CA Secret Weapon

PMTS Forum

CA Secret Weapon

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:36 am

This probably belongs in the fitness section but I wanted more people to see it. Max has been doing this for several years and I just started it myelf a few months ago. If you want to increase your ROM for hip CA, get an infinity 8 board. There is a very simple exercise that you can do standing with both feet on one of the discs that rotate. On this board you can work your hip CA to it's maximum ROM. I do it for 2-3 minutes several times per day. My ROM for hip CA has increased substantially (maybe 20% or more) and this translates big time in skiing.

This exercise is easy, painless and really only takes a modest comittment to get on the board a few times a day for 120 seconds each time, and the results from this for both Max and me have been substantial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiPC_DyTGhE
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Re: CA Secret Weapon

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:07 am

Like a pivot slip. :wink:
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am

jbotti wrote: There is a very simple exercise that you can do standing with both feet on one of the discs that rotate.

I don't get it, how can you rotate the femurs in the hip socket if you are standing with both feet on the same disc?
Matt

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:54 am

Matt wrote:
jbotti wrote: There is a very simple exercise that you can do standing with both feet on one of the discs that rotate.

I don't get it, how can you rotate the femurs in the hip socket if you are standing with both feet on the same disc?

Rotate your feet so that if they were on skis they (the skis) would be perpendicular to the fall line. Hips stay connected to the upper body and continue to face down the imaginary hill or fall line. As Heluva pointed out it is almost like doing pivot slips but the goal is to produce maximum ROM with your hip counter on every rotation. It's really a stretching exercise which increases ROM.
jbotti

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

jbotti wrote:
Matt wrote:

Rotate your feet so that if they were on skis they (the skis) would be perpendicular to the fall line. Hips stay connected to the upper body and continue to face down the imaginary hill or fall line. As Heluva pointed out it is almost like doing pivot slips but the goal is to produce maximum ROM with your hip counter on every rotation. It's really a stretching exercise which increases ROM.

Ok, but don't you need to have one foot on each of the discs then?
Matt

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:46 pm

You could but then you would have a very wide stance, much wider than what we do in PMTS.
jbotti

Postby suxsusy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Should it work even a proprioceptive round board with an half sphere under?
What's ROM please?
cheers
Susy
suxsusy

Postby jbotti » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:06 pm

suxsusy wrote:Should it work even a proprioceptive round board with an half sphere under?
What's ROM please?
cheers
Susy

Don't know what the board you are talking about looks like and or does, so I don't know if it will do the same thing.

ROM = Range of Motion
jbotti

Postby HeluvaSkier » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:40 pm

suxsusy wrote:Should it work even a proprioceptive round board with an half sphere under?

No, this will not work as this kind of balance board does not allow for rotation in most cases unless the half sphere is rigid. The board you describe would enhance counter balancing movements similar to a tipping board. What John is describing allows the legs to act independently from the upper body/pelvis in the transverse body plane.

HeluvaSkier

Postby Matt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:23 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:

No, this will not work as this kind of balance board does not allow for rotation in most cases unless the half sphere is rigid. The board you describe would enhance counter balancing movements similar to a tipping board. What John is describing allows the legs to act independently from the upper body/pelvis in the transverse body plane.

I have a rigid balance board like that and it works. It actually worked a lot better than I thought, I could do inside foot tipping and pullback at the same time. Of course the foot doesn't move but the muscle memory gets some training.
Matt

Postby suxsusy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:21 am

http://www.decathlon.fr/bl-770-id_8059003.html

The board i say is this one. I think i can try to go on and "twist" maybe with ski poles too.

Bye bye
Susy
suxsusy

Postby HeluvaSkier » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:18 am

suxsusy wrote:http://www.decathlon.fr/bl-770-id_8059003.html

The board i say is this one. I think i can try to go on and "twist" maybe with ski poles too.

If the part that is in contact with the floor "grips" the floor this could be dangerous for your lower back and hip flexors. If it moves freely you may get similar results. the nice part about what John suggested is the device moves easily, so it becomes a stretching exercise as opposed to the strengthening exercise which would actually decrease RoM.

HeluvaSkier

Postby suxsusy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 am

HeluvaSkier wrote:
suxsusy wrote:http://www.decathlon.fr/bl-770-id_8059003.html

If the part that is in contact with the floor "grips" the floor this could be dangerous for your lower back and hip flexors. If it moves freely you may get similar results. the nice part about what John suggested is the device moves easily, so it becomes a stretching exercise as opposed to the strengthening exercise which would actually decrease RoM.

The part in contact with floor is very very small and round, so the device moves very easily. The only difference is that this device moves in every direction and not only rotatory.
suxsusy

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:12 pm

What's a good way to practice ca on snow when you don't have the belt loops to make the hipometer? I tried tying fabric to make bigger belt looks but that just makes my pants come undone (and gives me no room to tie an actual belt)
hyper_squirrel7

Postby MonsterMan » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:46 pm

What's a good way to practice ca on snow when you don't have the belt loops to make the hipometer?

By belt hoops, do you mean pole/stock straps?

Maybe try large rubber bands?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Next

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System