Getting r<=30-35 to turn?

Getting r<=30-35 to turn?

Postby Carl R » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:45 pm

Hi!
For this season I've got some 30 and 35 skis I'm aching to learn to use.
For bunny hill gs I've been using r<=21 but have found them lacking in bigger courses.
Last year I had the opportunity to spend 3 consecutive days in a SG course and learned to wait to turn. It was amazing how much g's the r<=33 (measured 36.1 w physicsmans calc) turned.
However, outside the course I've never bent them that much.
Now I'm wondering how I should approach my new acquaintances. I want them to turn. I'm going to do some racing with them, but my main mission is learning to bend them in an open slope.
I have a nice wallpaper of ligety an inch above snow with gs. Seems like a goal as good as any, right? ;)
I'm all ears for tips.

Thanks!
Carl R

Re: Getting r<=30-35 to turn?

Postby HeluvaSkier » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 pm

If you have to ask... :shock:

Use the Essentials to the max and be patient.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Carl R » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:57 am

Any hints about timing and how fast the movements should be in comparison to sl?

I don't want to just make them arc, I want them to arc tight. I want a smile from ear to ear.

You know it's so weird, some skis I've never been able turn tight outside a course. Having a gate to clear makes a world of difference.
Carl R

Postby Max_501 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:58 am

Do you have any current vid on the 30+ skis? Without that we can only guess.

Here's and old thread that gets into the detail of turn shape for a GS course - Learning how to learn: developing GS technique with HH

and this one on cranking tight turns on GS skis outside the course - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2859
Max_501

Postby Carl R » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:00 am

New skis, no video. :)

Thanks for the links!
Carl R

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 am

Free skiing on 35 meter skis is difficult because you need speed and space. In a GS course it's all there and you have to react. Free skiing you have to create an imaginary race course on the slope. Very crucial is bending the front of the ski, just like traditional old days.
h.harb

Postby Carl R » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:26 pm

So today I had the chance to run my 188 r<30 skis (Atomic Redster D2 FIS 2014). What can I say; they are awesome!

I just straightlined for 3 or 4 seconds and then started my normal turning. Worked out of the box. I couldn't feel the difference of ice and snow on them. Knuckledragging works fine without destroying CB, but I don't have guts to go much deeper. They go fast as ****, and I don't want to ruin my family vacation on the first day. ;)

PMTS rocks! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Carl R on Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl R

Postby Carl R » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 pm

Today I could try the r<35 at cruising speed. (Atomic Redster D2 2015 FIS 190 r<35)
This is the first movie of me skiing them. The movie is a harsh wakeup call. I look passive mid turn and I don't angulate nearly as much as I want to. The icy parts is really nice, but snow makes me nervous. I hope I'll get used to it.
I have a second clip at lower speed where I display some A framing and weighted inner ski. I won't upload it. ;)

Still, the release and LTE tipping feels very good, and I feel than I can get them turning. I think a low transition is very beneficial in order to get the necessary edge angle to turn them.

Please let me know what you think I should improve and how. :)
I'll cry in fetal position, but give me hell. :mrgreen:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/YZvINOaWoqs[/youtube]
Carl R

Postby VAskier » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:02 pm

Embedded for you.
VAskier

Postby Carl R » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Skied my Völkl Speedwall FIS r<30 (2014) today. Very interesting. Much less damped than the Atomics even thou they have marker UVO. I found it strange since I have the 2013 SG model, and they are very calm. They are also less wide underfoot and actually prone to boot out on soft snow.
I think they are more difficult to bend. More easy to skid than the atomics.
In a race course, they are probably great.
Not sure I'll keep them.
Carl R

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:48 pm

Carl R wrote:Please let me know what you think I should improve and how. :)

After watching the video do you think you are bending the skis into an arc tight enough to provide speed control?
Max_501

Postby Carl R » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:16 pm

Max_501 wrote:
Carl R wrote:Please let me know what you think I should improve and how. :)

After watching the video do you think you are bending the skis into an arc tight enough to provide speed control?

No. I don't believe I can. I would need to brush off speed.
Carl R

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:09 am

Get on something with a radius of 12-14M and work on tipping and inside foot management with a strong focus on establishing balance on the outside ski. Once you have that nailed move up to a 24M GS ski and work on the same thing. Keep in mind that it took the best racers in the world a season or two to figure out how to carve a 35 like it was a GS ski.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:34 am

You also have to strengthen everything, especially CB, and stop any leaning or rotating, that will kill you a 35 meter ski.
h.harb

Postby jbotti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:43 am

I have a 23m Women's GS ski (its actually a race room ski and a super ski). I can bend it but it requires me to stay seriously on my game every second and it also requires speeds above 35mph. The ski feels so stable that those speeds don't feel crazy fast but I know I am going 45mph plus on the steeper pitches. The ski comes alive at those speeds but that is the catch. Racers are young, have amazing skills and amazing strength and reflexes of a super athlete in their 20's. I feel comfortable in saying almost no one on this forum has that combo. This makes a pretty strong case for most to stay away from WC GS skis. Accidents at 45mph are never pretty and the damage than can occur to ones body is severe.

As Max noted if you are bending and able to maintain tight slalom arcs on steep terrain (BTW, very very hard to do!) then and not til then should you look at skiing a 23-25m GS ski.

I was nuts ten years ago. As my skiing has improved I understand the risks of high angle carving on steep pitches at very high speeds. I have a separated shoulder (grade 1 not that bad) last November at A Basin to prove it. All it took was one bump which caused my stance ski to slip. Almost held it together but didn't. At 35mph it was the hardest slam my body ever felt and it was all on my shoulder. I was wicked lucky.

There isn't one of us that can arc well that hasn't had something go wrong in an arc.

Makes one appreciate the BPSRT all the more. As Harald has said many times, fool the audience, make them believe that you aren't brushing! And doing this (making them wonder) is just as hard as arcing them without the brush (maybe harder).

Ski safe my friends!!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Next

Return to Racing