MA for Bingster

Re: MA for Bingster

Postby Bingster » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:30 pm

I have been busy practicing other things I learned from PMTS camp in the past several weeks. And during this time, the snow condition was too icy for me to try that drill of Super Phantom With Touch Tilt.

Today, we got unusual good snow condition in our green slope here. I believe the snow condition was as good as A-Basin this time. So I tried the drill of Super Phantom With Touch Tilt again. I attached my YouTube video. Hopefully, I can graduate this drill this time because I feel more comfortable with my inside ski on the snow :)

Here is the URL if you want to display this video directly on your browser.
http://youtu.be/IZnOFFlg5Cs

Thanks for any comments.
Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 am

Bingster wrote:Today, we got unusual good snow condition in our green slope here. I believe the snow condition was as good as A-Basin this time. So I tried the drill of Super Phantom With Touch Tilt again. I attached my YouTube video. Hopefully, I can graduate this drill this time because I feel more comfortable with my inside ski on the snow :)

Your video shows an improvement on inside foot management. But I must caution you about relying too much on the inside ski when you place it back on the snow. Keep most of your weight off of that ski so you learn solid balancing over the outside ski.

Next step work on CB/CA drills.
Max_501

Postby Bingster » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Snow condition is good today. So I got some videos for my CA and CB drills. Here is a drill I learned from the camp.

Here is the drill on green trail. I am the one with blue jacket and red pant.

URL: http://youtu.be/QRkLKcV01v8

Here is the drill on blue trail. I am the one with blue jacket and red pant. From the video it looks alright. But at the time I was working on this drill, I felt it's hard to control the speed. I had to make long radius turns to control the speed. Can anybody tell me how to control the speed when working on this drill?

URL: http://youtu.be/vjM85uG-rrw

Another drill I learned in the camp is pole dragging. But somehow, that drill makes me put weight on my inside leg. So I don't like to use it.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Bingster

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:43 pm

Hey Bing,
There is definitely improvement from our camp...The only point that I can make is that there seems to be a difference in the amount of CB & CA between your turns - left turn being weaker. Having just identified a similar issue with myself, it might be worth exploring the range of movement within your hips/ pelvis, especially as your day job involves sitting at a desk - classic for hip issues.

If you stand up, feet parallel - roughly in a skiing position, place your hands on your hips - elbows out to the sides...like Angry Mother. Slowly rotate your torso to the right, then the left and note any difference in range of motion/ rotation. I have a reduction in my movement to the right, which manifests itself in a reduction to my ability to CA/ CB during left turns. I have identified a restriction to my internal rotation of my right hip and external rotation of my left. After some targeted stretching, balance is restored - but it will take considerable time and stretching before this becomes natural (old and not so supple any more)..

The stronger your CA & CB, the better the grip = more confidence to commit to the outside ski = more grip = more confidence to commit to the outside ski etc etc etc...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby polecat » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Bingster,

To me it looks like you're leaning in quite a lot, which is connected to putting too much weight on the inside foot.

In the hip touch exercise, compare how you look in the frames on the last two vids with Harald in the hip touch turns (Essentials, Fig. 4-12, pg. 136, and the Essentials Upper Body DVD).

It appears as if Harald is pressing his hip down while holding his inside arm up. Imagine "he's a little teapot," there's no tea pouring out.

Go back top your vids. In many of your turns your "tea is pouring." Even with your hand on your hip your shoulder is up and you drop your inside arm, tending to straighten your body and lean rather than hold counterbalance.

Have you tried the Hip-O-Meter?

pc
polecat

Postby Bingster » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 am

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Hey Bing,
There is definitely improvement from our camp...The only point that I can make is that there seems to be a difference in the amount of CB & CA between your turns - left turn being weaker.

Thanks Gavin. I made some improvements on my right side turn. But it's still not enough. I have been struggling on it for some time now. Your suggestion is good. I will do some dry land stretches.
Bingster

Postby Bingster » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:33 am

polecat wrote:Bingster,
To me it looks like you're leaning in quite a lot, which is connected to putting too much weight on the inside foot.
Have you tried the Hip-O-Meter?

pc

Thanks polecat.

In the drill, I tried not to put my weight on inside foot. I think I need to lift my inside foot a little to make it completely no weight on.

I checked the pictures in the book you mentioned. You are right. I only tried hard to make angles at my hip. I didn't pay attention to CB enough. And I need to raise my inside arm.

I tried Hip-O-Meter several times before. But for me, this current "teapot" drill is better. I will move on to other drills after I can do this drill good.
Bingster

Postby polecat » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:51 am

Bingster wrote:.... I think I need to lift my inside foot a little to make it completely no weight on....

Yes! That guarantees you're not weighting it.

When you lift, be sure to lift the tail higher and tip, tip, TIP.

If you lift the shovel higher than the tail you put yourself in the backseat.

Bingster wrote:... I only tried hard to make angles at my hip. I didn't pay attention to CB enough. And I need to raise my inside arm.

I tried Hip-O-Meter several times before. But for me, this current "teapot" drill is better. I will move on to other drills after I can do this drill good.

If you're comfortable with the hip touch drill, I'd suggest the boot touch drill next. It's similar but emphasizes CB much more. You can work your way down from your hip to your knee to your boot as you improve.

And yes, definitely work on keeping that inside arm up!

pc
polecat

Postby Bingster » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:31 pm

In the following video, I was trying to solve my problem of weaker left turns compared with my right turns. I think I am getting better. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx30-bQ8sXU
Bingster

Previous

Return to Movement Analysis and Video