Technique or alignment problem?

Technique or alignment problem?

Postby mcrt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 am

Hi,i do not have video but maybe you can help me with these pics.
I think my feet are a bit too wide but i'd like to know if this is just a technique problem or if it is fueled by being a bit mis aligned.I think i'm rotating the outside leg at the femur/hip socket to get enough edge angle...would be great if Harald could chime in on this,though i understand he is busy .

-Me: 43 years old.Skiing for (glups) 40 of those.No racing experience,mostly freeriding.Bought the PMTS book and DVD back in the day,along with many other books.Thought PMTS made a lot of sense.
My lower leg curves significantly outside before coming back into the ankle.

-Gear:well used Salomon Course 120 boots.Some sole canting(outside) done by Superfeet,cuff canted fully outside.
This season Salomon Race (carver) 170cm Radius15m skis.

Here are the pics:

PS:On the last pic my skis are closer together laterally but that was a bit softer snow and you can see the inside ski is quite loaded.I do not think i could get away with that in harder stuff.
Thanks for your thoughts!.
mcrt

Re: Technique or alignment problem?

Postby Kiwi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:18 pm

I would get your alignment checked as it looks soft to me. The separation I think is more the result of hanging on to the big toe edge and not cleanly shifting weight. Without a weight shift to the little toe edge free foot management is more difficult.
Kiwi

Postby mcrt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:56 am

Yes,i sometimes hold on to the downhill ski too long...many years stemming off it are hard to erase.I have to drill some PMTS basics this season.
I have found a place in Rotterdam that have a Harb certified technician so i will try to get realigned properly ,maybe that will help with the turn exit too.
Thanks Kiwi.
mcrt

Postby DougD » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:23 am

By all means, have your alignment checked by a PMTS fitter. I've been fitted by a dozen different shops over the years. Not one of them took the care that HHS did, because not one of them had a clue as to how to do it. The results from my HHS alignment adjustment were an immediate skiing improvement and a lasting reduction/elimination of R knee strain that I suffered with for years.

It's hard to be sure without video, but I'd suggest working through the Free Foot pulling-in and Super Phantom Move exercises in ACBAES2. It's impossible to do SPMs consistently with a wide stance, and mastering them will cure you of any BTE fixation.
DougD

Postby mcrt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:08 pm

I will review those SPM's DougD,thanks.
I got "aligned" at Superfeet some years ago but i've always felt that there was something missing...i think my legs are a bit weirdly shaped which complicates matters a bit more.
Plus they used the epoxy-on-top method which i do not really like.It has held pretty well but if it cracks or gets knocked off you are screwed.
The method used by PMTS techs (with the added canted soles) looks bomb proof.
mcrt

Return to Movement Analysis and Video