MA request for deicreo

Re: MA request for deicreo

Postby jepoupatout » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Hi Deicreo, my thought is that you are not holding your free foot back. Check your video again and let us know if you can see that.
jepoupatout

Postby deicreo » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 am

Yes, I can see that. Though, I think in comparison to previous season now it is slightly better with this issue; holding free foot back.
In short turns compilation, to my eye, free foot is in good position. In big arcs, especially on the right turn, the right leg tends to be to much forward.
deicreo

Postby deicreo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 am

In this new season, I come here again to get the idea of what is my skiing development like.
For any comments thanks in advance.

This is an atempt to make some power release type turns
deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:03 am

deicreo wrote:In this new season, I come here again to get the idea of what is my skiing development like.
For any comments thanks in advance.

Have you done any super phantom work?
Max_501

Postby deicreo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Have you done any super phantom work?

No, I have not done super phantom drills yet.
At the moment I am doing drills described in ACBAES 1: Phantom move, TFR + Linked javelin turns and flexing exercises.
I wanted to improve my inside leg which was often getting too far forward. As far as this have been adressed, It still does not lead into new turn during transition,
which is sth that worries me.
deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:43 pm

SMIM is reducing stance width while getting balanced over the outside ski.

To start work on getting the weight off the inside ski. One test is to lift the inside ski and bring it in closer to the outside ski. With this movement you can immediately see if you are balanced over the outside ski.

Next work on more flexing of the inside leg and tipping the inside foot to higher angles. Note that you won't be able to do this until you get solidly balanced over the outside ski.

Book 2 has great info on free foot management and the super phantom.
Max_501

Postby deicreo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 am

SMIM is reducing stance width while getting balanced over the outside ski.

To start work on getting the weight off the inside ski. One test is to lift the inside ski and bring it in closer to the outside ski. With this movement you can immediately see if you are balanced over the outside ski.

Max_501 thanks for your comment. However, I must point out that I feel balanced over the outside ski almost in every turn. It does not seem so because I am still looking too wide on the skis.
Also because I still do not perform appropriate phantom move to shift a weight to the new outside ski. Still I can assure you that I can lift the inside leg in the middle of the arc without problems.
I put short video riding on the outside leg almost the whole arc. Please notice the single line that I am leaving on the snow.

One thing that highly improved my balance over BTE and ability to tip the skis especially to LTE is the supinated footbed that I made for myself.
I am also playing with duct tape to get the canting awerness. Having no experience in alignment I come to the conclusion that I need 2 degress out on my right leg and probably 1 degree out on left.
As I eductated myself a bid I know that investment in proper alignment is a must. The proper one is the HSS.
deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 am

If you don't believe me perhaps this observation from Harald Harb...

Harald Harb wrote:First, he has to get his weight off the inside ski.

...will add credibility to the MA I provided?

deicreo wrote:However, I must point out that I feel balanced over the outside ski almost in every turn. It does not seem so because I am still looking too wide on the skis.

If you spend more time reading the forum posts you will find that our feelings are often misleading. Video doesn't lie and the video shows that you have too much weight on the inside ski.

deicreo wrote:Still I can assure you that I can lift the inside leg in the middle of the arc without problems.

Please note that the instruction said to lift the inside leg and bring it closer to the outside ski.

deicreo wrote:Please notice the single line that I am leaving on the snow.

If you would have checked those tracks when you were skiing you would have seen two lines. The single line in the video is the result of lighting and the smoothing that happens during video compression. Details like this are often lost when uploaded to youtube (and sometimes even the camera won't pick them up). Here is a frame from the turn above. You can see that the inside ski is solidly engaged and throwing snow.

Max_501

Postby deicreo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 pm

Max_501,

you left me here greatly flat-footed. But that is very good.
I do appreciate that you treated my posts with such a severity.
Good MA is in my best interest and it would be senseless if I argued.
As I see I should also thank you for consulting the video with Harald, which I was not aware of.
deicreo

Postby ChuckT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Max_501 wrote:
If you spend more time reading the forum posts you will find that our feelings are often misleading. Video doesn't lie (...)

I should know. My good feelings are always ruined by a video. I'll take Max's MA over my own feelings any time without hesitation.

That aside, could anyone clue me in on what the issue is with that picture of deicreo's skiing? He is putting some weight on the inside ski inappropriately in this case? When is it ok or desirable to have some weight on the inside ski in a carve? I thought the picture looks very good.
ChuckT

Postby deicreo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

ChuckT,

in one of the above post I wrote:
I put short video riding on the outside leg almost the whole arc. Please notice the single line that I am leaving on the snow.

The picture is taken by Max from the aforementioned video, showing that my inside leg is engaged.
deicreo

Postby ChuckT » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

deicreo wrote:The picture is taken by Max from the aforementioned video, showing that my inside leg is engaged.

Yes, but is that bad? Yours looks somewhat similar to a reflection of Max's avatar which shows the inside ski has some weight on it too. I just wonder when or in which carving situation should one has weight on the inside ski, and how much.
ChuckT

Postby HeluvaSkier » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Deicreo,
You need to focus on basic tipping and stance ski balancing drills. Currently your only method for putting the skis on edge is hip dumping. This is why your skiing has such an unnatural appearance of CA. You aren't using CA to counteract tipping/turning that the skis are doing, you're using it to make the entire turn.
Discipline is the refining fire by which talent becomes ability.

www.youtube.com/c/heluvaskier
HeluvaSkier

Postby deicreo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:06 pm

HeluvaSkier wrote,
Deicreo,
You need to focus on basic tipping and stance ski balancing drills. Currently your only method for putting the skis on edge is hip dumping. This is why your skiing has such an unnatural appearance of CA. You aren't using CA to counteract tipping/turning that the skis are doing, you're using it to make the entire turn.

Heluva,

thanks for your comment especially that you first mentioned the hip dumping issue. Correct me if I am wrong: hip dumping means that it moves back and forth, up and down whereas it should be relatively in one place. To be honest I did not pay attention to it at all.

One comment I would like to make about overCActnig. I figured it out that tough being rather bowlegged, my legs in skiing position give knock knees effect.
It is still present and some rotated femur can easilly be spoted on the right leg especially. I made some changes to the boot set up that helped a lot but still my legs are tipped in. This to some extend might explain my efforts not to skid the turn.
deicreo

Postby Max_501 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:48 pm

ChuckT wrote:That aside, could anyone clue me in on what the issue is with that picture of deicreo's skiing?

The single frame was only used as an example to show that the inside ski was loaded. What we are MAing is the skiing shown in the video.
Max_501

PreviousNext

Return to Movement Analysis and Video