MA for lorant

Re: MA for lorant

Postby geoffda » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:12 pm

ml511ie wrote:
Max_501 wrote:
I don't see the extension but the flex of the outside leg is there.

Then, please check this edit:
http://youtu.be/PzRLNqt03NE

The extension of the other inside leg is also there.
Definitely, there is no extension of the outside leg, that would break the fluidity of the movement with the blocking BTE pressed into the snow.

Simply put, you don't yet have a sufficient understanding of how skiing works to be able to recognize what you are seeing. There is a common fallacy in the ski industry that it is possible to become a great skier by imitating other great skiers. While there is certainly truth to this, the fallacy lies in the fact that imitation only works when coupled with understanding. Don't try to become a better skier by watching Harald and attempting to "do what he does." Instead, focus on the concepts and movements that he has laid out in his books. If you do that and are successful, not only will you have become a better skier, but you will have developed a level of understanding that will enable you to begin to recognize what Harald is doing in his own skiing. PMTS can only be learned by doing.
geoffda

Postby marsound » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:22 pm

1. Put your boots on and buckle them a notch looser than normal. Have your friend loosen (but not remove) the four cuff adjustment screws.

Do all boots have cuff adjustment screws?
marsound

Postby Kiwi » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:13 pm

You can't look at the translation of the hips across the skis. There are lots of detailed posts on the forum explaining why this is the case. The hips often scrib an arc like the one you are drawing but its not because there is an extension. Look at the knees of the skier relative to each other as a starting point for working out what's going on.
Kiwi

Postby DougD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:37 am

marsound wrote:
Do all boots have cuff adjustment screws?

Some don't. Most are entry level and/or intended for the rental market, where the primary concern of both parties is the lowest possible cost while proper fit and function (at least by PMTS standards) is not understood. For the purposes of this forum, such boots are irrelevant.

P.S. Some boots have only one cuff adjustment screw, typically on the outside. This provides less precise fitting than dual adjustable cuffs and may not be optimizable for some skiers (e.g., knock-kneed, bow-legged or curved tibia). But it works for many and is far better than nothing.
DougD

Postby marsound » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:51 am

Thanks DougD.

My boots (Nordica HR 125 Pro) don't have cuff alignment screws according to the mfg., but they do have 3 screws (2 side, one back) with obvious hex sockets. I wonder if the method you described will work with these boots? (I believe the back screw is removable to lower the flex rating).
marsound

Postby DougD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 am

marsound wrote:Thanks DougD.

My boots (Nordica HR 125 Pro) don't have cuff alignment screws according to the mfg., but they do have 3 screws (2 side, one back) with obvious hex sockets. I wonder if the method you described will work with these boots? (I believe the back screw is removable to lower the flex rating).

Why not check for yourself? Pull the innerboots and look at what those side screws do.
- If the screw connects a hole in one plastic layer with a slot or larger hole in the other plastic layer, loosening it will let the cuff move relative to the lower boot. That's a cuff angle adjustment no matter what anyone says.
- If the screw just connects two holes with no free play for adjustment, it means the manufacturer chose easily assembled screws instead of rivets, probably as a cost-saving measure.

P.S. If you want to ski really badly, try removing that rear screw. If those boots are anything like mine they'll go soft as marshmallows... useless for transmitting foot movements to the skis. :twisted:
DougD

Postby marsound » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:11 pm

[/code]
- If the screw just connects two holes with no free play for adjustment, it means the manufacturer chose easily assembled screws instead of rivets, probably as a cost-saving measure.

Unfortunately, I think this is the case....
marsound

Postby DougD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. For most skiers, lateral cuff angle adjustment is less important than correctly supportive footbeds, effective ramp and forward lean angles and neutral leg alignment (canting). A PMTS qualified fitting addresses all of these. Most fitters don't even know about half of them.

If a PMTS fitter thinks you truly need cuff angle adjustment, a good boot tech could probably modify your cuffs or shells to provide it. That's only worth doing if the boots are generally suitable for your feet, legs and skiing. I'd put this waaaaaaay down on your list of concerns.
DougD

Postby ml511ie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Max_501 thanks for the quote of HH. It does make sense, got it.
go_large_or_go_home I really appreciate your perseverance. :)

Earlier I promised a better quality video. Here is a short run, on a quite gentle piste.
It has been captured today, on the 1st day of a 4 day long ski trip.

http://youtu.be/R4_-VBpQvvQ

Please, criticize it.
ml511ie

Postby arothafel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:36 pm

For ease of viewing the link above ---
arothafel

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:16 am

Hey Lorant, there is some good progress being made. It is obvious that you have been working hard to change your skiing..you are now at a tipping point - excuse the pun, with your movements.

You still have an extension, but this time it is happening as you transfer balance to the inside ski - this is called a 'false phantom'. Be careful that you don't incorporate extension of the old free leg into the motion of lifting and tipping the old stance foot.

A very subtle but important point - flexing of the stance leg at the end of the turn initiates the transfer of balance. At the point where balance is 'being' transferred, both legs must be at equal flex..Once balance has been transferred, this 'old' stance leg must continue to flex as it is tipped to the LTE. At the SAME TIME, the 'new' stance leg must continue flexing as you transition into the new turn. BOTH legs are flexing, but at different rates. One ski is being pulled up off the snow to flex and tip, the other is being 'relaxed' to flex...flexing doesn't stop until you are established on the new turn - the High C.

This will take some time to perfect. It should feel like you FLOW from one set of edges to the other. Relax at the end of your turns - really exaggerate your flexing. You should look like you are skiing down a mogul field, but in slowmo and on smooth terrain..
go_large_or_go_home

Postby ml511ie » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:22 pm

go_large_or_go_home, thanks for the hints.

This was captured today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st3TX6vTTVo

When initiating my left turn, there is still extensions. I don't know why??? :)

(How to embed youtube video?)
ml511ie

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:57 pm

http://youtu.be/st3TX6vTTVo

To imbed a youtube video, copy the info after the '/' from your youtube link above = st3TX6vTTVo...
Then use the youtube button above. Copy the link between the ][ markers= ]st3TX6vTTVo[

go_large_or_go_home

Postby ml511ie » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:50 am

and lastly this is from the last day. Maybe some of the turns are without extension. What do you think?

ml511ie

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video