Hip dropping, here's one to digest!

PMTS Forum

Hip dropping, here's one to digest!

Postby h.harb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:35 pm

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com

The reason this isn't in the Racing section is because it applies to recreational skiing as much as to racing.
h.harb

Re: Hip dropping, here's one to digest!

Postby MarcS » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:22 am

Another revealing MA that highlights the necessity of having all the essentials and primary movements working together to create balanced and controlled skiing. Thanks Harald.
MarcS

Postby h.harb » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:49 am

At this level of skiing everything is revealed, you can't hide, your movements are completely demonstrated.
h.harb

Postby ComprexX » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:49 am

Your blog is a veritable gold mine of insight and analysis, I learned a lot from this particular post.
In observing different skiers over the years, I've noticed some differences in technique but have'nt always been able to identify exactly what was going on--your articles do a great job of explaining the "hows and whys" in pretty plain english. Thanks for making the effort and sharing your experience.
ComprexX

Postby h.harb » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:16 am

I'm glad the articles help skiers. I have an exercise series coming out this late fall (still filming the dry land) about the hip in skiing. How to learn to be aware of the hip. Ski and dry land exercises to build hip awareness will be included. A real weak area in ski instruction and in awareness. Everyone wants big and strong quads, but if your hips muscles, and torso complimentary muscles aren't firing, a skier will never get that expert skiing feel.
h.harb

Postby DougD » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm looking forward to that.

Lito talked about a "relaxed lower back" as a prerequisite for "Dynamic Anticipation", but that was inadequate (and of course anticipation is not what hip movements in true expert skiing are about). I can't think of anyone else who's addressed the hips in technical skiing literature. You continue to make & share new discoveries, for which I'm grateful.
DougD

Postby MarcS » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:51 pm

I have noticed WC Slalom racers usually have the appearance of a straight stable back in fore/aft and laterally. In relation to Counter Balancing, in PMTS, should the movements produce more of hip to leg angulation (with CA to keep a straight back) instead of hip to upper body/spine crunching (bending the spine).
MarcS

Postby h.harb » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:13 pm

I think when you are referring to hip to leg counter acting, yes, the pelvis can rotate over the leg and the leg, (femur) can rotate in the hip. This also helps to stabilize the upper body, for better C Balance (torso lateral movements). Trying for C Balance without C acting will still collapse the upper body over the front. folding at the waist is what we are trying to avoid.

If you observe skiers, if they fold forward, they have usually lost CA or created some hip rotation with the turn.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:39 pm

MarcS wrote:I have noticed WC Slalom racers usually have the appearance of a straight stable back in fore/aft and laterally. In relation to Counter Balancing, in PMTS, should the movements produce more of hip to leg angulation (with CA to keep a straight back) instead of hip to upper body/spine crunching (bending the spine).

This has been covered in the past on the forum. Search on things like "head" "femur" "spine" for many such posts.

Here's one -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4556&start=15

and here's a great article by HH -

http://harbskisystems.com/blogs/tech-bl ... rbalancing
Max_501

Postby MarcS » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Thank you Harald and Max.
MarcS

Postby MarcS » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:17 pm

Sorry, I was lazy and did not search. My query had already been answered.
MarcS

Postby DougD » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:13 pm

The original quick improvement series post that blog article of Harald's was based on fundamentally changed my skiing last year. The blog article takes it further. Both worth re-reading.
DougD

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System