PMTS Pre-Season Stoke

PMTS Forum

PMTS Pre-Season Stoke

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:48 pm

I thought I'd post this up for some pre-season stoke to get everyone in the mood for skiing again! This is a a few of my runs that were filmed last season. I tried to give a better mix of terrain and turns this year. Instead of discussing the merits of non-PMTS skiing, better prep for the coming season may be to discuss some PMTS skiing... so I'll throw mine into the pot for discussion. There is significant room for improvement in a few areas, but something that is important to remember... I ski roughly 30 days per season. I'm not a professional skier. I'm a weekend skier. Dedicated PMTS training can take your skiing to very high levels with limited snow time.

Cheers!
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Re: PMTS Pre-Season Stoke

Postby h.harb » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Nice, I like the guy later in the video better in the Green and Black, he has less pivoting. He also tips before he turns, big improvements.
h.harb

Postby Max_501 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:03 am

Alright...HH has opened up the door for an MA of this skiing. What do you guys see that could be improved?
Max_501

Postby Lester » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:12 pm

This is very hard to MA such a great skiing, it is always a pleasure to watch Heluva's skiing.( I would take his as mine, with his mistakes)

OK, let me try to MA

-more CA and start CA sooner in the turn

-more CB

-involve inside hip more in CB and CA (that would improve CA and CB)

Let me know how far away I am from the truth
Lester

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Keep going guys stick your necks out, it's good for you, there are some definite things to refine here, but this is strong skiing. What are they, Lester has already given some good ideas.
Now can we be even more focused and specific? That means narrow it done and support your statements with how it influences his skiing. No generalities, or PSIA flimflam type MA, get to the point. It's great practice.
h.harb

Postby Hobbit » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:16 pm

I think it's pelvis & CB coordination as was discussed here
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby blackthorn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:45 am

for the black and green shots, maybe the CA could be a bit more progressive towards the end of the turn, this would put even more power into the release ???? :?:
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:49 am

blackthorn wrote:for the black and green shots, maybe the CA could be a bit more progressive towards the end of the turn, this would put even more power into the release ???? :?:

What makes you say it should be MORE progressive? What are you seeing at the the bottom of the arc?
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:33 am

My only comments, possibly too hunched with the upper body, shoulders in transition. But that maybe a fore/aft need due to boot heel height. And the only other thing is the outside arm from the middle to the bottom of the arc, more opened to give a slight more power to the CA hold for the bottom phase of the arc.
Legs and movement techniques are excellent. I'll try to get some clips to demonstrate what I mean and post them.

http://harbskisysems.blogspot.com
The most obvious difference to me is the outside arm, which effects the counter-acting, counter-balance slightly, and the angular momentum of the body. In the end, I think it affects the amount of adjustment you have to make at transition. If some don't see it, look at where the bottom of the ski pole is (the pointed end) in the different frames on the outside arm.
ImageImage
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:35 am

Good strong skiing - has certainly got my juices flowing.....

FWIW - I agree that it looks a little too hunched and compressed, especially when you compare it to HH. When I had my fore/ aft alignment adjusted last year on camp, my overall posture changed markedly...I was able to stand taller...Interestingly, even though I was using the same amount of movement, because I was no longer in a permanent flexed position, my apparent range of movement reduced....therefore it looked like it was skiing more effortlessly...I appreciate that this skiing hard and fast, but my point is that it looks hard and fast...

I also think that the stance width to too wide. The legs are parallel and tipping is good, so this might be an adductor strength issue..trying to squeeze the arch of your free foot to the inside ankle rivet of your stance boot will create the desired effect AND build up your adductor strength.

Minor tweaks really to your great skiing will = awesome skiing...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby blackthorn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:29 am

In my MA I was looking at the rotation of the arms and shoulders through the later part of the turn, and interpreting this as resulting of holding a somewhat fixed rather than progressive CA. My understanding has been that counter can come from the hips joints, and vertebral rotation, and I felt maybe there needed to be a bit more of the latter as the turn progressed.
So, then I was thinking that if this was increased a bit this would allow for more energy in the release, and a stronger entry into the new turn.
Shoulder positions will affect things a bit as the shoulder girdle can move forwards and/or rotate inwards, as well as move up and down (not much backwards due to the collar bone).
Harald mentioned the outside arm from the middle to the bottom of the arc.
So I guess I was misinterpreting shoulder and upper body position, as being a problem in aspects of CA.
I'm still a beginner in all of this, but we were all invited to comment. I going to just watch MA for a while.
blackthorn

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 am

First I need to clarify something. There isn't much, "wrong", going on here, so let's be clear about that, this is high end skiing!!!! Most people would die to be able to ski like this. However, since this is PMTS, let's investigate based on perfection. No, you are right, my comments about the outside arm are where the changes can affect the turn. What I'm pointing out is what can reverse or slow down the shoulder and arm rotation you saw. So you are not off the mark, you just didn't add the fix.
h.harb

Postby blackthorn » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:35 pm

Actually I was just about to edit my post when Harald's post came up.

What my edit was going to say was that I don't think any increased vertebral rotation will allow much more energy to be taken out of the end of the turn, except that it would allow for a bit more counterbalance if it is needed. Only CA at the hips will alter edge angles and allow for tightening of turn radius if that is what is wanted ie the skier wants to have even more power in the skiing. And anyway my analysis of the problem was wrong.
But as an aging swiveller undergoing conversion I have a question, is vertebral rotation actually used much, as I wonder if it would generally be a somewhat weaker position for the core ie should the transverse pelvic angle and the transverse sternal angle generally stay in the same plane. Watching shoulders and upper torso under heavy ski jackets as opposed to race suits can be difficult.
I only wish I could ski as well as the skier in the video.
blackthorn

Postby Max_501 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:50 pm

blackthorn wrote:... ie should the transverse pelvic angle and the transverse sternal angle generally stay in the same plane.

Yes, that is the ideal relationship. But difficult to achieve unless all CA is created by moving the pelvis. Many past discussions about CA/CB being driven by the pelvis because many skiers don't include the pelvis nearly enough.
Max_501

Postby h.harb » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:56 pm

If you go to my Blog and study the photos of the 13 year olds, you will see some spinal curve to add Counter-balance. This is often necessary if hip flexibly is missing. It is not the preferred use of the spine, but sometimes in lieu of the hip engagement ability, some skiers resort to lateral spinal curving to achieve more Counter-balance. Ted Ligety, has very limited lateral hip movement, lacks range of movement there. Therefore he has problems with slalom, in slalom you need hip flexibility to be able to change sides quickly and engage the mid body. He creates his angles through inclination and holds an edge with his ankles/feet. He has amazingly strong feet and ankles. That is why it is not recommended to try to copy Ted's skiing. Hirscher is a much better skier than Ted, (technically) but Ted has made up for his limitations by showing amazing strength and ability with other strengths.
h.harb

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System