video of me skiing

video of me skiing

Postby fsdasd@gmail.com » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have been skiing a long time but am stuck on the intermediate level of skiing. I have read the Harold Harb Essentials of Skiing many times and have done some of the suggested exercises. I feel I have improved a bit but I still fall apart on moguls and steeps. I had my friend take this video of me. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B53XFU- ... otRnM/edit
Thanks for any suggestion on how to improve.
Fred
fsdasd@gmail.com

Re: video of me skiing

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm

Video was locked for me, you might need to change the settings on google drive.

Geoff
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby fsdasd@gmail.com » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi,
I think I made video public.
Fred
fsdasd@gmail.com

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:01 pm

I would suggest starting with Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 1 and working through each of the chapters.
Max_501

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:51 pm

Nice camerawork!

Do what Max501 says.

If you look closely at your video, you will note that your legs are extending through transition. This makes it difficult to tip the skis. You will also note the tails are displacing more than the tips, ie skidding.

I'm sure you feel that your skiing has improved fantastically with 'your' implementation of the essentials. Even getting an essential 10% correct is so much better than the movements that most people do when skiing.

The reality however is different to your perception. We've all been there. Video doesn't lie. The trick is changing our perception to match this reality.

If you pass the checklists one by one in the order presented in the book, your mind will learn what the correct movements "feel" like. There are no short cuts, however you look like a confident tidy skier with good balance and there is no reason you can't work through this quite quickly.

I hope you choose to take Max501's advice and post some nice pmts turns very soon.

Geoff
Last edited by MonsterMan on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby fsdasd@gmail.com » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks for watching the video of me skiing and your comments. I thought I was doing it correctly, but the video shows otherwise. I agree that I am partially extended in transition and skid through the turns. I will buy the other Harlold Harb book and work on the exercises in it. I took a lesson at my local slope in southern Pennsylvania and they told me my major problem was not keeping my weight forward enough through the turns. Working on that did not seem to improve my skiing on difficult terrain very much.
As a related question is there any instructors in the mid Atlantic region who teach the Harb method?
fsdasd@gmail.com

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:24 pm

Getting the weight forward is tough. Look at the places where your feet are in front of your hips (almost always). Getting your feet behind your hips is much easier than getting your weight forward. The PMTS books have sections on pulling both feet back when starting a turn and pulling the inside foot back all the time. Find those sections and practice until that is automatic. To me, the feeling of being correctly balanced is when I'm on the balls of my feet (usually only on the ball of the foot on the outside of the turn) and hinged forward at the ankles. My shins are against the boot tongues. Others have different sensations when correctly balanced. The books have great drills to get the fore & aft balance correct.

Look at the Green/Blue camp report by dtrick to get an idea how the ski drills progress.
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Ken wrote:The PMTS books have sections on pulling both feet back when starting a turn and pulling the inside foot back all the time. Find those sections and practice until that is automatic

There are other fundamentals that need to be in place first.
Max_501

Postby geoffda » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:12 pm

Max_501 hit the nail on the head. Start with Book 1 and develop a release. Right now, you are not releasing your skis. You can't because your first movement is tip the new stance ski to big-toe-edge. That is why you have to extend. Starting the turn with big-toe edge tipping does not move your center of mass into the new turn, so you have to help that process by extending. Extending prevents tipping and makes establishing balance on the stance ski very difficult.

If you want to improve your skiing and begin skiing with PMTS movements, you must reverse this pattern. The first movement into the new turn needs to be tipping the new free foot to little-toe-edge. The action of tipping your inside foot will activate the kinetic chain and naturally start to move you into the new turn (provided you have a narrow enough stance). If learn to combine tipping with flexion and foot pullback, you will be well on your way. Book 1 will help you develop those movements if you do the drills. Quality skiing is developed from the feet up.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 am

Both Max and Geoffda have it right, first you need the Phantom Move book 1. Then the pole drag and pole positioning, without a pole plant, this is book 2 and in Essentials. Unfortunately getting the whole picture isn't immediate, on over night thing, but you will be making expert movements getting there.
h.harb

Postby Smackboy1 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:57 am

fsdasd@gmail.com wrote:As a related question is there any instructors in the mid Atlantic region who teach the Harb method?

Unfortunately not. There are no PMTS certified instructors currently teaching in the NE. However there are a number of PMTS skiers who occasionally meet up and ski together. e.g. there is a NE PMTS Meetup in March at Sugarloaf.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4327

Having a PMTS knowledgeable skier externally verify your movements in real time is extremely valuable. I've been exactly where you are. I read the books and watched the video and I felt I was doing the drills correctly. But the reality was that I wasn't tipping. Your internal feelings will deceive you. You need external cues, either seeing your ski edges tip up off the snow, or somebody confirming it's happening.
Skiing: falling down the mountain with style.
Smackboy1

Postby jbotti » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Generalizations are always dangerous but I think we can say that for the vast majority, until you have been to a camp and have been told non stop for three days that you are hardly tipping AND have spent many hours afterwards working on and developing your tipping muscles and skills, it's a very good bet that you aren't tipping enough.
Balance: Essential in skiing and in life!
jbotti

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:34 pm

I still don't tip enough!
Max_501

Postby MonsterMan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:31 pm

I still don't tip enough!

cheap bastard!
MonsterMan

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:01 pm

MonsterMan wrote:cheap bastard!

That's what she said! :D
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video