Base edge bevel

Post your questions/comments about Gear here

Base edge bevel

Postby Cleveland » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:11 am

I believe Harald recommends a 1/2 degree base edge bevel. I have generally used 1 degree base and 3 degrees side. I've got two slalom skis I hope to take into the shop this week, and have been thinking about:
a) having one pair tuned to 1/2 and 3 degrees, and
b) having the other pair tuned to 0 and 3 degrees
Then I'll compare my skiing using each

I recreational raced for many years here in Ohio, haven't for a few, but hope to do a little this year.
I'm a fairly advanced skier. I've been lurking on the forum for many years. I've read ACBAES1 & 2 multiple times each and watched the corresponding videos. Same with Essentials and the Performance free skiing video.

Do any of you have recommendations, comments, or thoughts? Is the 0 and 3 too radical?

Thank You
Cleveland

Re: Base edge bevel

Postby Max_501 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:09 am

Cleveland wrote:Is the 0 and 3 too radical?

Yes.
Max_501

Postby JMD » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:19 am

I think you will really enjoy a .5/3 bevel tune on true slalom skis. The 0 degree base bevel is too radical. Harold has stated he also likes a 'Radial Base Bevel' (.7 tip and tail/.4 underfoot base--3 degree side) on many of his skis.
JMD

Postby Ken » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:42 am

Ask the shop tech how they calibrate their machine and check the bevel on the ski edges. If you just get a slack look, don't count on getting what you ask for.

http://www.tognar.com/fk-side-base-bevel-gauge/
Rooster today
Feather duster tomorrow

VIDEO OF NOT ME
Ken

Postby theorist » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:32 pm

Most shops do the tune by machine; these tend not to be accurate, even if the shop claims they've calibrated it. To have the best chance of getting what you want, you'll need to get a hand tune by someone with significant experience (preferably tuning racing skis, since their tunes tend to be the most critical). And as Ken suggested, check the bevel afterwards. Also note that, if your base bevel is currently 1, going down to 0 requires removing some of the base (I don't know how much this takes away from the longevity of the ski -- perhaps someone else could comment).
theorist

Postby Cleveland » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the advice, all. I took the skis in last weekend requesting a 0.5/3.0 bevel on each. I didn't talk to a tech, but the shop advertises their Wintersteiger machine as state of the art. Anyway, I hope they get it close.
Cleveland

Return to Gear