MA request for skijim13

MA request for skijim13

Postby skijim13 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Got out with video making short radius turns need advise what to focus on before camp
skijim13

Re: MA request for skijim13

Postby CO_Steve » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:44 pm

Single most important movement. Flex to release. Then tip to new edges. Can you see yourself extending at say 0:07?
CO_Steve

Postby skijim13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 am

Thanks Steve for the feedback, I have been working hard to remove the PSIA up movement in my skiing for the last year, hard to do. I always have a problem with it during short turns.
skijim13

Postby CO_Steve » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:42 am

Old habits die hard.
CO_Steve

Postby NoCleverName » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:14 am

Consider starting your run in the "flex to release" position (i.e., start initial motion downhill while flexed). I found this "broke the pattern" for me, more or less. If you start standing up, you are already in the wrong position for the first "tip" of the run. By starting flexed, the sequence of flex-extension-flex (repeat!) at least was in-phase with the turn to begin with.
NoCleverName

Postby DougD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:45 am

Try Phantom Javelin Turns (ACBAES 2). Do them at s-l-o-w speed, even slower than in the video above. If you use that upward extension to release, you'll fail.

If you attempt slow PJT's using an upward extension to release:
- the straightened/locked stance leg and hip break the kinetic chain and won't respond to free ski tipping, therefore
- the stance ski won't change edges, therefore
- you'll just keep traversing (or at most, sideslipping), without turning.
With a straight stance leg, the only way to engage the new edge early would be to dump your hip (or your whole upper body) downhill. Doing that at very slow speed will typically cause you to fall over. For me, that's a useful clue that I'm not doing them right! :oops:

The only way to do PJT's successfully at slow speeds is by flexing to release.

P.S. Completing PJT's all the way through the turn will also help correct your current tendency to fall back onto the inside ski partway through the turn.

P.P.S. See you in two weeks at Killington!
DougD

Postby skijim13 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:48 am

Thanks everyone for all the great tips I will try that movement this afternoon when I ski after work. I find that the quicker the short turn the more likely I extend as the default movement, I need to keep working on this, very hard to break an old PSIA habit that was taught to us. What I love about PMTS is there is always something to work on and I never get bored at the mountain even when there are few runs open.
skijim13

Postby geoffda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Jim,

A good focus for you pre-camp would be to work on establishing balance on the little-toe-edge of the old free ski prior to attempting to release the turn (Super Phantom). Little-toe-edge traverses where you balance entirely on the LTE for at least a moment would be a good place to start. On fairly gentle terrain, you can start by just tapping the tail of the downhill ski as you traverse, then progress to a quick lift, then lift and squeeze in the lifted ski so the inside edge touches the ankle of the uphill boot. Finally, once you have lifted and sqeezed the old stance foot in, you can tip it. Once the skis begin moving down the hill, tip them back up the hill so you can practice repeating the LTE transfer and release in a garland. Once you are comfortable doing this in a gentle traverse (and don't forget to look up the hill as you are doing these) you can make the garlands steeper by allowing the tips of the skis to drop more into the fall line after release. Once you have built your garlands to the point where you are turning to the fall line, you can try a single full turn in both directions. Start each of these from a gentle traverse so you establish LTE balance on the old free foot before allowing it to roll over to become the new stance foot. When you are successful with individual turns in both direction, you can start linking turns.

When you look at this skiing, the extension is an issue, but you also have to look at why it is happening. In this case, although there is not a release, the problem is actually with the transfer of balance. The slight seperation of the skis you see at transition is occuring because you are flattening the old free foot first (moving to BTE) and then using the still edged old stance ski as a platform to shift onto it. As you flatten it, and push off the old stance ski, it slides out. One-footed balance over the new stance ski is never fully established though and the ski doesn't perform. Whether it is due to snow conditions or the need to "get the ski around" many of these turns end in a heel push/slide. This means you have no energy to relase to help start the next turn which makes balance and ski performance even more difficult to obtain. It is a vicious cycle that is tough to break, which is why it is important to make your first turn a good one and stop and reset if things start going bad.

Developing a solid Super Phantom transition will absolutely eliminate the stem transition and will give you the kind of one footed balance you need for quality skiing. Whatever progress you can make towards this over the next week will put you in good stead in camp. If you don't have a good Super Phantom when you arrive, I'm pretty certain you'll spend some time developing one :).
Last edited by geoffda on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geoffda

Postby DougD » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:29 am

Geoffda's MA and guidance are better than mine (duh). Follow his advice to build a solid Super Phantom before attempting Phantom Javelins, which is a more advanced exercise.
DougD

Postby Max_501 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:01 am

DougD wrote:Try Phantom Javelin Turns (ACBAES 2).

That would be a huge jump! Instead take little steps just as they are presented in the books.

Jeff's post is right on the money. Basically back to Book 1 (or the Instructors manual) and work on building a solid Super Phantom.

BTW this is some of the best quality MA footage we've seen on here. If you want to take it up notch here are my tips on shooting video for MA:

Taking video for MA:

Stand about half way down the run. This depends on length of run and amount of terrain you can see. Generally I try to split the visible filming distance so I can get an equal number of turns from the front and back. Video at least 5 turns of the front, as the skier approaches, and then at least 5 turns from back, as the subject skis away. Pan smoothly as the subject passes keeping the skier in frame so we can see a side view. Use the zoom and OIS features if your camera has them. I suggest a max of 10x zoom which will help with image stability.
Max_501

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:56 pm

remove the PSIA up movement in my skiing
Think of pulling your knees up toward your chin at the right time. Do an abbreviated, appropriate movement similar to Max's avatar.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby skijim13 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks for the great advice, I went out last night and worked on the Super phantom in crude conditions. Did anyone notice from the video if I have an alignment issue? The LTE balance was harder on my right foot then my left one. I can do the banana turn on both legs but it works better on my left as well. I been aligned twice once at the boot doctor and during the Pro jam they saw a problem and fixed them again. I know before alignment I was bow legged and 2 degrees off on my right and 1 degree off on my left. Not sure if anyone of them did it right. I intend on getting them done off over again (most likely with new boots) at the shop on our way to camp.
skijim13

Postby Erik » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:52 pm

New boots would very likely result in new canting for each foot - even if both sets were from a PMTS-trained bootfitter.

If you have your bootfitting before camp, they will measure you, and probably tape on temporary shims on your old boots or new boots based on the shop measurements. HSS won't try to push you into new boots if it won't improve your skiing. Going in to the fitting with an open mind about your boots is a good idea. You would receive a card to give to your coach on Monday that says what they taped on. The coach will watch you, and may make some on-snow adjustments, and get video for further analysis. In some cases, boots are not finished until later in the week when the 2nd coach also gets a look at you.

One more thought on the extension: also try the double pole drag. Have somebody watch you or video you to make sure you are really keeping both poles on the ground. It is an excellent drill to help keep you flexed, but you must make sure you are not losing contact with the snow. Don't let the baskets drag back behind you. For some people who are wild with their arms, it can quiet them down, but you don't have that problem. You can start with the arm position you have now, and just lower the baskets to the snow, and keep pressing forward.
Erik

Postby skijim13 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Erik thanks for the great feedback. Learning PMTS shows me how little I knew about skiing, so much better than PSIA clinics wr they never tell what you really need to work on. People on this forum are very helpful.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:55 am

General comment regarding MA. When providing feedback look for and propose solutions for the SMIM. Geoffda covered this very well in his post.
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video