MA request for sashalex

Re: MA request for sashalex

Postby Kiwi » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:00 pm

When you do it again try to increase the CA at the hip and upper body so when you stop you are fully countered and ready for the next pole plant, with your skis on edge, know where you weight is when you stop. For this drill like any don't let a wrong movement or lack of right movement creep in. In your video you let you body rotate so that you squared up to the ski.

Personally, I like that speed and slope for this drill, slow and deliberate so you can address each movement in the drill separately and build them up in baby steps.

First though confirm the alignment as Max501 suggests you have to get this right before investing time learning
Kiwi

Postby Max_501 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Kiwi wrote:When you do it again try to increase the CA at the hip and upper body so when you stop you are fully countered and ready for the next pole plant, with your skis on edge, know where you weight is when you stop. For this drill like any don't let a wrong movement or lack of right movement creep in. In your video you let you body rotate so that you squared up to the ski.

That is too advanced. Work from the feet up and then add the supporting upper body movements after the lower body movements are working.
Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:43 am

Sashalex,
This is exactly how you should be practicing. One turn at a time. Then reset....look at how much the skis are already performing with just the slightest hint of tipping. Once you gain confidence with tipping and balancing, your upper body positiom will naturally fall into place. It is very important that you relax and DON'T rush as this will stunt your progression as you handicap your body's natural instinct to maintain and achieve balance...

Remember, if you can't relax, you can't balance/ counter balance. If you can't balance, you can't tip.

Keep it up..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Max_501 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:17 am

The one footed release drill is still too advanced until tipping is mastered. So work on tipping, step by step, as shown in Book 1.
Max_501

Postby jbotti » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:42 am

There is a common theme with the MA posts. Non PMTS coaches are trying to help and use their experience as a skier to coach the person asking for MA. Whereas the MA is often correct the answer to the question: what to do to advance is often incorrect. And it is incorrect in the context of the movement patterns that the skier has mastered. Max is trying his hardest to avoid having an intermediate PMTS skier go off for hours working on a OFR or TFR or linked OFRs or TFR's (or any advanced drill) when the skier can't tip to the degree that is necessary to make a solid phantom turn (not to mention all the solid CA and proper fore aft balance required to do a good OFR/TFR).

When doing MA and then telling the skier what they need to do to advance find the SMIM. If its tipping, advanced drills shouldn't be considered. Remember that where you are as a skier or the progression that you took to reach a certain level are both completely irrelevant to the skier you are coaching. All that matters is the movement that he needs to master to advance and the drills that are at the skiers level that will help him master that movement.

All that have been to camps know that pretty much until some good level of tipping is evident in a skier's skiing they hear no other message. We would like to duplicate that experience in the MA forum but we need everyone's help!
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby h.harb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:11 am

Take it to the bank!!!

Skiing fast with a pole plant, will never change or improve anyone's skiing.
h.harb

Postby Kiwi » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:42 am

Good point.
Kiwi

Postby sashalex » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:02 am

After screwing around with my alignment, I think I've reached a point where I can practice the exercises properly.

Unfortunately the slope only allowed me to film one side, but my other side feels roughly the same. In my previous video, you can see how much I was struggling to turn left. I also filmed some 1-legged strait runs so you guys can assess my alignment, but I'm having trouble getting the vids off my phone (usb issue), they should be up today though.
sashalex

Postby sashalex » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Here we go. Sorry for size. Could not figure out how to crop it

sashalex

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:31 pm

Sashalex,
You probably don't want to hear this, but you are not tipping at all....you are just lifting up your inside ski....just before your begin the manoeuvre, you are pushing with your stance leg - left, and forming a slight wedge. At the same time, you are winding up the upper body 'into' the direction of the turn...look at what you are doing with your right arm and shoulder...it's leading the turn - infact it is initaiating the turn...you are turning by rotary inputs, not tipping inputs.

I appreciate that the slope is less than ideal, but tipping is more than just lifting the inside ski..yes it proves that you have transfered balance, which is good. But tipping is the catalyst for the turn. It controls the turn and it causes the chain reaction of all the other minute movements in the rest of your body. If it helps, you can think of these movements as counter-tipping...equal and opposite.
Have you got yourself on a slantboard yet? This will highlight and demonstrate everything to you...make sure you have a mirror...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby sashalex » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:44 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Sashalex,
You probably don't want to hear this, but you are not tipping at all....you are just lifting up your inside ski....just before your begin the manoeuvre, you are pushing with your stance leg - left, and forming a slight wedge. At the same time, you are winding up the upper body 'into' the direction of the turn...look at what you are doing with your right arm and shoulder...it's leading the turn - infact it is initaiating the turn...you are turning by rotary inputs, not tipping inputs.

I appreciate that the slope is less than ideal, but tipping is more than just lifting the inside ski..yes it proves that you have transfered balance, which is good. But tipping is the catalyst for the turn. It controls the turn and it causes the chain reaction of all the other minute movements in the rest of your body. If it helps, you can think of these movements as counter-tipping...equal and opposite.
Have you got yourself on a slantboard yet? This will highlight and demonstrate everything to you...make sure you have a mirror...

Dear go_large, the only thing i want to hear is the truth about my skiing. I'm thankful your analysis; its making me a better skier. I will have a slant board soon, and Ill follow the youtube videos.
sashalex

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:11 pm

It's a frustrating but very rewarding journey. Remember that your skiing is only going to improve. My skiing is definately a work in progress. The diference now is that I am equally happy skiing powder as i am working on my drills. Soon, you will be able to analyse your own footage.

Keep up the good work..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:02 pm

Okay, just found these gems...they moved so i thought i had lost them...

Additional dryland training from Jay Peterson. Perfect for those without a slantboard yet..sashalex, get yourself doing these exercises. They are harder than they look, but will get you moving in the right direction..

https://skiersynergy.com/index.php/vide ... ory_id=115

And

https://skiersynergy.com/index.php/vide ... ory_id=115
go_large_or_go_home

Postby sashalex » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Alright...round 2! This was after doing exercises on my shiny new slant board. I made the realization that the tipping of the stance leg is accomplished through counterbalancing (which was non existent in previous tipping videos). Still a little shaky, but overall balance has much improved on the stance leg. Does this have any resemblance to tipping?

sashalex

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:08 am

I am please to hear that you have built yourself a slant board..it will reveal a lot to you..Tipping CA, CB, although they look and sound simple enough are all using new muscles and they need exercising. At the start, you will be hugely lacking in strength and coordination of these new muscles as you struggle to 'turn off' the dominant bigger ones.. Keep at it...

You are edging ever closer...remember that although Tipping is an ACTIVE movement, it is also PASSIVE. This is a subtle point that tends to get missunderstood or missed...

The free foot leg is ACTIVE. This is the one that you tip, pull back and hold against the stance boot. It controls the entry and overall shape/ size of the turn..The stance foot (leg) is PASSIVE. Once you transfer your balance to it - lifting up the free foot, all you do is JUST STAND on it...that's it. Don't try to turn it, push it - just balance/ ride on it...let the dymanics of the free foot tipping do all the work. Your legs should form an O frame. This is caused by active tipping of the free foot and passive standing on the stance foot. It sounds counter-intuitive not to do anything with the stance foot, but that is the key...this will be a long battle - trying to turn off the BTE dominance of he stance leg..

From the video, you are still pushing off your right leg. The instant that you begin to lift up your free foot, you have already transfered onto the BTE of the stance ski - you have already started to 'lean' into the turn. Your balance is much improved and i suspect that the rapidly impending lump of snow in your path is having some effect. Ideally, you should be on a much flatter and smoother slope....

On a flat surface in just your boots, when you practice the tipping movement - just stand on your stance foot and tip the free foot. Imagine that you are trying to 'touch' or 'glue' the underside of the arch of your free foot to the inside ankle of the stance foot (boot rivet)..take a look at your legs..the stance foot should be flat, whilst the free foot is tipped. Your knees should be apart, forming an O frame. When this is performed on the snow, the dynamics of the movement will cause the skis to turn. The kenetic chain will naturally get you to CB...

See here: look at the legs...

go_large_or_go_home

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video