MA for hyper_squirrel

MA for hyper_squirrel

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Done on a dark green. Mostly let my poles hang on the side, not really thinking about them. Not really much focus this run, just a general 'see how I look now.' Usually when I ski I focus on counter and tipping. Anyway later on I hit an icy patch and I realized I like pushing off my stance ski which causes my ski to wash out, so I guess main things to work on, living on the ice coast, is CA and CB, and not pushing off. And other things but these are main things living at a small anthill where it's always icy. Sometime my stance will widen and I feel my stance ski pushing away even though I think my weight is pretty much all on my stance ski, LOL. Also, I'd like to try that CA drill with the poles horizonal, hooked through the ski pant's belt loops, but my belt loops are too small for my poles? Errrr

I only have an iphone video camera which can't zoom so I'm not sure how I would get a better quality vid. Sorry :(

Self MA:

Is the stance width appropriate for the size of the skier? Yes?
Does the release start by flexing the outside leg? I tend to pick it up usually, here I think so, but it looks knock kneed
Does LTE tipping lead engagement to the new turn? Yes?
Are the feet pulled back at transition? I think so
Is the inside foot held back throughout the turn? I think so
Is there enough CB and CA and is the timing right? Meh
Is the pelvis included in the CB/CA movement? Meh. One side is better than the other
Strong inside arm? No
Is the inside leg flexed as the turn progresses? Yes
Does the outside leg extend naturally (no pushing) as the turn progresses? Haha no.
Does LTE tipping of the inside foot continue throughout the turn? As much as I think I can.
Is the skier balanced over the outside ski? Yes
Is there a pole touch and how is the movement and timing? NO
Alignment - watch the skis and knees carefully - does anything look like it needs go be tipped in or out? Possibly...

hyper_squirrel7

Re: MA for hyper_squirrel

Postby sgarrozzo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:20 am

what I can see from my limited understanding of PMTS is that when you arrive at release you are on the back seat.
And when you transfer to the up hill ski your down hill ski goes apart and you release whit a large stance. :D
sgarrozzo

Postby geoffda » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 am

Hi hyper_squirrel,

Your single most important movement (SMIM) to work on is tipping. Yes, you are a bit in the back seat at times and that will be something to work on, but it isn't so bad that it will interfere with your ability to develop tipping skills.

Right now what is happening at transition is that you are pushing the new stance foot to big toe edge (BTE) as your first movement. You need to reverse that and start each turn by tipping your *old* stance foot to *little-toe-edge* (LTE). The top of the turn is about balance, not grip, so don't go looking for it by trying to get an "early edge". What you want to work on is the Super Phantom where you start each turn by transferring your balance (and all of your weight) to LTE and then pull back the inside ski (which will help get you out of the back seat) and lift the tail (which confirms your transfer) as you tip it. As an cue that you are doing this properly, touch the inside edge of the lifted ski to your boot. The edge that you touch should be adjacent to the middle of the arch of your foot; think of cupping your stance ankle with the arch of your free foot.

Drills to focus on would include the static tipping drills. In your ski boots on a flat surface, practice tipping by tipping first to LTE (focus on sequence--tip the foot matching the direction you want to turn first). Then draw an "S" in the snow and walk the S-line in your boots while tipping. At the transition (direction change) change edges by tipping to LTE first (which should give you an "O-frame"), then tip the new stance leg to BTE and continue walking the S-line. Once you've walked the S, turn around and do it in the opposite direction. The goal is to get the sequence ingrained.

Then start building some LTE skills. Start in a gentle traverse and try to balance entirely on LTE across the hill as you tap your downhill ski on the snow. Then reverse direction and try the other foot. The goal is to develop the ability to start each turn by balancing on LTE. Once you are confident with that, try some Phantom Javelins emphasizing establishing balance on LTE before you tip and move to BTE. From there, practice a ton of one footed releases (OFRs) as described in Anybody Can Be an Expert Skier 2.

By working on establishing a solid OFR in your skiing, you will eliminate the stem that you currently have in transition. By transferring weight and balance to your new stance foot LTE first, that will prevent you from pushing it to edge and force you to get there by tipping the new free foot to LTE.
geoffda

Postby Max_501 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:58 am

Do you have a tipping board for dryland training?

PMTS - Dryland Training with a Slantboard
Max_501

Postby hyper_squirrel7 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:46 pm

Question, does release come before pullback? Thanks for the ma geoffda!
hyper_squirrel7

Postby skijim13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:46 pm

The pullback is with the free foot which is the one that you have released and have transfered balance to your new stance ski. The free foot should be light and tipping to the LTE as you pull it back with you hamstring muscles. My wife and I will be up at the mountain this weekend working on PMTS, one of our drills this weekend will be to work in detail on the Super Phantom Move.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:29 pm

hyper_squirrel7 wrote:Question, does release come before pullback?

As you release pull both feet back and keep pulling them back during the float. Then, as the outside leg lengthens, continue to tip and pullback the inside foot for the rest of the turn.
Max_501

Postby milesb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Pullback is constant. In some instances you will pull back less at the end of a turn.
Actually, all PMTS movements are constant.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:32 pm

milesb wrote:Pullback is constant.

In PMTS pullback is via the hamstrings so it is anatomically impossible to pull the outside foot back while the outside leg is extended.

milesb wrote:Actually, all PMTS movements are constant.

Err...not sure what you mean. They are variable and change throughout the turn.
Max_501

Postby skijim13 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 am

Max good point about pulling both feet under you doing the float, many times I am so focused on freefoot pullback I foget to pull both feet under doing the float.
skijim13

Postby Max_501 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:42 am

Try to remember to pull back whenever you are flexing a leg. Do that and you should be good in the fore/aft department.
Max_501

Return to Movement Analysis and Video