Two Words: Angry Mother!!

PMTS Forum

Two Words: Angry Mother!!

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I have been doing this drill first thing each day the past few days for at least two full runs. Then I re-unite with poles and do brushed SRTs on groomed terrain maintaining the same sensation of hip CA (for several runs). Then head off piste to create that same sensation of CA. Have also been doing Angry Mother off piste (not easy but very rewarding). I have been skiing with Max and Heluva the past 4-5 days. Major breakthrough for me with CA. I don't think there is a better drill for CA. I would say, there is really nothing else close if it's done properly.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: Two Words: Angry Mother!!

Postby Icanski » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi John,
I've been looking for the definition of the "angry mother" exercise with a search. I've found people talking about using it, but didn't find it defined. did I miss something in the videos?
thanks. :)
Icanski

Postby Hobbit » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Let me guess...

Ready for action - Under aggressive mood, hands are rested automatically on hips to bluff the overall body size in appearance. Resting either hand on hip is sign of insularity or even frustration.

So leave the poles at the top and keep the arms at the hips ...
Hobbit
Site Admin

Postby jbotti » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:24 pm

There is a great video that walks through how to do the angry mother drill. I believe it's on the HSS site. I was not doing this drill to its fullest until working with Diana at bumps camp. Done correctly the drill is a game changer.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby BigE » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:01 am

Can someone describe the movements please?
BigE

Postby deicreo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:09 am

Big E

how much, do you think is any information from HSS worth ?
deicreo

Postby ToddW » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:44 am

deicreo wrote:Big E

how much, do you think is any information from HSS worth ?

+1 Like! Two thumbs up!

$5 isn't a lot for this kind of info. That's less than 1% of the price of a private lesson.
ToddW

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 am

Here's what this looks like (one of my attempts from Moguls camp):

HighAngles

Postby deicreo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:39 am

ToddW, thanks for the thumbs up.
It looks like a possible game changer for many skiers. Works perfect for you HA.
deicreo

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:58 am

You can download the whole exercise for $5. from our web site.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 am

The only thing is, it's still a different movement from the addition of a pole tap, both have to work together. Pole tap is coming up on our web site as a progression with a download as well. We have already filmed it.
h.harb

Postby h.harb » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am

It's actually 4 words, Angry Mother and Pole Tap. "Pole tap without undoing the Angry Mother. 6 words.
h.harb

Postby Bolter » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:13 am

I am on my out to do a line up. One of the full time instructors is currently working on CA. I bought the video ($5 well spent). He is about to watch the video. After I run line up, he and I are going out to ski it. I have my pocket notes from the video ready.

"It is OK to steal . . . as long as you steal from the best"
Bolter

Postby HighAngles » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:36 am

As Harald kind of said, the angry mother drill is in actuality an entire progression of drills that start by introducing the correct movements of the angry mother and then move on to how to reintroduce your poles (and the pole plant) without undoing all of the good things that the angry mother drill develops in your CA movement. It's funny how your poles will almost instantly bring back all of your bad habits even when you were just doing the angry mother right before getting them back (we all saw this in camp).

What I also got out of the angry mother when taken off-piste (especially bumps) is how much this drill will stress your balancing abilities and improve your overall skiing; angry mother in the bumps isn't only useful for developing your CA movement. Your poles can act like kind of a "crutch" for your bump skiing; take them away and all you're left with is your footwork and corresponding upper body movements to keep yourself in balance. While doing these drills I felt like I was falling apart. Upon review of my video I came to the realization that I was actually skiing the bumps in better control and balance than I was with my poles. The challenge is bringing the poles back into your bump skiing without them becoming a crutch again. That's where getting the full HSS video of the entire drill progression should be of great value to all PMTS practitioners.
HighAngles

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System