva??????

Two for sure... And the effort would have to be very focused.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby skijim13 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:13 am

I suprised that Eric can't see it when he watches videos of himself. Maybe you need to come to Blue when he is there to show him the difference. Lorie and I have to take PSIA credits this season I sure they will not like the way we ski.
skijim13

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:53 am

skijim13 wrote:I suprised that Eric can't see it when he watches videos of himself. Maybe you need to come to Blue when he is there to show him the difference. Lorie and I have to take PSIA credits this season I sure they will not like the way we ski.

Edit: Eric is a professional skier who is surrounded by other very high level skiers (as I noted earlier in the thread). He certainly has the ability and available information to make changes in his skiing. What he doesn't need is someone showing up and forcing changes to his skiing and setup down his throat. My guess is he (or anyone els3e for that matter) wouldn't be particularly receptive to that.

HeluvaSkier

Postby gaku » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:08 am

h.harb wrote:Eric L. is never going to get there unless he gets his alignment straightened out. Reilly is serious we are corresponding and you can see the Aussies are making progress, where PSIA is not.

Reilly was always great, but I find his later clips are a marvel to watch:

gaku

Postby theorist » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:50 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:I'm really glad to see Eric Lipton in this group with Reilly and Paul. It is a sign that there may be some idea sharing happening and that Eric may be learning from Paul and Reilly, who are really taking the right approach with their skiing. Let's hope there's more to come.

There's also idea sharing between Australia (Reilly/Paul) and Canada (JF) -- they just did an instructional video together:
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/projectkitz (click on "Watch Trailer").
theorist

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:30 pm

theorist wrote:There's also idea sharing between Australia (Reilly/Paul) and Canada (JF) -- they just did an instructional video together:
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/projectkitz (click on "Watch Trailer").

Yes... that collaboration was part of what prompted my comment. There will be more to come in the future, so stay tuned.

HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Comments on Lipton: his boot set up is all wrong, not only his alignment, but his cuffs and his feet. His feet are bricks and show absolutely no articulation. With all due respect, Lipton maybe a professional skier because he gets paid, but he's no professional in my view as far as understanding his sport and the implementation of it. I would be embarrassed to ski the way he does, I sure would not do it in public.

I said this in my first book: Bad alignment with good movements, can make you reasonably acceptable as a skier. Bad alignment and bad movements makes you a disaster. And good alignment with bad movements makes you mediocre at best, so you can decide for yourself which one of these categories Lipton falls into.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Edit: Eric is a professional skier who is surrounded by other very high level skiers (as I noted earlier in the thread). He certainly has the ability and available information to make changes in his skiing. What he doesn't need is someone showing up and forcing changes to his skiing and setup down his throat. My guess is he (or anyone els3e for that matter) wouldn't be particularly receptive to that.

Helluva, your statement above implies that Eric is a high level skier, I disagree, he is not. He would not pass a Blue Level PMTS skiing standard. You are right about one thing. He and his team members are not receptive to any advice. As Jim says appropriately, they think they are gods of skiing.

This statement offers absolutely no solution to his issues. The question was, is he aware of his deficiencies and is he trying to do something about them? Obviously if he is, they aren't working. He maybe surrounded by good skiers, but that alone isn't making his skiing any better.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:04 am

I'm really glad to see Eric Lipton in this group with Reilly and Paul. It is a sign that there may be some idea sharing happening and that Eric may be learning from Paul and Reilly, who are really taking the right approach with their skiing. Let's hope there's more to come.

I can tell you first hand from an inside source, there is no sharing and nothing is happening between these guys! The US Demo Team isn't just not skiing well, it's not a bad day for them, they ski like this every time they are seen on video. They just don't get it and mostly they don't care because their egos are so big they think they are great. Again, as it has been said here on many occasions, "emperors without any clothes". I'm not angry at them, or trying to damage them, they are doing it to themselves, it is what it is, and it is poor technique and it's poor skiing.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:41 am

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com/2015/11/bad-alignment-can-cause-some-unnatural.html

One example from my Blog Post:

This is not a professional skier!!! This is not one selected turn, it's a series of turns, turn after turn, not one FRAME is from the same turn.

Bad Alignment causes unnatural, awkward and downright ugly looking skiing. Where are the Demo Team coaches and where is the expertise? Where is Rogan? He is supposed to be coaching this team and also our US development kids. US Ski Team development is in real trouble.

Here, this skier is on Head boots, these boots are the easiest to set up. If he were in Fischer or the new Atomics, I could understand why he is having so much trouble, but Heads are easy to set up. The Fischer and Atomics are very difficult, it takes some serious understanding of the interaction of cuff adjustments, footbeds and sole alignment to get them right. That is why Shiffrin had so much terrible on the new Atomics, their own racer reps don't get it. Even Hirscher's boots were way off before the last Olympics, fortunately he went back to his old boots in time.
h.harb

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System