Counteracting Movement

PMTS Forum

Counteracting Movement

Postby skijim13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:42 am

My question is about when to release your counteracting in your turn. My wife and I have been using the angry mother training and we and we are somewhat confused when we should release our counter it seems that you need to hold it longer then we though you should. Should we release our counter and face our skis when both skis are flat or hold it longer and wait until we start tipping onto the LTE. Watching the essentials video it shows that when your skis are released and flat you should have no counter and then as you engage your outside ski you should start move into counter.
skijim13

Re: Counteracting Movement

Postby Matt » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:25 am

skijim13 wrote:My question is about when to release your counteracting in your turn. My wife and I have been using the angry mother training and we and we are somewhat confused when we should release our counter it seems that you need to hold it longer then we though you should. Should we release our counter and face our skis when both skis are flat or hold it longer and wait until we start tipping onto the LTE. Watching the essentials video it shows that when your skis are released and flat you should have no counter and then as you engage your outside ski you should start move into counter.

Do you have the video? Diana covers it pretty well starting at 3:45
Matt

Postby HighAngles » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:25 am

Hold the counteraction through the release.
HighAngles

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 am

See here:
http://harbskisysems.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/what-does-hold-your-counter-really-mean.html

I must admit, this has been what I have been striving for..holding CA until on your new edges.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:20 am

There has been a minor update since Essentials was released. Hold your counter through the transition and until the skis are on the new edges. No additional counter (in either direction) should be added when the skis are flat, just hold whatever you have at that point. If you attempt to change counter while the skis are going through flat they may begin to skid. Begin countering in the new direction as soon as the skis are tippped to the new edges.
Max_501

Postby rwd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:24 am

Diana made it very clear at BG camp that we should hold counter until the new edges are ENGAGED. If you start releasing counter while the skis are flat in transition, rotation of the skis can result. I like to think of it as building counter after the new edges are engaged and holding counter through transition, until engaged, then build counter(along with increased tipping), etc. Incorporating this into my skiing has made a huge difference, especially with my transitions.
rwd

Postby Max_501 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 am

rwd wrote:Diana made it very clear at BG camp that we should hold counter until the new edges are ENGAGED. If you start releasing counter while the skis are flat in transition, rotation of the skis can result. I like to think of it as building counter after the new edges are engaged and holding counter through transition, until engaged, then build counter(along with increased tipping), etc. Incorporating this into my skiing has made a huge difference, especially with my transitions.

This is a great summary of what we do with counter-acting. Well done!
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks for the new information I will tell my wife she was right about holding the counter until your new edges are engaged, I was still using the information from the essentials video, its great to have a partner to work on PMTS together to talk about these things.
skijim13

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System