Technical comparison of 4 Demo Team skiers

PMTS Forum

Technical comparison of 4 Demo Team skiers

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:12 am

Interesting comparison. The two in the grey are Australian, the red is Austrian and green is USA. Alignment is playing a huge factor here in the way they ski. No two ski alike. The two Australians have the best set up and are skiing with the most consistent turns and most freedom and relaxation. Even the Australians have some differences in their techniques, but are the most efficient of the 4. Congratulations to them. The other two demo skiers are compensating and adjusting for their alignment in almost every turn. The green jacket skier is the farthest from connecting consistent, round, controlled turns.

There is an interesting discussion beginning on my Facebook page about this post.
h.harb

Re: Technical comparison of 4 Demo Team skiers

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:29 am

The difference in techniques are between these skiers are obvious, but are they due to compensations or a technique their national systems are imposing on them? And which ones are working the best? This is very telling of the differences between world cup skiing, PMTS skiing and traditional national systems.
h.harb

Postby Erik » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 am

In the video, it states that the US skier (Lipton) is on 180cm Head "recreational GS" skis, while the others are on 165-170cm "slalom" skis. This skier seems to be the least fluid of the four. Less flexion and more upper body arm action.

Under these conditions, and these turns, are the skis a factor? I just want to throw that out there so we can get rid of that issue. My impression is that the longer radius skis are not helping him in this comparison, but the same differences in technique would still show up on slalom skis.
Erik

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:21 am

All I can say is that if i was on those skis, I would not look like him!
h.harb

Postby Erik » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:00 am

h.harb wrote:All I can say is that if i was on those skis, I would not look like him!

Yes, we would be saying, "Nice slalom turns on those GS skis, Harald!"
Erik

Postby NoCleverName » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 am

Yuk Yuk ...
NoCleverName

Postby skijim13 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:54 am

Sad that top level people in the PSIA still make wedge turn entries, I know Eric from my mountain he is looked as a skiing God. However, looking at the video you can see errors in his skiing with wedge turn entries. These are the same things that they would fail someone in a Level III skiing test. This clearly demonstrates that the mechanics of TSS skiing, makes parallel turn entry difficult for even highly trained demo team members. This is what I love about PMTS it is the only system that has a clear pathway to expert skiing. Sad that so many people are blinded by their ego and being true to their TSS system they can't see the difference, if they would only open their eyes and see it.
skijim13

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:27 pm

Last edited by hyper_squirrel7 on Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyper_squirrel7

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm really glad to see Eric Lipton in this group with Reilly and Paul. It is a sign that there may be some idea sharing happening and that Eric may be learning from Paul and Reilly, who are really taking the right approach with their skiing. Let's hope there's more to come.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Eric L. is never going to get there unless he gets his alignment straightened out. Reilly is serious we are corresponding and you can see the Aussies are making progress, where PSIA is not.
h.harb

Postby mborsik » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:28 am

I'll throw this in here, it's Paul Lorenz, the other aussie guy. He's been already mentioned in a few threads.

Source of the other video is the APSI Vimeo Page, they've got more material there: https://vimeo.com/user18307547/videos
mborsik

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:11 am

I never cease to be amazed at the limitations PSIA has imposed on it's instructors. On my Facebook page, even if you are not into Facebook, there are many good discussion going on there, there is a PSIA instructor making totally ridicules statements about Paul's skiing.. Have a look at that thread, it begins with the video post here, same as on this thread.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:20 am

The PSIA only understands steering and extending, they can't see the concept of tipping to the little toe edge. The PSIA system has blinded them into believing their movements are correct. When the top skiers in the PSIA (demo team skiers) have wedges in their skiing what can you expect from the lower level instructors.
skijim13

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:41 am

Erik wrote:In the video, it states that the US skier (Lipton) is on 180cm Head "recreational GS" skis, while the others are on 165-170cm "slalom" skis. This skier seems to be the least fluid of the four. Less flexion and more upper body arm action.

Under these conditions, and these turns, are the skis a factor? I just want to throw that out there so we can get rid of that issue. My impression is that the longer radius skis are not helping him in this comparison, but the same differences in technique would still show up on slalom skis.

I think it's possible the skis are a bit long for him. His skis are much longer than those of the other guys, and based on my interactions with him he's about 5'7/170 cm ish. Maybe long skis are part of the rocker craze?
hyper_squirrel7

Postby h.harb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:13 pm

Movements and alignment don't change with ski length, or shape, it is easier to change direction with shorter skis yes, but if you use the movements he is using, his skiing will remain the same. If your car's alignments is out of whack, does changing tires improve it? No, it just ruins the new tires.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System