MA for Bingster

Re: MA for Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 pm

Bingster wrote:Sure. I will try to take another video next time, probably on Jan. 1.

It would be more telling to see video of the Super Phantom with touch-tilt.
Max_501

Postby Bingster » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:07 am

Max_501 wrote:
Bingster wrote:Sure. I will try to take another video next time, probably on Jan. 1.

It would be more telling to see video of the Super Phantom with touch-tilt.

Then I will take a video of Super Phantom with touch-tilt instead.
Actually, I haven't been practicing short turns for the past several weeks and only focused on CB recently. So my short turns won't look good :)
Bingster

Postby jclayton » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Lots of CA and CB ....... in the head !

" Thanks for both of you.
I will try these drills that you recommend.
Bing "

Post videos of the drills you do . There is a lot going on in the free skiing
skinut ,among other things
jclayton

Postby Bingster » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:31 pm

jclayton wrote:Lots of CA and CB ....... in the head !
Post videos of the drills you do . There is a lot going on in the free skiing

:) People in the short turn camp noticed my unusual movements with my head. But I didn't pay much attention to that. I think I need to at least move my shoulders together with my head to make CA and CB work better.
Hopefully, I can go skiing this coming weekend and get more videos.

Thanks.
Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:04 pm

Bingster wrote:I think I need to at least move my shoulders together with my head to make CA and CB work better.

A further improvement would be to move your pelvis and have that be the reason the shoulders are moving.
Max_501

Postby Bingster » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 pm

I finally got the video for the drill of Super Phantom With Touch Tilt. This drill is not easy, especially when the snow is a little hard after yesterday's rain.

By doing this drill, I can tell that in the past, my inside foot is weighted too much. By lifting the inside foot, I started to feel different muscles are used. And I can even feel my CB is better now just by un-weighting the inside foot.

This is the video taken in the morning:

This is the video taken by the end of the day (but the video quality is not good).

I need to try to put what I learned from this drill into my skiing.

If you want to copy out to see it in a browser, here are the youtube links:
http://youtu.be/qQGHnWRLoic
http://youtu.be/r_TIHPBARfg
Last edited by Bingster on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bingster

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:22 am

It's certainly coming together - it can be a frustrating journey at times. I just have to ask, have you had your alignment checked/ adjusted? I only ask as in your top video, with your turns to the right, either you are not tipping enough or your alignment is out - A framing. Your right knee looks like it tracks inside of centre with the result that you can't tip enough to the right and you knee drops in too much turning left. Your left turns - tipping wise is much better. It is a easy tweak...

CA from the hips is probably the most obvious spot for me. You are tending to still CA and CB with your head, whilst your torso remains square on the skis. I found practicing the TFR releases really helped cement what CA & CB felt like as the starting position before you release is how you should finish up, either having completed a full turn or a garland..you will be able to isolate and work on all the essentials with this exercise....incidentally, It will also very quickly highlight any alignment imbalances..

Have a look at this:

Keep at it...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby nightsh » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:16 am

There is a perfect demo of super phantom in book 2 DVD. IMHO what's shown here is not the same thing. :roll:
Last edited by nightsh on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightsh

Postby Bingster » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:59 pm

Answering the post of go_large_or_go_home, my boot alignment is correct. It's done by Chris from the shop and small adjusted during the short turn camp.

As for CA, CB, I was trying hard for that drill of Super Phantom With Touch Tilt. It's not an easy drill for me that day. So I didn't pay attention to CA, CB and other essentials during the drill. Maybe I should. I will try again next time.

Thanks.
Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:25 pm

The next step is to keep the lifted foot off the snow throughout the turn to focus the balance over the stance foot. This might be easier on a flatter slope. Its OK to use smaller bushed turns.

NOTE - don't jump to the TFR drills just yet. Keep working on this drill. Try to get your pelvis to be a bigger part of CA/CB. Dryland can really help there.
Max_501

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Whatever max said.... :D

I hope you don't mind me jumping in there... I am learning so much, not just about my skiing but also about how to analyse others.
go_large_or_go_home

Postby Bingster » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 pm

go_large_or_go_home wrote:Whatever max said.... :D

I hope you don't mind me jumping in there... I am learning so much, not just about my skiing but also about how to analyse others.

Never mind. And I need to thank you for taking time analyze my videos. I think for now, I will follow Max's suggestions first.
Bingster

Postby dbillo » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:32 pm

nightsh wrote:There is a perfect demo of super phantom in book 1 DVD...

If I'm not mistaken, it's Book 2 DVD that introduces the super phantom.
dbillo

Postby MonsterMan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:49 pm

The next step is to keep the lifted foot off the snow throughout the turn to focus the balance over the stance foot.

question for Max501

Is this a way to trick a student into more counter balance without thinking counter balance?
"Someone once said to me that for us to beat the Europeans at winter sports was like Austria tackling us at Test cricket. I reckon it's an accurate judgement." Malcolm Milne
MonsterMan

Postby nightsh » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:01 pm

dbillo wrote:
nightsh wrote:There is a perfect demo of super phantom in book 1 DVD...

If I'm not mistaken, it's Book 2 DVD that introduces the super phantom.

Thanks for the correction. Yes indeed. (I have made a frame by frame version of it and put on my phone very long time ago, so forgot it was book 2 not 1).
nightsh

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video