Halp! Attacked by wedges

PMTS Forum

Re: Halp! Attacked by wedges

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:41 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote: Look at ACBAES2 - the OFR series. Hh even uses a Nerf ball between his ankles...

Just to clarify, this wasn't an instruction to carry out th OFR drill, but to re-visit the chapter to see how much effort & emphasis is required on this 'seemingly' tiny detail/ skill..

Sorry, my poor english...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby RRT » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:51 am

Great videos but likely not applicable for this student.

Max,
You wonder why there is confusion. Your earlier post, seen below, of March 9 describes precisely that which Diana demonstrates in the 3rd video on eliminating the wedge.

"Free foot management" should solve this issue -

Spend some time working on the Super phantom with touch-tilt:

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.

When learning, you can begin with keeping the tip of the free ski on the snow, but the goal is to keep the whole ski lifted throughout the turn which is a true test of your ability to balance on the outside ski.
RRT

Postby Max_501 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:14 am

RRT wrote:You wonder why there is confusion. Your earlier post, seen below, of March 9 describes precisely that which Diana demonstrates in the 3rd video on eliminating the wedge.

That three video progression is for eliminating a BTE dominant wedge which is different than the lack of "free foot management" issue described up above. Yes, the final step of eliminating a BTE driven wedge is the super phantom so it should be no surprise that it is covered as part of the progression (just as developing the phantom is covered in books 1 and 2). My point was that working on the three video wedge progression is not needed IF the description given here is accurate, because the problem is with the new free foot rather the stance foot. If the student has the 3rd video then studying the free foot management demonstrated should be helpful. Also Book 2, Chapter 6 has more info.

skiffie, I'd suggest having someone help you with the pole press drill (from Book 2) to learn how much muscular effort is needed to hold the free foot against the stance foot.
Max_501

Postby DougD » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm

skiffie,

Assuming your description of how you're wedging occurs is accurate, do as Max says.

My partner had the same problem, a wedge caused by inadequate Free Foot management (not by early stemming or dominance of the Stance Foot BTE).

The Pole Press and Super Phantom with touch-tilt drills that Max is recommending were just what he needed. His wedge all but disappeared in a single morning's work, though only focused awareness and effort will make the change permanent.
DougD

Postby skiffie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:13 am

Awesome, thank you all for your replies!!

I do occasionally have a stance foot BTE problem as well (don't we all) that shows up in steep terrain etc. That will take some practice and I imagine the 3 videos will be good for that too so I'll keep them around. But it's great to have the specific exercises for the free foot wedge. :)
skiffie

Postby DougD » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:20 am

Oh no! We have a new acronym... the FFW (Free Foot Wedge). Now where did I put my PMTS glossary? :P
DougD

Postby BigE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for this thread! Great stuff that can be used right away... I too am lazy with the free foot. A whole slew of problems could be avoided....

Cheers!
BigE

Postby Ken » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:36 pm

Skif, when you're making the movements Max describes, don't try to do too much. Keep the terrain easy and do the movements as close to perfect as possible before increasing your speed or slope. When concentrating on movements of the feet, it is OK to temporarily not concentrate on upper body movements unless your old movements cause trouble.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby skiffie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I am back with video! However major caveat: this is not a video of the runs where I had the FFW going on - this was the end of the day, goggles were fogged, legs were exhausted, and I was all over the place. There is definitely some FFW going on, but I think there is also some BTE wedging going on too... either way there is at least one leg that is off to the races on the other side of the world lol. So I wouldn't mind some feedback in general even if it's not entirely representative of the FFW or of the thread... but if you do see the FFW, thoughts on that would be great. Thanks!!

skiffie

Postby DougD » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Thanks for the video. From what I see, Max's diagnosis and presciption (Pole Push drill + Super Phantom with Touch-Tilt) were both spot on. No surprise.

Unless Max or another certified PMTS coach thinks otherwise, I'd say this is your SMIM. Anything else can/should wait until you've got this better controlled.
DougD

Postby h.harb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

The SMIM for this skier, is pulling the free foot with tipping movements toward the stance foot through the arc. This is not PMTS skiing, it's traditional, with no inside foot awareness. This is a typical PSIA teaching result. First, inside foot closing has to be achieved, then LTE balance has to be achieved, after that transfer to the LTE can happen. This is a process and it takes practice and balance to development it. You can't skip this step, it is mandatory.
If the LTE isn't there at the end of the arc, how can you transfer to it, you have to push off ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
h.harb

Postby skiffie » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:09 am

Thanks for the feedback Doug and Harald! First question, what is SMIM? Sorry I can't remember the acronyms lol.

So I'm a little confused about Harald's comment about the LTE not being there at the end of the arc. The LTE is definitely there, because I can pick up my downhill ski (new free foot) and be riding along on the LTE edge of my uphill ski just fine (and looking down confirms this)... unless that was a general comment?

Obviously there is work to be done but I'm definitely doing something different from what I used to do since it feels different from all the steering and slushing around that was going on previously, and I can tell that I'm getting on my edges somewhat (generally... maybe not obvious from the video). I'm also tipping the free foot somewhat because I can look down and see it happen :P - but clearly not nearly enough. Also I wonder if I'm actively rolling the stance foot instead of letting it follow the free foot tipping because I'm not tipping enough, plus I'd definitely been forgetting to pull it back in. I assume both of these would refer to no inside foot awareness.

By the way, one other problem... I had tried something similar to what Max described (Super Phantom with touch-tilt) but physically could not tilt my free foot enough because my legs just didn't want to take on a diamond shape lol. (Maybe this is part of the problem :P) Not sure what to do... more stretching? Tight hip abductors causing the problem?
skiffie

Postby RRT » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:37 am

skiffle,

SMIM = Single most important movement.

But, what is needed beyond that is single most important thinking which includes patience and persistence with a a huge amount of humility thrown in. The movements done properly take time, lots of it and need constant refinement. One needs to have a willingness to work on small steps at slow speeds on easy slopes, read the books again and again, watch the videos again and again, make use a slant board (see below), and if possible, go to camp.

https://www.harbskisystems.com/index.ph ... Itemid=154
RRT

Postby sgarrozzo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:06 am

Hi skiffie,
SMIM = Single most important movement.
It's the FIRST movement you need to progress. You probably think that LTE is there, but is not there. However there is not the right way. You do not think there is a push. But it is there. You do not balance on LTE. So try to balance yourself on the LTE. Then brings the raised foot to touch the other. And tilt. I do not think that you need more stretching. Or that tight hip abductors causing the problem.
If you want a visual indication of movements in a simple, clear and didactic way take a look here:

https://www.harbskisystems.com/index.ph ... Itemid=102
sgarrozzo

Postby Max_501 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 am

skiffie wrote:So I'm a little confused about Harald's comment about the LTE not being there at the end of the arc.

The turns in the video start with a small wedge when the uphill ski is pushed out to the BTE before the downhill ski is released.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System