MA for Bingster

MA for Bingster

Postby Bingster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:21 pm

This is my third year into PMTS. And PMTS totally changed my way of skiing. In the past 3 years, I took some PMTS private lessons and I attended the short turn camp this past November. I learned a lot from all of them.

I recently got a video in relatively good quality. So I hope I can get some suggestions here. I noticed that I popped during the transition here and there. I will fix that problem.
I know I must have lots of other problems. But what are the major problems? Which problem should I fix first to make a immediate difference?

Here is the video:

If you want to copy out to see it in a browser, here is the youtube link:
http://youtu.be/8NnaJnz1sws

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Bingster on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bingster

Re: MA for Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:33 pm

What was your main focus during the short turn camp?
Max_501

Postby Bingster » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:07 pm

"What was your main focus during the short turn camp?"
1. Counter Balance (main focus)
2. Fore/Aft Balance
3. Do not pop during transition
4. Counter Acting
Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:40 am

That is a good list. I would add inside foot management.
Max_501

Postby Bingster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 am

Max_501 wrote:That is a good list. I would add inside foot management.

By inside foot management you mean pull the inside foot back?
Bingster

Postby Max_501 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:34 pm

Inside foot management = pull back to stance boot, pull in to stance boot, tip to LTE

Spend some time working on the Super phantom with touch-tilt:

As in a regular super phantom, transfer balance to LTE of the uphill ski. Then, touch the inside edge of the lifted, dowhnill ski to the inside ankle rivet of the stance boot ("inside foot arch touches outside foot ankle"). Keep it touching while tipping the free foot further toward its LTE. Don't let that free foot touch the snow until the very end of the turn. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! At the end of the turn, when the free foot touches the snow on its LTE, immediately pick up the new free foot, and touch-tilt the new stance boot.

When learning, you can begin with keeping the tip of the free ski on the snow, but the goal is to keep the whole ski lifted throughout the turn which is a true test of your ability to balance on the outside ski.

Teach the Pole Press drill (pages 68 - 69 of book 2) to one of your friends and ask them to spend a few minutes working with you so you get the feel for the muscular effort needed to keep the inside foot under control.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:09 pm

I'd suggest some double pole drag to work on elimination of your up move and outside pole drag to improve the CB.
HighAngles

Postby Bingster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks for both of you.
I will try these drills that you recommend.

Bing
Bingster

Postby Kiwi » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Bingster

Looking like a PMTS SKIER

Watching the CA in the video the hips stop countering quite early and the shoulders continue rotating, this it seems to me, is twisting your torso. CA comes from the hips and is only matched by the shoulders. The power, if I can use that word, comes from the hips. I had to spend time freeing up my hips to get the benefits of CAing, and still do, but it is worth it.

+1 on keeping the inside foot back and next to the stance foot. Pulling the inside foot back, old stance foot, at transition then holding it back thru the turn works wonders.

I find roll overs good for flexing practice. Consciously keeping the inside leg flexed thru transition and matching the new inside leg flex to it, before letting the new stance leg extend at the end if transition, can help a lot.

When you add in the Cb and fore aft the skiing looks fluid and dynamic.
Kiwi

Postby HighAngles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:39 am

CA was #4 on Bingster's list and I would keep it low on the list; that's not where the focus needs to be until some of the other essentials are improved. Max didn't come right out and say it, but the drills for the inside foot management are really about improving Bingster's tipping and balance first. We all know that PMTS starts with tipping, so for Bingster I believe that the focus needs to be on tipping correctly with proper CB & fore/aft. He doesn't have perfect CA and for right now that's OK. If I were his coach I wouldn't even comment on his CA initially as long as he's at least not fully squaring up with his skis. Sure there are lots of Essentials that need work, but we need to start from the bottom of the kinetic chain and the tipping is just not where it needs to be without further work.
HighAngles

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 am

Bingster wrote:I will try these drills that you recommend.

Review this article, The Pelvis in Counterbalancing, and work on lifting the inside of your pelvis (dryland) before your next day on the hill.

Then do the pole press drill to the point that you have mastered the muscles required to keep the inside boot against the outside boot (first on dryland then on snow).

Then, when you hit the slopes and work on the Super Phantom with touch-tilt make sure you are lifting the inside hip (as practiced on dryland) when you CB. Lifing the hip combined with inside foot management should give you a much stronger sense of balance (and therefore grip) over the outside ski.
Max_501

Postby Kiwi » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am

Agree, more weight on the stance ski, get the feet together more, free foot management and correct the extension as the start or main focus.

I think Cb without CA will be limiting because the movement of the pelvis is so important hence my comment on CA. Also if you have a flexibility of the hip issue better to address it sooner rather than later in my experience.

The biggest gain I think will ultimately come from fore aft balance control but I personally wouldn't push this yet. While not as far forward as I would like to see at transition Bingster is not struggling so my emphasis would be on feet and a good flex to release, inside foot tipping, CA/CB together, then forward for transition, in that order.

I think you must have feet together and a good flex to release before addressing fore aft.

That said the only person I coach is myself.
Kiwi

Postby Max_501 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Kiwi wrote:The biggest gain I think will ultimately come from fore aft balance...

I suppose that depends on how one defines "gain". In this case the SMIM is CB and therefore improvement will be limited until that is addressed. So, at this point the biggest gain will come from CB.

Kiwi wrote:I think you must have feet together and a good flex to release before addressing fore aft.

The order depends on the SMIM. If you have a student that is hanging off the back of the boots then fore/aft will need to be addressed before anything else.
Max_501

Postby HighAngles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:49 pm

After watching your video a couple more times I have a request for your next video (if you don't mind). Try to keep your turns in a more narrow corridor with your upper body staying in the fall line (IOW more SL than GS type turns).
HighAngles

Postby Bingster » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:10 pm

HighAngles wrote:After watching your video a couple more times I have a request for your next video (if you don't mind). Try to keep your turns in a more narrow corridor with your upper body staying in the fall line (IOW more SL than GS type turns).

Sure. I will try to take another video next time, probably on Jan. 1.
Bingster

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video