Another example of complete misunderstanding of skiing.

PMTS Forum

Re: Another example of complete misunderstanding of skiing.

Postby h.harb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm

But you are your crew at Welch are not defensive about what you learn that is different from what you know. This is a level of enlightenment not seen in most ski schools.
h.harb

Postby Ihamilton » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:46 pm

HH wrote:

I often think we should be charging the student by how many TTS lessons they have taken. The more they have taken, the more we should charge.

Yikes!! I had about 2.5 decades of tts, there should be a limitation period.
Ihamilton

Postby h.harb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:55 pm

And you are still sane enough to talk about it. Next step, send the bills directly to the CSIA or PSIA home office.
h.harb

Postby skijim13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 am

PMTS instructor video is excellent, funny the PSIA does not make anything close. I got back my PSIA technical manual from a friend who borrowed it for the past year. After studying PMTS for the past year, I found not only the information to be not correct but the demo pictures had poor form. This season I will be using techniques in the video to help improve my students.
skijim13

Postby skijim13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:37 am

Here a video on skiing stacked not much CA sometimes outside hand leads turn instead of inside hand also drops inside hand during turns, in the back seat position in part of turns, not much CB in the lower portion of the arc looking at the zipper his angle is not 150 degress or less and it is not facing his stance boot, traditional up movement to start turns, looks similiar to drill called hip touch turns but instead he is using the outside hand instead of the inside hand
skijim13

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:19 am

Actually the exercise creates the backward or reverse results to what you want. THis is typical of BASI, the British ski school system. The only thing so far I've seen them have right is their ski tips in front.
h.harb

Postby Skiasaurus Rex » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 pm

Yeah, those BASI guys are consistently the WORST ski advisors on the web. And the worst demo skiers. I mean, I can't even say: "well, they're athletic if not graceful skiers" or some other caveat often given to name ski demo guys. Their skiing always looks just plain awkward. I'm surprised that England doesn't just latch onto a continental ski instruction system-I mean, it looks like all their skiing is in the alps anyway.

I don't get the sense that they have much of an internet following, though.
Skiasaurus Rex

Postby h.harb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

Rex, you have it right on. England is an Island, they are mostly worried about swimming (water skiing is great) and it's a good activity, but they are making a mess of sliding down mountains.

No seriously, in every context and I've seen BASI instructors operate here in North America, places like Fernie, BC. Vail, and also often at Hinertux, they are terrible skiers, instructors and technicians. Good thing there is the Queen, Sir Bradley and Chris Fromme. Sorry, late addition: And their Demo Team looks like a back yard, high school, pick-up team, I had one on my training staff (shortly) at Winter park, hopeless.
h.harb

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 am

This is, sadly, very true.. No redeeming features at all. Best thing this chap could do is slide off the slope backwards out of camera shot....where does that skiing style come from anyway - apart from a complete misunderstanding about almost everything???

I wouldn't waste my money an ANY BASI instructor - sorry you had a crap experience with one on your training staff....what can I say? Why is the attitude towards skiing coaching any different from waterski coaching? Britain has had some of the best slalom waterskiers of all time? You have skied with them...
go_large_or_go_home

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

Agreed, British waterskiing is over the top. Sometimes the most stubborn are those that have just discovered something or made something of their own, without much background or experience. Also trying to be different, just to be different, from the main land Alpine nations can be a motivation. But I can't believe they don't see how bad their skiing is, maybe they do and that alone can cause an attitude. I'm sure the Brits teaching skiing, feel inferior to the Austrians, French and Swiss. Britain has had some good ski racers, like Alan Baxter. But that has nothing to do with the instruction part.

Most skiers from Britain do end up in the Alps if they become serious. There is no reason British instructors can't ski as well as people from other European nations, they could be a powerhouse ski nation, but not with their national instruction system the way it is now.
h.harb

Postby nipper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 am

There are a few of us Brits who have drunk the Kool aid
nipper

Postby h.harb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 am

Nipper you are right, there are more than a few, overall there are so many skiers in Britain that don't have a way of finding out the message, however.
h.harb

Postby nipper » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:10 am

I feel like an evangelist. I have been spreading the word about PMTS for the last few years and have found that the majority have been quite receptive. The problem is that it is not well known and the default is to go to the people who are perceived to be the experts, namely BASI. I only found PMTS by accident and am grateful that I did, although I am a bit peeved having spent about 30 years skiing and believing the TTS rubbish. Better late than never.
nipper

Postby go_large_or_go_home » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Has it to anything to do with the fact that the guys (BASI) have never been elite skiers in their own right? Would any of the top skiers that you have coached teach anything different to what you taught them? (Edited due rethink - sorry)
go_large_or_go_home

Postby skijim13 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:28 am

The PSIA is similar, they consider themselves to be the experts and will not listen to any new ideas if it did not come from the PSIA. My coworkers have a closed mine to PMTS. My friend who failed his level III skiing exam three times will not even talk to me about PMTS we me, instead he rather give more money to the PSIA to fail a fouth time and continue to use the wrong movements in his skiing.
skijim13

PreviousNext

Return to Primary Movements Teaching System