MA request for mikeskier

MA request for mikeskier

Postby mikeskier » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:29 am

Hello everyone,

i am new to this forum, so i'd like to introduce myself first. I am from germany and 36 years old. I started skiing last year and recently finished my third week of skiing. I am traveling with a group of students from the berlin humboldt university (organized ski-trips), where we also have skiing class. We are taught traditional skiing (e.g. wide stance etc.). After the second week of skiing i realized, that i would not become a better skier using the technics they taught me. At this time i already knew about pmts but didn't buy any books.
So i decided to give pmts a try. Unfortunately i became sick and only could ski in the morning, so i had not very much time to do any pmts drills (we had normal ski lessons in the morning). I tried to apply the pmts movements in the normal lessons. In three weeks i am going on my next ski-holiday and there i will take more time to do some drills. But in the meantime i would appreciate any feedback about my actual skiing and if its basically going into the right direction.

In my opionion i have a completely lack of pole swing, sometimes i loose my counteracting. More tipping and expecially more flexing could be also helpful. I try to release through flexing, but sometimes i notice some little up/down movements.

Any suggestions are welcome. I am happy to be here :D

mikeskier

Re: MA request for mikeskier

Postby arothafel » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 am

Wow....! Others will provide better MA than I can give... BUT... for only one year of skiing you are skiing incredibly well. There are plenty of skiers with more than 10-20 years of skiing that do not ski as well as you.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your videos.
arothafel

Postby serious » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 pm

I don't see release through flexing. I see you stepping off the downhill ski so I would work harder on that. Yes there could be more counteracting and tipping, but I would concentrate on the ability to lift and tip as opposed to pushing off the downhill ski.
serious

Postby Max_501 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Tipping is your Single Most Important Movement (SMIM). Next up would be flexing to release. You can practice both by working on the phantom (lift/tip/and pullback the new inside ski). Once you get that working spend some time with CB drills.
Max_501

Postby polecat » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Welcome to the party, mikeskier!

I have to agree, for a newcomer you're doing great.

mikeskier wrote:.... In my opionion i have a completely lack of pole swing, ...

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Most people who start out skiing with traditional instruction develop a poor pole swing that needs to be fixed. You haven't had time to build a bad pole swing yet. (I envy you, there are lots of bad habits you don't have yet and if you stick with PMTS you'll never have them. I'm working hard to break years of bad habits.)

In PMTS we have the "no-swing" pole plant. If you counteract, counterbalance and flex strongly you barely need to move your arms at all to swing your poles. The pole plant is done with a very small motion of the wrist and elbow.

polecat

Postby mikeskier » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 am

First of all: thanks for your replies!

From what i read i think i should start from bottom up, like max_501 recommended. So the first thing i start with is to concentrate more on tipping.
@max_501
I really tried to tip, but without lifting, only by lightening the old stance ski. Maybe my tipping action is too marginal...? Would you recommend first to learn it by lifting the ski completely and lightening only as second step?

@serious
Yes, i think you are right. I just try to do it, but it doesn't work very well yet. If i flex more its much easier but i found it tought to keep my muscles deeply flexed all the time when i ski.

Thanks for your help. Its not that easy learning all the movements by myself if noone can show me practically how to do it, so i appreciate your feedback! At the beginning of march, i have time to do more drills.
mikeskier

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 am

Any of the tipping drills will help but remember that tipping is easier when the legs are flexed (bent). When skiing it may be easier to use the phantom because it includes a full release of the outside foot which is something that is missing in the video above. With regards to amount of tipping - "Tip, tip, and tip more".

mikeskier wrote:If i flex more its much easier but i found it tought to keep my muscles deeply flexed all the time when i ski.

There is no reason to stay flexed all of the time. Just flex to release.
Max_501

Postby mikeskier » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Hi to all.

I spent a wonderful week in Sölden. Main problem still is, that i receive traditional ski lessons. But its ok, after i explained my teacher i do it my way. So waht i do is to concentrate in pmts movements everytime i ski. I also had some time to do some pmts exercises for tipping and flexing. I think tipping is still my smim but at all i feel way better when i ski. Release through flexing sometimes work, sometimes not, but i definetly get a better feeling for it.

I post a sample video of my progress and hope you can give me some hints, if you can see some changes in my skiing and what to focus on next season. For me, it almost looks the same to my last videos except that now i flex more when skiing. I think my stance width is ok, but i don't have much foot pullback.

Also i have a question about using pmts on steeps and speed control. If i focus on early tipping in high c part of the turn, its easier not to gain too much speed. But sometimes its not enough. Is skiing a brushed carve an option? I don't try to skid, but isn't a brushed carve a controlled way of skidding? Maybe i am totally wrong here, so i hope you can make this more clear to me. Btw, next year i will try to post better videos.

Thanks for all replies!!!

mikeskier

Postby milesb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm

The top of your turns on steeps are going to be "brushed" until you get good enough to carve it ( much more likely will be an unintended pivot). A good brush on steeps involves very strong pullback, strong and early inside ski tipping, and staying flexed in the high c. Then you add as much counterbalance and counteracting as needed.
In other words, it's going to take alot of PMTS work to be able to make good turns on the steeps.
YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH78E6wIKnq3Fg0eUf2MFng
milesb

Postby geoffda » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:00 am

A brushed carve is not a skid. In a skid, the tails of the ski displace towards the outside of the turn. In a brushed carve, the entire ski displaces uniformly. Because of that, the entire ski remains bent and tracks in an arc. In a brush carve, you will generally see the half-moon shaped track, but you will see a line within the half moon that shows the displacement of the inside ski. If you don't see that, it means that the inside ski was steered and the resulting tail slide wiped out the track. If you don't see a defined line delineating the outside of the track, it means the outside ski was steered and the resulting tail slide wiped out the track.

Think of a brushed carve as a carved (edge-locked) turn where the skis were not tipped to the necessary angles quickly enough in order to hold. The same movements that we would use to make an edge-locked carve turn are still applied. You can also induce a brush by differential tipping--aggressively tipping the free foot while holding back the stance foot will cause a brush. Often all that is necessary with respect to the stance foot is simply to avoid tightening the ankle.

The best way to develop a brushed carve turn is to practice two-footed-releases. Once you can do them reliably in both directions, try linking them. Doing that will give you a "no frills" brushed carve that you can build on.

In terms of your skiing, Max_501's advice is what you need to follow. You need to learn how to tip. Right now you are not releasing the ski. Instead you stem the downhill ski and stand on it to give yourself a platform with which to flatten the uphill ski. What you need to be doing is flexing the downhill ski to flatten it and then continue to tip it to engage the little-toe-edge. Flex the old stance leg to release, (which also transfers balance) and tip that foot to engage.
geoffda

Postby h.harb » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Mike,

Our instructors are now in Hintertux for a two week camp. If you have a chance stop-in for a beer, they are really friendly. They are staying at the Hintertuxerhof.

Look for Diana, Jay, Chris, or Jasper.

BTW. Great skiing for only one year. Nice.
h.harb

Postby mikeskier » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:00 am

@miles & geoff

Thanks for further explanation. I will try to apply your description in my skiing starting from two or one footed release next year! Now season is over!

@Harald
Thanks for your compliment! Unfortunately i don't have the possibility to come by but i think about joining a camp at hintertux next year. I am not
sure though, if the time is right, because actually i am not able to ski off-piste. I read something about this at your camp details. Maybe you can help me out
and tell me your opinion!

Kind regards and thanks for your Feedback!
mikeskier

Postby h.harb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am

The Hintertux Camp can be skied totally on groomed, there are many levels of skiers.
h.harb

Postby mikeskier » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Happy new year to the fantastic PMTS community :D

I had a nice trip to kirchberg with much skiing fun.

I tried to concentrate on max advice to focus on tipping. The tipping drills are not that easy. At first i had problems with equal weight distribution over both skis, so i tried to lighten the inside ski more. I made some progress with tipping to release the ski, so i am not stepping of the outside ski that often.
Problems arise mostly when i have to much weight on the inside ski. As you can see in this thread i started to learn pmts using the phantom move. I wonder how this one footed skiing relates to the two footed skiing shown in the tipping essentials? I struggle on icy underground, i think i am not getting enough angles. Every time i slide down i feel uncontrolled. Maybe this would be called brushed carving, but actually it doesn't feel good for me.

From my videos i would make some analysation and would ask for some additional guidance in the forum:
1. Tipping to engage is slightly better, tipping to release also (Tipping is still my SMIM)
2. I am a bit in the backseat, i should concentrate more on pullback of the inside foot
3. To increase my tipping angles, i should add some counterbalancing drills and shouldn't focus only on tipping drills
4. More counterbalancing is necessary, for me it looks like i incline (unconsciously) sometimes
5. I think i have a alignment problem (bow-legged), but i will not fix this before next season

My focus for my next skiing holiday would be a) more tipping drills b) counterbalancing drills to get better tipping angles.

Any advice or hint would be appreciated! Wish you a great winter!
mikeskier

Postby Max_501 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:50 am

Nice work but you are leaning rather than tipping to start the turn. Work on the tipping drills to get the feel for really tipping the inside foot to the LTE. Then do some CB drills. Then take what you have learned and try to balance over the outside ski when lifting and tipping the inside ski via the Super Phantom turn.

Do you have these?

Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 1 - Book & Dvd

Anyone Can Be An Expert Skier 2 - Book & Dvd

Do you have a tipping board for dryland training?

PMTS - Dryland Training with a Slantboard
Max_501

Next

Return to Movement Analysis and Video